PDA

View Full Version : LMS and two networked computers

dasmueller
2015-06-12, 10:15
I recently bought a 2nd computer a laptop. Eventually my desktop will die and I wanted a laptop for travelling. I have the same version of LMS installed on both the desktop and the laptop. Yesterday I set up LMS on the laptop to read the library attached to the desktop and scanned the library. The scan ran for hours and would not complete. I restarted the scan at least once and left it running overnight This morning it had completed. It for some reason shows 161 fewer tracks than LMS running on the desktop. Is this possibly just LMS total track numbers not being reliable ?

I will probably run a new and changed media files scan and see what happens.

I have also set up a homegroup to share files between the two computers. I can control my squeezeboxes from the laptop using LMS installed on the laptop, or by accessing LMS on the desktop using the homegroup. Is there a preferred way between the two methods ? Curious as to what others do.

epoch1970
2015-06-12, 10:30
The diff in number of scanned files could well be related to access rights which might differ between networked and local access.

Why run 2 servers, really ?
You'll end up with some players connected to one server and some to the other, meet inconsistent players histories (that's tied to the server, not to the player) and possibly variations in players prefs... Plus, when you move a player from one server to another, it shows up in the web interface of both servers for a while.
LMS is not really designed for that.

BTH, I do have 2 servers installs on my Lan. But I never use both at the same time.

garym
2015-06-12, 10:39
I recently bought a 2nd computer a laptop. Eventually my desktop will die and I wanted a laptop for travelling. I have the same version of LMS installed on both the desktop and the laptop. Yesterday I set up LMS on the laptop to read the library attached to the desktop and scanned the library. The scan ran for hours and would not complete. I restarted the scan at least once and left it running overnight This morning it had completed. It for some reason shows 161 fewer tracks than LMS running on the desktop. Is this possibly just LMS total track numbers not being reliable ?

I will probably run a new and changed media files scan and see what happens.

I have also set up a homegroup to share files between the two computers. I can control my squeezeboxes from the laptop using LMS installed on the laptop, or by accessing LMS on the desktop using the homegroup. Is there a preferred way between the two methods ? Curious as to what others do.

1. LMS track count is reliable (exact) for me across different installs of LMS. I'd start with the complete new rescan before going any further (on *both* machines). Just to be clear, are you saying that in your laptop LMS, you've set the music library to be the drive that is attached to the desktop (so the laptop is scanning those files as if they are in a network drive, across the network). If yes, that should work fine, but it probably does take a lot longer, depending on the network.

2. In terms of control, it is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Whatever works best. But, do keep in mind that you now have 2 instances of LMS and your SB players will be connected to one vs the other. So if you're accessing LMS webGUI to control, make sure you're accessing the correct LMS. In my own case, the main LMS is running on a linux server that's on 24/7. But I control that from my laptop. for example, in my LAPTOP, in the webbrowser, I have a bookmark for:
http://192.168.1.16:9000/

This actually is controlling the LMS that is on my linux server in the closet. The linux server's IP address is "192.168.1.16". So, for example, if you want to mostly have your SB players connected to the LMS running on your Desktop, you'd change the "192.168.1.16" above to the IP address of your Desktop. Also, best to make sure the Desktop keeps the same IP address (some routers allow you to "reserve" an IP address for anything connected to local network).

EDIT: on the machine itself (laptop or desktop), one can always get to the LMS that is running on that specific machine by using this in the browser address line (assuming LMS is started and running on that machine)
http://localhost:9000/

3. Unless I needed to for some specific reason, I'd likely keep only ONE of the LMS installs running, just to simplify things. I too have multiple computers that all have LMS. And I keep them updated and the music library scanned. But for regular use, only the main LMS in my linux server is "active". This said, they can all be running at the same time, but your players have to be connected to ONE of the LMS instances only. Also, be sure to name the MUSIC LIBRARY in each LMS instance differently so it is clear which LMS you are connecting to. I have "Vortexbox - Home", "Vortexbox - Backup" and "LMS - Laptop" as my LMS music library names.

dasmueller
2015-06-12, 11:24
1. LMS track count is reliable (exact) for me across different installs of LMS. I'd start with the complete new rescan before going any further (on *both* machines). Just to be clear, are you saying that in your laptop LMS, you've set the music library to be the drive that is attached to the desktop (so the laptop is scanning those files as if they are in a network drive, across the network). If yes, that should work fine, but it probably does take a lot longer, depending on the network.

2. In terms of control, it is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Whatever works best. But, do keep in mind that you now have 2 instances of LMS and your SB players will be connected to one vs the other. So if you're accessing LMS webGUI to control, make sure you're accessing the correct LMS. In my own case, the main LMS is running on a linux server that's on 24/7. But I control that from my laptop. for example, in my LAPTOP, in the webbrowser, I have a bookmark for:
http://192.168.1.16:9000/

This actually is controlling the LMS that is on my linux server in the closet. The linux server's IP address is "192.168.1.16". So, for example, if you want to mostly have your SB players connected to the LMS running on your Desktop, you'd change the "192.168.1.16" above to the IP address of your Desktop. Also, best to make sure the Desktop keeps the same IP address (some routers allow you to "reserve" an IP address for anything connected to local network).

EDIT: on the machine itself (laptop or desktop), one can always get to the LMS that is running on that specific machine by using this in the browser address line (assuming LMS is started and running on that machine)
http://localhost:9000/

3. Unless I needed to for some specific reason, I'd likely keep only ONE of the LMS installs running, just to simplify things. I too have multiple computers that all have LMS. And I keep them updated and the music library scanned. But for regular use, only the main LMS in my linux server is "active". This said, they can all be running at the same time, but your players have to be connected to ONE of the LMS instances only. Also, be sure to name the MUSIC LIBRARY in each LMS instance differently so it is clear which LMS you are connecting to. I have "Vortexbox - Home", "Vortexbox - Backup" and "LMS - Laptop" as my LMS music library names.

LMS on the laptop is scanning the drive attached to the desktop across the network I can understand it taking longer I just thought the amount of time was crazy. I suppose I could attach my backup library drive to the laptop and use that. I will check how the two Library names are set currently. I also want to check accessing Squeezeplay on the desktop from the laptop. I am guessing only through the Webui

garym
2015-06-12, 11:28
LMS on the laptop is scanning the drive attached to the desktop across the network I can understand it taking longer I just thought the amount of time was crazy. I suppose I could attach my backup library drive to the laptop and use that. I will check how the two Library names are set currently. I also want to check accessing Squeezeplay on the desktop from the laptop. I am guessing only through the Webui

I have a gigabit wired network and copying/scanning across the network takes way longer (not sure but 10 or 20 times longer wouldn't surprise me). I have a backup USB drive that I attach to my laptop and let LMS on the laptop scan that USB drive.

I use squeezeplay too for a lot of control activity. I have squeezeplay running on my windows laptop, but it is CONTROLLING the LMS running on my linux server. Within Squeezeplay menu on the laptop, I choose the LMS library I want, which in my case is the library on the *other* server (not the laptop). Just install squeezeplay on the laptop then choose the LMS library on your DESKTOP. Then squeezeplay on laptop will be controlling your players and your desktop LMS. Squeezeplay on your laptop is no different from an app on a smartphone. the app is controlling LMS located somewhere else.