PDA

View Full Version : SB3 is flickering through menus when remote is used

kenned
2015-06-03, 10:34
My trusty old SB3 has started to behave rather strangely.

Often when I press a key on the IR remote, it acts as if one of the arrow keys is being held down.
It keeps scrolling through whatever menu is open, or it keeps entering the next deeper level on the menu.

This is the first time I have had any problems with it at all.

I tried doing the "program xilinx" thing, by holding down 1 while connecting the power, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions or explanations?

epoch1970
2015-06-03, 12:12
What about the remote itself?
Can you try w/ another one, or look through the viewfinder of a digital camera to check if a key is sticky?

karlek
2015-06-04, 09:53
Often there is another RC with a pressed button that causes such behaviour. The SBs remote opens the SB for receiving the command and the other sends further commands. Now open, the SB reacts.

kenned
2015-06-05, 02:58
Thanks for the input.

I don't have another remote to try with, but I looked at it through my cell phone camera.
When I press a button on the remote, the light is blinking/flickering rapidly. But it stops when I release the button.
Not sure if this is expected behaviour, but I think I'll try and get some new batteries for the remote.

It could be another remote, but I stowed them all in a bookshelf so they should not interfere.

karlek
2015-06-05, 03:19
Look after them others and look for another hidden One. Maybe under a book or cushion or even a cat. I'm pretty sure one of them IS interfering.
At least your SB remote seems to work fine.

epoch1970
2015-06-05, 04:06
Look (...) Maybe under (...) a cat.
:D
Now that I think of it, I think I've had a Boom showing this strange behaviour. I believe it was solved by replacing the battery.
Direct sunlight can affect IR reception AFAIK, and of course IR blaster might send slim/JVC commands.
Besides looking under the cat, I guess your best bet is new batteries.