PDA

View Full Version : Using Squeezebox Boom from overseas?

New Daddy
2015-05-30, 21:03
I've brought my Squeezebox Boom to an Asian country, where I'm now working.

In order to access US-based internet contents that check the IP, I use what's called "DNS Proxy", which will make the other side believe that I'm logging on from the states.

It's a hit-or-miss. Some websites will see me as residing in the US, while others won't.

Unfortunately, the services that I try to connect to with my Squeezebox Boom see right through the DNS proxy and tell me that "this service is not available outside the U.S.".

Is there anything that I can do?

(If this was a service that I wanted to connect from a web browser, I can't heighten a notch and use "VPN", which almost always succeeds in fooling the other side about the whereabouts of me.)

philippe_44
2015-05-30, 21:20
I missed a bit your last comment but using a VPN will solve the problem. Or if you have friends still in the U.S., they can even be your VPN provider. It works, from experience

New Daddy
2015-05-31, 09:32
I missed a bit your last comment but using a VPN will solve the problem. Or if you have friends still in the U.S., they can even be your VPN provider. It works, from experience

But how do I make Squeezebox go through a VPN?

rpress
2015-05-31, 10:10
You'll need some router that can create a VPN connection, and then use that VPN for the SqueezeBox. I'm not sure if you want to use the VPN for all your internet, probably not. I know a MikroTik could be configured to create a special connection for just the Squeezebox, but the configuration is not trivial.

philippe_44
2015-05-31, 10:53
But how do I make Squeezebox go through a VPN?

I used to use routers like Draytek (Taiwan) that are good to build net-to-net tunnel with special routing rules to filter what goes into the tunnel. A totally different option is a trick I use: built a SSH tunnel to a remote LMS server => have a friends's computer in the US with a Bitvise SSH server and LMS. On any of your local computer, install Bitvise client and forward ports 9000 and 3483 to the US side of the tunnel. Point your boom to the local computer, as a "virtual" LMS server.

New Daddy
2015-06-04, 19:32
You'll need some router that can create a VPN connection, and then use that VPN for the SqueezeBox. I'm not sure if you want to use the VPN for all your internet, probably not. I know a MikroTik could be configured to create a special connection for just the Squeezebox, but the configuration is not trivial.

I hadn't realized that there are routers that can channel VPN connection until you mentioned it.

You also said that I probably don't want to use VPN for all my internet, though. Is there a reason against it? I'm looking to buy a router that can run DD-WRT firmware, which can create VPN connection. But that means all my internet will go through VPN.

rpress
2015-06-04, 20:07
I hadn't realized that there are routers that can channel VPN connection until you mentioned it.

You also said that I probably don't want to use VPN for all my internet, though. Is there a reason against it? I'm looking to buy a router that can run DD-WRT firmware, which can create VPN connection. But that means all my internet will go through VPN.

A lot of it will depend on your VPN. It might be slower than your native internet (it will certainly be at least a little slower), you might want correct geolocation sometimes, there might be limited data usage or overage fees, etc.

epoch1970
2015-06-05, 04:35
Yes the VPN will be slower, esp. if you use a weak (CPU- or RAM-wise) router.
But it doesn't really matter. Let the router create a VPN tunnel to friends/family stateside, and put the LMS and players on this network at your place.
Keep the usual router function and LAN for your other devices, for full service speed.

Keep in mind the VPN you are going to setup needs to set the default route through the VPN. All traffic will go up and then down the tunnel. If your friends/family are using an asymmetric link to the internet, with bandwidth mostly dedicated to download, the amount of upload you will request (that is: what the players/LMS will download on your side) may choke their connection. When the upload link is full, download stalls (TCP acks are not sent anymore.)
So it is better to keep a minimal number of devices on this specific network. Hopefully, the time difference will minimize any potential issue.