PDA

View Full Version : Help me learn to like Spotify

MeSue
2015-05-22, 10:00
I'm on 3 months for 99 cents while I decide whether to keep Rhapsody or switch to Spotify, but so far I am not feeling it with Spotify. I just can't get into the LMS user interface for navigating Spotify (using Triode's plugin)... how do I browse by Genre? How do you find new releases (whole albums, not just tracks)? I hate that items I add to my library can only be browsed by whether I added them under artists, album or track. (In Rhapsody, everything you save is in one Library and you can find it going to either albums, or artists, or tracks, or--my favorite--New Music.) I also find the radio stations quite sucky.

I mostly use streaming music for discovery. I like to browse new releases to see if there's anything new from bands I already like. I look through related artists from artists I like to sample stuff, and I look up artists to sample from Last.fm's recommendations. Sometimes I listen to radio channels (Slacker still rules for that but Rhapsody channels are still so much better than what I have found on Spotify). I'm generally not much of a playlist person.

I want to give it a fair chance, so let me hear your suggestions for making the most of Spotify.

MeSue
2015-05-23, 08:12
Silence speaks volumes... :D

Yesterday I was reminded of another thing I always disliked about Spotify. They mix EPs and singles in with full-length albums. Arg! And they don't even show you the number of tracks so you can figure it out before drilling down.

castalla
2015-05-24, 05:09
The Spotify interfaces are awful - each app (LMS, android, Sonos) is different.

And the obsolete Starred category is also a mess - it still shows tracks on LMS which I deleted on the main Spotify site.

I'm on a trial - think it's going to be binned.

Deezer has its faults but not as fruustrating to use as Spotify.

garym
2015-05-24, 05:26
I can't really add anything although I've used spotify since moving from MOG. But I use it in a very specific way: If I hear/read about an artist or an album or song and I don't have it, I use Spotify to find it, and if there can play it and add it to a playlist (not really a playlist in the typical sense, but because the only way I can save things that work across my LMS and my PC and iphone spotify controls is to save within a named playlist rather than saving "album" or "artist").

For me, Spotify is more of a mechanism to get an advance listen before I buy something. So I don't use the radio station function, etc. Although I do use it for listening to lots of Jazz albums that I don't necessarily want to buy (because once I get started down that path with Jazz, it will be a disaster because I'm a completist with artists I like).

Mnyb
2015-05-24, 05:43
I mostly uses spotify with the smartmix plugins donít stop the music function as a way of discover new music that i then later buy .

Dont stop the music continues your playlist with a mix of tracks from you own library and/or tracks from your music services

garym
2015-05-24, 05:49
I mostly uses spotify with the smartmix plugins donít stop the music function as a way of discover new music that i then later buy .

Dont stop the music continues your playlist with a mix of tracks from you own library and/or tracks from your music services

aha. I forgot that I also use smartmix and tick the spotify box to mix spotify with my own tracks. This works nicely.

MeSue
2015-05-24, 07:25
Ah, I haven't tried it with SmartMix yet. I'll have to try that. SmartMix never worked too well for me with Rhapsody. It seemed to think I'd like a lot of music in languages I don't understand. ha! But maybe with Spotify it will be better than Spotify's own radio channels. We shall seeÖ

Is the official Spotify LMS app any better than the Triode one for navigating?

castalla
2015-05-24, 07:40
Is the official Spotify LMS app any better than the Triode one for navigating?

No! The stupid Starred is top of the list - it even contains items I deleted from Starred days ago.

MeSue
2015-05-24, 16:14
Wow! The SmartMix works so much better for me with Spotify than it ever did with Rhapsody. And maybe I can use Playlists to simulate the "New Music" section like Rhapsody. I'll still miss browsing by genres and new releases if I have to give up Rhapsody, which isn't even working right on the Radio and Touch anymore. :mad:

bernt
2015-05-24, 22:46
With iPeng 8 and the native Spotify app on iPhone\iPad you can easily copy and paste Spotify URI into iPeng and play any list on your SB.