PDA

View Full Version : LMS won't scan my new Samsung Hard Drive

mandryka
2015-05-11, 03:23
Hi

The server reports early termination of scanning with my new Samsung 3TB D3 Station External Desktop Hard Drive, but scans my old Samsung Story Station 2.0TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive with no problems. The data in the new one was made by copy and paste from the old.

1.35 TB, mostly FLAC. Running Windows 7, LMS v. 7.7.3

Any suggestions?

reinholdk
2015-05-11, 03:29
Check LMS log files server.log and scanner.log. Locations can be found on LMS WebUI, at the bottom of Settings->Information page.

kidstypike
2015-05-11, 03:45
Hi

The server reports early termination of scanning with my new Samsung 3TB D3 Station External Desktop Hard Drive, but scans my old Samsung Story Station 2.0TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive with no problems. The data in the new one was made by copy and paste from the old.

Any suggestions?

Has the new HD been assigned a different drive letter to the old one?

May be as well re-entering the path to your music folder on the new HD.

DJanGo
2015-05-11, 10:12
The data in the new one was made by copy and paste from the old.

look at the folder right management.
Best way to copy a file folderstrukture under *blows is always robocopy - it gots parameter to handle everything even rightmanagement, that copy & paste doesnt copy them.

mandryka
2015-05-11, 11:46
Check LMS log files server.log and scanner.log. Locations can be found on LMS WebUI, at the bottom of Settings->Information page.

What should I look for in the logs? I forgot to mention that when scanning the new disc, LMS scans for about 10 minutes and then terminates, always after the same elapsed time -- I can't work out how to find out what's causing it to terminate.

mandryka
2015-05-11, 11:50
Best way to copy a file folderstrukture under *blows is always robocopy - it gots parameter to handle everything even rightmanagement, that copy & paste doesnt copy them.

Thank you. How can I tell if this was indeed the problem? I could recopy the lot using robocopy -- it takes about 3 days with copy and paste. Will robocopy just skip all the ones where it doesn't need to make changes, speeding the process up?

DJanGo
2015-05-11, 13:37
Thank you. How can I tell if this was indeed the problem? I could recopy the lot using robocopy -- it takes about 3 days with copy and paste. Will robocopy just skip all the ones where it doesn't need to make changes, speeding the process up?

now its too late... (or leave it 3 days alone)

take the old drive
open a shell
write icacls with a blank
drop any working/playing file into the shell
hit return
copy the output
do the same with ne new drive and "some" file
verify the two outputs
if there is any difference you know that the file permissions must be set (like the one from the working disk)
icalcs is the tool for you
(if you dont want to start all over again with robocopy source destination /sec /mir

Man in a van
2015-05-11, 14:28
Hi

Any suggestions?

does this have any bearing on your problem?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/i-have-a-3-tb-drive-windows-7-ultimate-wont-format/b1cc3811-f25f-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Lots more from where that came from

reinholdk
2015-05-12, 03:29
What should I look for in the logs? I forgot to mention that when scanning the new disc, LMS scans for about 10 minutes and then terminates, always after the same elapsed time -- I can't work out how to find out what's causing it to terminate.

Maybe there's an error message. If you're in doubt, either zip the files completely and attach them to a new post here or just copy and paste the relevant lines.

mandryka
2015-05-24, 02:25

I think you were probably right with this. What actually happened was that I backed up my LMS to the new hard drive using Karen's Replicator, and I noticed that it was copying some files which I hadn't changed. These were presumably files which my CTRL C/P copy and paste had miscopied.

Anyway after that I found the thing scans with no problem!!

Thanks.