Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MeSue
    • Jul 2005

10 year anniversary

This month is the ten year anniversary since I bought my first Squeezebox. I didn't realize it last night when I made the deal to sell my first Squeezebox 2, but I just read this old blog post of mine and realized:

What at a ride it has been. Happy to still be enjoying musical bliss! I've replaced my two Booms with Radios now, but I don't think I will ever get rid of my first beta tester Squeezebox Boom. Until last week it was still used daily mounted under the cabinets in the corner of my kitchen.

Thanks to everyone here for continuing to hang in and improve the system. My music enjoyment has never been more blissful!
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    Logitech Media Server 8.1 on Windows 10 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.
  • get.amped
    • Feb 2007

My sentiments exactly! Started with my first SB3 in January 2007 and it's been a constant source of enjoyment nearly every day since.
    Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
    Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Comment

• Ikabob
      • Aug 2009

Count me in, too! My Squeezebox ecosystem has changed my life. The music in our home has never been so abundant. Thanks to my Squeezeboxes and Internet radio I have found so many great stations over the US and the world. The music services have allowed me to experience such a variety of music and the SB ecosystem has enabled me to listen with such high quality fidelity. And the many members of this community have educated and advised me in so many ways. I know there are so many who feel the same as Sue, "get-amped", and I.

(I just really wish very much that the SB line had not been discontinued)
      Last edited by Ikabob; 2015-06-01, 00:44.
      Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
      Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
      Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
      Ipeng remote controller.

Comment

• SlimChances
        • Apr 2005

I have been using various incarnations of SBs (Sb1,2,Classic, Boom,Touch, Radio) for at least 10 years and it has been a great technological innovation; marrying the storage and speed of the computer with the high fidelity of a stereo. I looked at other systems when I started such as Turtle Beach and watched as various manufacturers came and went but I have stuck with the Squeezebox . It's open source software and ingenious adaptibility is a tribute to the work of Sean Adams and Dean Blackketter and people like Michael Herger who have kept things rolling along.
        Logitech Media Server Version: 9.0.0 - 1711180501 @ Sun 24 Mar 2024 02:44:46 AM CET
        Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
        Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
        Platform Architecture: aarch64-linux
        Database Version: SQLite​
        ​
        ​

Comment

• philippe_44
          • May 2008

What I think is sad is there is no system today that is better (and I have a whole set of Sonos). But I think the need to run LMS on a computer (put aside mysqueezebox) was a pain that most consumers did not get or did not want to deal with: crash, need of an always-on PC etc ... (at least this is my experience with many friends I tried to convince to use LMS). The irony is that with raspberry pi and other mini-computers nowadays, LMS could run on a tiny box that everybody could put somewhere and forget about, which would solve the initial problem.
          LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• MeSue
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by philippe_44
            What I think is sad is there is no system today that is better (and I have a whole set of Sonos). But I think the need to run LMS on a computer (put aside mysqueezebox) was a pain that most consumers did not get or did not want to deal with: crash, need of an always-on PC etc ... (at least this is my experience with many friends I tried to convince to use LMS). The irony is that with raspberry pi and other mini-computers nowadays, LMS could run on a tiny box that everybody could put somewhere and forget about, which would solve the initial problem.
            Yes, that's true. Logitech was headed that direction with tinyLMS on the Touch. Maybe the technology wasn't quite ready back them, but it's certainly doable now. But I think another part of the problem is the younger folks are content to just use their personal devices and don't even really care to buy music anymore. Why do they need all this when they can just stream from YouTube on their phone?

Did I just write "younger folks" in a post? Ugh....
            Sue
            "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
            Logitech Media Server 8.1 on Windows 10 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
            Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
            My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Comment

• bwaldron
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by SlimChances
              I have been using various incarnations of SBs (Sb1,2,Classic, Boom,Touch, Radio) for at least 10 years and it has been a great technological innovation; marrying the storage and speed of the computer with the high fidelity of a stereo. I looked at other systems when I started such as Turtle Beach and watched as various manufacturers came and went but I have stuck with the Squeezebox . It's open source software and ingenious adaptibility is a tribute to the work of Sean Adams and Dean Blackketter and people like Michael Herger who have kept things rolling along.
              Indeed. I bought my first Squeezebox in April 2004 to replace a Turtle Beach Audiotron. Haven't looked back since; haven't had to.

Comment

• philippe_44
                • May 2008

Originally posted by MeSue
                Yes, that's true. Logitech was headed that direction with tinyLMS on the Touch. Maybe the technology wasn't quite ready back them, but it's certainly doable now. But I think another part of the problem is the younger folks are content to just use their personal devices and don't even really care to buy music anymore. Why do they need all this when they can just stream from YouTube on their phone?

