PDA

View Full Version : Do not eat ?

Mnyb
2015-06-11, 21:41
On the funny side .

My Meridian gear arrived from the repairshop this morning ( yeesss )

And ofcourse there was one of these little desiccant bags with silica gel beads . The little bag is marked " do not eat " ok but why ?
Why not the foam padding or the box itself ?

Clearly it's must be marked for a reason ( ofcourse it's not a good thing to eat , they can be chemically treated ).

But there must been a time when they where not marked and someone was going " yummy silica gel " :P

It's one of those things that get more silly the longer you think about it , time for a Frank Zappa tune why not " don't eat the yellow snow "

Fizbin
2015-06-11, 21:59
Some little kid probably ate one. Of course what happens if they can't read?

Grumpy Bob
2015-06-11, 22:26
I guess they are general purpose desiccants that may also be used in food packaging?

Robert

Mnyb
2015-06-11, 23:41
I guess they are general purpose desiccants that may also be used in food packaging?

Robert

Aha a rationall explanation , good work :)

I never seen that but then i dont live in a climate where its necessary to use these for dry food items . ( some restaruants do put rice grains in the salt jar for this reason )

DJanGo
2015-06-12, 00:04
Noop,

the Americanos are are very strange community.

"Dont dry your Pets in this Microwave" "Attention Coffee is Hot" and other words are written to every thing that an Americano tried out find out it not good and cause of it not written on this he goes to the curt and gets a lot of Money....

Mnyb
2015-06-12, 02:28
Noop,

the Americanos are are very strange community.

"Dont dry your Pets in this Microwave" "Attention Coffee is Hot" and other words are written to every thing that an Americano tried out find out it not good and cause of it not written on this he goes to the curt and gets a lot of Money....

That is a factor ;) one of my faws in that area is that you shall not "trim your hedge with the lawnmover" ,it's apearently been done , someone with less than 10 fingers probaly sued someone else .

My old Thorens LP player had written in it's manual that it should not be used outside in rain , wtf ! I want to DJ in a torential storm :P

toby10
2015-06-12, 05:49
Oh yes. We American's are law suit happy indeed. TV/radio/print are inundated with law firm ads for every conceivable way to ransom every product/service out there.

Other good examples of silly labels (surely the result of law suits):
Lawn Mower: "keep hands & feet away from this area" (spinning cutting blades)
Snow Blower: "do not use on roof"

This is why, in my business, we refuse to sell our products to consumers. We sell exclusively to industrial clients who maintain basic safely protocols (far beyond what we require for our products). Even though a trained monkey could use our very simple products, and we get hundreds of consumer requests to buy our products every year, we simply will not sell to the law suit crazy American consumers. :)

reinholdk
2015-06-12, 06:27
Not being an American, for me it seems that not necessarily the US consumers are law suit crazy but rather the law firms. And this is quite understandable due to the BIG money they can possibly make out of a silly case. So I guess these huge compensations are the root cause of this strange situation.

jfo
2015-06-12, 11:30
The US has the world's costliest legal system and leads the world in lawsuit numbers. They also have by far, the most lawyers in the world and thousands more are added each year, all looking for work.

toby10
2015-06-12, 13:52
Law firms have no law suits absent clients. Whether it is the lawyers pursuing the client or the client searching for a lawyer, no client = no law suit.

Here's a good one that I have personal knowledge of (industrial customer of mine).
Party 1: employee driving company box truck during business hours
Party 2: three 16 year old kids skipping school, high and drunk, driving a car they have no permission to drive, none wearing seat belts

Company truck is stopped at stop light, drunk/high teens crash into back of stopped truck, all four involved require hospital visit, all three kids cited for multiple offenses including reckless driving, failure to stop, underage drinking, DUI, etc....

Two years later, when two of the kids are now 18 (legal adults) they hire a lawyer to sue both the company (owner of the truck) and the manufacturer of the truck (Volvo) for millions. The company fought the suit and won, but at a cost of about $30k. No idea what happened with suit against Volvo, but whether they won/lost/settled it's another (aprox) $30k to fight a completely ridiculous law suit.

ABSURD!