PDA

View Full Version : Roon support for squeezeboxen

netchord
2015-05-21, 15:45
per a thread on the roon forums, they're going to look at it, which would be a tremendous development IMO.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/squeezebox-support/1043/14

Apesbrain
2015-05-21, 16:28
Agreed, but at $119 per year* that's $119 more than LMS. Not sure what additional functionality it could offer to justify that.

*Or $499 lifetime; such a deal!

kidstypike
2015-05-22, 00:59
Step backwards from LMS if it only runs on PC/Mac?

rolski
2015-05-22, 06:28
Step backwards........or step forwards, if it connects to a wider range of endpoints and provides a (stable / maintenance-free) user interface that people want ?
Discuss....

netchord
2015-05-23, 13:07
....or step forwards, if it connects to a wider range of endpoints and provides a (stable / maintenance-free) user interface that people want ?
Discuss....

options are always a step forward. there are many things that LMS can do that roon can't, or won't be able to do for some time. that said, LMS is not the most elegant way to browse a music collection, or discover new tunes. Roon excels in this regard, and being able to use both, is a definite boon to the SB community.

volpone
2015-06-22, 10:03
options are always a step forward. there are many things that LMS can do that roon can't, or won't be able to do for some time. that said, LMS is not the most elegant way to browse a music collection, or discover new tunes. Roon excels in this regard, and being able to use both, is a definite boon to the SB community.

+1. I totally agree with netchord.
Roon seems quite powerfull and a really efficient, nonsuch and innovative way to browse your own music and (re)discover new works.

Integration between local library and external music distribution services is a key point when lossless streaming (FLAC) and big libraries including classical music are now available.

Roon is "young" and Roonlabs a smal company but i will follow them with attention. Is Roon an alternative or a complement to SB ecosystem i don't know but i will hope we will get some interopability.

Volpone

Otto-Wilhelm
2015-06-23, 13:02
....or step forwards, if it connects to a wider range of endpoints ...
Discuss....

Streaming only to Meridian and Airplay devices??

volpone
2015-06-23, 14:25
Streaming only to Meridian and Airplay devices??

Not only. also:

Auralic
DcS
PSAudio
Linn
Raspberry Pi 2
IOS devices without Airplay limits

and more to come via their proprietary RoonSpeakers protocol: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-speakers-what-when-how-and-for-whom/290/9
But seems still in dev and probably needs some time to be real.

jezbo
2015-08-02, 01:11
Also keeping an eye on this. But $119 per year is pretty steep for software, I don't see me ditching LMS for that even if they can support the squeezebox line. Still happy with LMS/Muso as a server/browser combination.

Mnyb
2015-08-02, 01:56
A bit steep , but people pay much more for TV which I for example use less .

If you don't sell any physical devices , the remaining sources of $ are the radio stations and services themselfs or the end user .

mysb.com that we all use was included in our hardware purchases , but we paid much less for mysb.com over the years .

People don't want to pay for this kind of thing ?
Including it in hardware purchases demands that you continue to sell new hardware in a probably increasing rate ?

I don't know what's a sustainable business model ?

Life time membership their or mine :)

poing
2015-08-02, 05:58
To me, Roon offers nothing special. Completely overpriced crap. Perhaps the company counts on purchases from placebophiles which erroneously believe that product price and product quality are perfectly correlated.

volpone
2015-08-03, 15:16
To me, Roon offers nothing special. Completely overpriced crap. Perhaps the company counts on purchases from placebophiles which erroneously believe that product price and product quality are perfectly correlated.

OK poing, i understand your point but did you tested Roon ?

I didn't myself, but my audio equipments price is near 10 000 euros and i'm not shocked at all spending 500 euros for an application if very a good one.
IMHO good User Experience is very dependent on software and even if i love the LMS ecosystem i'm not sure LMS UX/UI and way to browse the music is ideal.

So for me Roon is quite interesting to evaluate.

Volpone

vanye
2015-08-07, 03:22
Yes, Roon will be interesting to at least testdrive, once they have an iPad app, provide an image to use Rasperrys as endpoints - and ideally a dedicated Linux image for the server application. Until then, though, I'll take a "wait and see" stance.

After all, it's not like us LMS users are starved for great UX.

volpone
2015-08-07, 04:38
Yes, Roon will be interesting to at least testdrive, once they have an iPad app, provide an image to use Rasperrys as endpoints - and ideally a dedicated Linux image for the server application. Until then, though, I'll take a "wait and see" stance.

After all, it's not like us LMS users are starved for great UX.

I agree.
I'm too waiting for "headless" RoonServer, Ipad app, and Rasperrys (or similar endpoints) image, to begin with a Roon testdrive.
According to https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-labs-whats-new-for-august/2931, some if not all of these points are coming soon.

mdconnelly
2015-09-14, 10:52
Any more news on the Roon to Squeezebox front? I'm a long-time Squeezebox user and haven't found anything yet worthy of replacing it. But I must admit that Roon sounds like an amazingly well-designed front-end for music. While the pricetag is a formidable obstacle, I would absolutely give Roon a shot if I could use it with all my SB devices and whatever else RoonLabs will be supporting going forward.