PDA

View Full Version : Two Receivers, two Wireless Networks?

verve
2015-06-03, 02:29
Hi There,
Moved to a bigger place and had to expand my Wireless Network to two Access points with (for various reasons) two different SSID's. How can I connect one Receiver to SSID1 and the other to SSID2? It looks to me like the controller Wireless setting only affects the controller and if I reconnect the receivers I have both on the same SSID?
Many thanks for your help!
Chris

bluto99
2015-06-03, 09:48
Hi There,
Moved to a bigger place and had to expand my Wireless Network to two Access points with (for various reasons) two different SSID's. How can I connect one Receiver to SSID1 and the other to SSID2? It looks to me like the controller Wireless setting only affects the controller and if I reconnect the receivers I have both on the same SSID?
Many thanks for your help!
Chris

I have the same arrangement using two routers (one connected to the other via a powerline link) and it is no problem for LMS, it sees the players on both....controller apps on my phone and ipad also work when connected to either SSID for players on both.

verve
2015-06-03, 12:54
...but how did you get the receivers to connect to different SSID's?

bluto99
2015-06-03, 14:34

I have a Squeezebox Touch and a Picoreplayer (Raspberry Pi based Squeezebox), both have setup menu options to specify the SSID and wifi password.

utgg
2015-06-04, 00:50

You should be able to do this with Net::UDAP (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?57861-Net-UDAP-SqueezeBox-Receiver-configuration-tool&p=381017&viewfull=1#post381017).

w3wilkes
2015-06-04, 08:28
You should be able to do this by doing a factory reset on both the controller and receiver.

On one of the controller/receiver pairs do the factory reset on both. Start setup on the controller. It should ask which wireless network you'd like to attach to. Then further on it should ask what receiver. The target receiver should be listed by its MAC address. Select it and continue your setup. The controller will set the receiver to use the same SSID/network password that you selected on the controller. Once done you can then factory reset the other controller/receiver pair and go through this same process selecting your other SSID.

If all this fails you can also use Net::UDAP as said before. To use Net::UDAP the target receiver will have to be factory reset to be accessed from Net::UDAP.

Mnyb
2015-06-06, 02:25
You should be able to do this by doing a factory reset on both the controller and receiver.

On one of the controller/receiver pairs do the factory reset on both. Start setup on the controller. It should ask which wireless network you'd like to attach to. Then further on it should ask what receiver. The target receiver should be listed by its MAC address. Select it and continue your setup. The controller will set the receiver to use the same SSID/network password that you selected on the controller. Once done you can then factory reset the other controller/receiver pair and go through this same process selecting your other SSID.

If all this fails you can also use Net::UDAP as said before. To use Net::UDAP the target receiver will have to be factory reset to be accessed from Net::UDAP.

You can ofcourse factory reset the same controller but the other receiver and setup again .

w3wilkes
2015-06-06, 08:29
You can ofcourse factory reset the same controller but the other receiver and setup again .

That would depend on if you wanted one controller on one SSID and the other controller on the other SSID, ie; controller and receiver pairs on one SSID. You would still be able to control either receiver from either controller since control goes from the controller to LMS and then to the receiver.

Mnyb
2015-06-06, 12:31
That would depend on if you wanted one controller on one SSID and the other controller on the other SSID, ie; controller and receiver pairs on one SSID. You would still be able to control either receiver from either controller since control goes from the controller to LMS and then to the receiver.

I've got the impression that OP only owns one controller but have 2 receivers .

But that raises another issue squeezeboxes does not roam well , and they certainly only remembers one wifi connection at the time ? So a controller will be bound to one ssid ?

w3wilkes
2015-06-06, 22:31
I've got the impression that OP only owns one controller but have 2 receivers .

But that raises another issue squeezeboxes does not roam well , and they certainly only remembers one wifi connection at the time ? So a controller will be bound to one ssid ?

You are absolutely correct, I now see that only one controller was mentioned. And again, you're correct about squeeze things not roaming well. This is still doable, but the controller will end up on the last network it was configured to. A smart phone or tablet would be a great control option once the receivers are configured.

jeremy
2015-06-07, 11:31
Set the routers to same SSID and password but different channels (eg 1 and 6)