Did I just write "younger folks" in a post? Ugh....
                Yes, but there is till obviously a market, see Sonos, Bose, Samnsung and other small players ... and the "younger folks" also age a bit with time and like to listen through good speaker systems, often
                LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• mr1clar@gmail.com
                  • Aug 2011

Amazon Echo as a Squeezebox

Originally posted by philippe_44
                  Yes, but there is till obviously a market, see Sonos, Bose, Samnsung and other small players ... and the "younger folks" also age a bit with time and like to listen through good speaker systems, often
                  I've actually been playing with a new Amazon Echo and it's a close replacement for a squeezebox if you are willing to put your music in their cloud. It will play both Tunein and Iheart Radio stations, Amazon Music, etc. The only current difficiency for me is there is no XM yet, but, they are adding new features regularly. It's in beta and they are soliciting input. They've responded positively for suggestions.

I recommend this. it's really got great sound and does much more than any alternatives. I currently have 5 squezeboxes in rooms throughout my apartment. I really like the responsiveness of the echo and well as the voice activation. It's the best interface I've ever used. I also find myself using it for music and radio more the boxes at this point.
                  Matt in Chi-town

Comment

• cliveb
                    • Apr 2005

This thread reminds me that I too bought my first SB2 back in 2005, although it was later in the year - around Sept IFRC.

Originally posted by MeSue
                    Yes, that's true. Logitech was headed that direction with tinyLMS on the Touch.
                    Trying to squeeze (pardon the pun) tinyLMS onto what was essentially a player with very limited resources was a big mistake. The fact that they attempted it is in my opinion further evidence that Logitech really didn't understand the core vision of how a Squeezebox ecosystem was supposed to work.

What they SHOULD have done is develop some kind of LMS appliance - like a Vortexbox, but without the embedded player or the various non-LMS related stuff. (Oh, and make sure it did NOT have wireless, with instructions that it must be connected to the user's network via ethernet. It's one thing to run the players wirelessly, but encouraging it with the server would be asking for support problems). I really don't think the average joe would have difficulty understanding the concept of a box that holds all your music and little satellite boxes scattered around to play it. It seems that only Logitech couldn't figure that out.
                    Until recently: Transporter -> ATC SCM100A, now sold :-(
                    House move forced change to: piCorePlayer(RPi2/HiFiBerry DIGI2 Pro) -> Meridian 218 -> Meridian M6

Comment

• DJanGo
                      • Sep 2005

Since i had also my 10 year anniversary (but just for the Server - all of my org. Hardware is broken since some Months ago) there is something in my mind i want to share..

Slimserver / slimdevices was a head of the time i do really remember my first "real" (Server) Hardware and some of my big next steps.
                      (ok some of them are older/newer than 10 years)
                      • Yeah 128 kb is fine let ripp all the Cds and Vinyls
                      • Yippie i#ve got an 160 (in fact only ~143) MB Harddrive - only for my music thats never gonna be too less
                      • 512 MB on a Intel P4 with 233 m/hz yeah more database speed than the police officers will allow

Now ten years later - every Step forward is like the (always as a quote of Bill Gates - but no one really had THE source for that) 640 kb its enough for everybody.

I did spoke with some friends about things like vortexbox (long before vortexbox was born) and we found out - ok maybe "german laws" only - if you sell own computerhardware for home customers not for buisinees people you must take that thing back if its rubbish.

Times are changing - former geek only stuff gets popular and if you read some of the audio threads
                      the music customers are really special geeks (burn in cables before using them yeah)

I dont blame logitech to take care and dont blame guys like Dan Sully to leave and sell his baby - thats normal.

What i really want to tell / hope more guys to bring the server forward than blame someone.

Comment

• bradcook
                        • Jul 2005

Wow ! Just checked back though my history to find that I ordered my original Squeezebox 2 back on 24th June 2005

Still got the little fella - but sadly not currently used.

Since then expanded with a Boom (now with a flakey power connector) , a couple of Duets, a Transporter and last but not least a couple of Radio's

Comment

• yeomanspc
                          • Apr 2005

My first email recommending SLIMP3 to a colleague was dated Jan 2003! Testament to the quality, every SLIM/Squeeze box I ever bought still works today (the original SLIMP3 is in the garage by the treadmill) - ok I 've had to replace 3 or 4 power supplies, and had one faulty touch replaced under warranty. How many high-tech devices last 12 years?
                          3 of every player ever sold back to SLIMP3 (missed Booms)

Comment

• Pascal Hibon
                            • Oct 2006

I have to wait one more year.
                            Bought my first SB3 in 2006...
                            Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
                            1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
                            1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
                            ReadyNAS NVX for storage
                            piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
                            iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
                            http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

• Wirrunna
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Pascal Hibon
                              I have to wait one more year.
                              Bought my first SB3 in 2006...
                              Same here, they didn't arrive in Australia 'till December 2005, bought mine (a white SB3) in Jan 2006 after reading this post http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/ind...dpost&p=337788.
                              A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
                              Three things I hate in life :
                              1. Vandalism
                              2. Irony
                              3. Lists

Comment

Working...