PDA

View Full Version : Apple Music

ademathews
2015-06-08, 12:27
What do people think of the look of Apple Music?

I like the idea of being able to share a subscription with 6 family members for $14.99 per month...

Next question - who do we need to speak with nicely to get squeezebox integration?!

toby10
2015-06-08, 13:29
You need to ask Apple, not Logitech (SqueezeBox). Lotsa luck. :)

DanSmedra
2015-06-08, 15:27
“a revolutionary music service curated by the leading music experts.” Curation by "leading music experts"...ugh, if I throw up on Jimmy and Timmy will they find some sexual rush/euphoria? The public doesn't need any so-called "music...experts"!

freelsjd
2015-06-08, 18:12
beats bought mog

apple bough beats

logitech bought slimserver

logitech gave up on squeezebox

all of us got screwed because of logitech

mog was great

CommanderROR
2015-06-09, 00:20
If Apple offers an open API, then devs can pick it up. I think that is unlikely.
It would probably be better for devs to support the streaming services that are already here...but that's just MHO...

asplundj
2015-06-09, 00:22
Perhaps the chances that ickstream will have support for Apple music is greater?

DanSmedra
2015-06-09, 10:16
beats bought mog

apple bough beats

logitech bought slimserver

logitech gave up on squeezebox

all of us got screwed because of logitech

mog was great

Yes, MOG (320 kbps) was a cross between TIDAL (sans worthless "curation") and Pandora. Attorneys for Beats (Dre & lovine) screwed David Hyman in the $14 million cash plus stock transaction (diluted in his stock ownership), then flipped (?) it to Apple for $3.2 billion. That's a 2,286% middle-man profit?

Logitech still refuses to be transparent regarding their motive behind abandoning a very viable Squeezebox line or not spinning it off in an asset sale. Why didn't Sean Adams, Dean Blackketter, and Pat Cosson buy the company back?

DanSmedra
2015-06-09, 10:21
...or acquire them. I hope some music streaming company is left standing who will market to the audiophile crowd.

jimmypowder
2015-06-09, 11:48
The big positive I see with Apple starting their own music service is not their service but it will force other services
to differentiate their streaming subscriptions offering more lossless streaming .It wont be just Tidal and Qobuz offering
lossless streaming. I fully expect Spotify to offer an audiophile tier by the end of the year. Prices eventually will drop
from 20 bucks to 15 a month I suspect as well on lossless subs.

Don't be surprised if some subscription planes start offering 24/96 and 24/192 by next year .I think Qobuz may already do some of this
but im in the States where its not offered.

Guut_Boy
2015-06-09, 14:07
As you mention the family subscription sounds very nice to me, Spotify's family subscription is kind of a bad deal in comparison (50% off for each additional family member).

I also like the idea of curated streams and the associated radio station. I am a huge fan of good radio dj's, so I think this could be a nice feature as well.

Guut_Boy
2015-06-09, 14:24
However, so far the service it self does not really seem very revolutionary. What I mainly find interesting is how streaming is going to evolve now that there is (possibly) an other big player on the market besides Spotify.

CommanderROR
2015-06-16, 14:25
Only problem I see for Qobuz and other small companies is thaz currently nobody really makes a profit off streaming. Spotify is the best example...

Jens_dk
2015-07-20, 03:08
Could we hope:

Is ickStream considering Apple Music ?

From Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ickstreammusic/posts/511778878987629)

Jens

pippin
2015-07-20, 04:13
Currently Apple has no public API and has not announced any.
There is no 3rd party hardware that supports Apple Music right now.
Even Sonos, who should have an ongoing relationship because they were supporting beats (which was essentially the same thing as Apple Music) only have a vague "end of the year" announcement.

We are talking to Apple but right now there simply is nothing Apple has come forward with WRT 3rd party access, right now this is exclusively a service to be used on Apple hardware.

I would not expect anything to change before the Android App is out.

TMAC
2015-07-28, 12:45
I am little confused by this issue. Won't the ShairTunes2 plugin I have read about in other threads kind of hack AirPlay to allow Apple's new streaming service to be played on SB devices?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103783

pippin
2015-07-28, 18:46
Yea, but it's not the same thing, isn't it? No shared playlists, no metadata, no smart mixes, no web interface, you need to play on an iThingy, too etc.
It's a hack, not really native support.

It's like having an AirPlay speaker, which is a bit of a different paradigm from how the Squeezebox works.

TMAC
2015-07-28, 19:42
Thanks Pippin. Things much clearer for me now.

jimmypowder
2015-07-30, 03:54
Apple music destroyed my music library . I have a backup so that's good but I don't trust the service .

TMAC
2015-07-30, 04:45
Ouch! More details would be appreciated. Was it an issue between LMS and Apple Music or an entirely Apple Music issue in your device(s)?

pippin
2015-07-30, 06:48
It's a known iTunes 12.2 issue and supposedly fixed in 12.2.1

jimmypowder
2015-07-30, 09:50
Ouch! More details would be appreciated. Was it an issue between LMS and Apple Music or an entirely Apple Music issue in your device(s)?

Apparently it was some type of bug between icloud music library and itunes match.

jimmypowder
2015-07-30, 09:51
It's a known iTunes 12.2 issue and supposedly fixed in 12.2.1

I'm still afraid to let Apple Music scan my computer library.

pippin
2015-07-30, 09:57
Well, with iTunes it's generally a good idea to uncheck that "Let iTunes manage my music library" box.