PDA

View Full Version : Soundbar as speakers for a Squeezebox?

cliveb
2015-06-10, 03:41
We're about to have our kitchen redone, and the shelf which currently houses the SB2 and a pair of (cheap) active speakers is going away. What we'll be left with is wall cupboards with very limited space above them (ie. about 10cm).

I'm toying with the idea of using one of those TV soundbars to act as a pair of low-profile speakers that can sit in this limited space. The SB2 of course is low enough to fit up there as well. Sound quality isn't a particularly important consideration - it's only for background listening.

Has anyone tried this - and if so, how did it turn out?

On a related note, do soundbars with built-in subwoofers actually work, or does the built-in subwoofer just compromise overall quality? (We don't have anywhere to put a separate subwoofer).

ModelCitizen
2015-06-10, 04:04
Hi Clive,
I'm sure this won't suit you but mention it just in case. I've recently bought an Azatom iBigboy direct from Azatom for 300. Its almost as tall as a kitchen unit and almost as wide as a unit is deep. However it is only about 100mm deep so it sits very nicely at the side of a unit (I.e at end of a line of units) or against a wall and does not get in the way. At 300 (in the UK) it's probably too expebsive for what you are considering but its an impressive bit of kit. A large bass woofer and considerable weight makes the sound and the bass especially truly impressive and it goes very, very loud. Easily loud enough to service a party, bar or small club. It's also great at low volumes. Two hand holds at the back make it comfortable to move around. It has built in FM radio, bluetooth, aux in (I use these with my Touch) and comes with dock adapters for most phones and tablets.

Its got a great sound and for the price its an absolute bargain.

Its just a shame the company that makes it doesn't do sales and marketing. If they did they'd sell truck loafs of them. It beats the competing Ruark and B&W Zepellin hands down and at a fraction of the price.

http://www.azatom.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77

Azatom also do a Sound Bar and many other products that might suit you. If they are half as good as the Azatom iBigboy 2A ICD BTX you'll be laughing.

cliveb
2015-06-10, 06:43
Hi ModelCitizen,
You're right, this Azatom device is utterly unsuitable for our requirements. I shudder to think what my wife's reaction would be were I to try and install it in her lovely new kitchen. We need something very discreet, hence my idea of sticking a soundbar on top of the run of wall cabinets.

The main thrust of my original posting was to try and get an idea of whether soundbars can be used as simple stereo speakers in an audio-only installation. Or are they designed to somehow mess with the signal to "improve" TV sound?

ModelCitizen
2015-06-10, 07:53
Ha ha. Ive just got away with installing the iBigboy into our new kitchen/diner extension!

Seriously though, have a look at the Azatom Sound Bar. One of the companies main aims is top quality sound and there's no superfluous signal processing on the iBigBoy. The sound is superb (and I'm a Naim fan, that's not to say the sound is anything like Naim gear).

Man in a van
2015-06-10, 08:04
We're about to have our kitchen redone, and the shelf which currently houses the SB2 and a pair of (cheap) active speakers is going away. What we'll be left with is wall cupboards with very limited space above them (ie. about 10cm).

I'm toying with the idea of using one of those TV soundbars to act as a pair of low-profile speakers that can sit in this limited space. The SB2 of course is low enough to fit up there as well. Sound quality isn't a particularly important consideration - it's only for background listening.

Has anyone tried this - and if so, how did it turn out?

On a related note, do soundbars with built-in subwoofers actually work, or does the built-in subwoofer just compromise overall quality? (We don't have anywhere to put a separate subwoofer).

14cm is big enough for a BOOM

I'm guessing, but think the proximity of the ceiling is going to compromise SQ enough to not worry too much about bass.

You could stick some minirig (http://minirigs.co.uk/) speakers to the ceiling, or put them on their side.:D

atb

ronnie.

MeSue
2015-06-10, 09:03
I just switched from a Boom mounted under the cabinets to a Radio on shelf over the sink where the cabinets aren't as low. I like it. You could always do a Radio on the countertop if the soundbar doesn't work out.

cliveb
2015-06-10, 10:51
I just switched from a Boom mounted under the cabinets to a Radio on shelf over the sink where the cabinets aren't as low. I like it. You could always do a Radio on the countertop if the soundbar doesn't work out.
I'm surprised that a lady would think I could get away with placing anything on my wife's precious countertops!
I've already floated the idea of a soundbar on top of the wall cabinets to her and she seems happy with that.

Also, I am not planning on acquiring any more Squeezebox hardware. (I currently have a TP, SB2, SB3 and Duet. Any more players needed will be based on Raspberry PIs).

Apesbrain
2015-06-10, 12:04
I'd think the littlest ZVOX would work great for this. Even has its own DAC if you want to try it out:
http://www.zvoxaudio.com/divinity-cart/item/4002201/zvox-audio-soundbase.220/1.html

Giza2020
2015-06-10, 12:17
Looking at this with interest. As the op is looking to focus on pi hardware I'm interested to see what hdmi input sound bars are recommended as this will surely be the best input?

To the op I'm wondering if the best solution is to buy a hifiberry amp+ and connect this to some nice kef ceiling speakers like these

http://www.ceiling-speakers.co.uk/KEF-Ci160CR-Speaker-571.asp

Have a similar set up in my back room which is great but does require some work to put all the wires in the wall and speakers in the ceiling

Giza2020
2015-06-10, 12:22
What about this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DE5Y4IM?qid=1433964001&sr=8-1&vs=1

MeSue
2015-06-10, 19:20
I'm surprised that a lady would think I could get away with placing anything on my wife's precious countertops!
Hehe! Well, this lady things having music while cooking and cleaning up is VERY important. :D