PDA

View Full Version : Which files types can the different players handle natively?

scala
2015-05-10, 11:39
I am starting to build a small library of hi-res files and noticed an unusual behaviour when playing them on my SB3 and Radios.
I use a QNAP TS-212P as server (LMS 7.8.0) and never had any issues with my large library of standard 44.1kHz/16bit files, mostly CD rips in uncompressed alac and flac, and with compressed aac and mp3 files (iTunes and other sources) also 44/16.
However when playing 44/24 and 96/24 files, both alac and flac, I notice frequent rebuffering and most important I see the processor of my NAS running at 100%, mostly with sox draining all the resources. The latter makes me think this is not a matter of network saturation, but more likely a transcoding problem in the NAS which might not be powerful enough.
I noticed a few exceptions and I still have to complete a detailed matrix of what files work properly, on what device. In parallel, I am trying to find an exhaustive list of file types, samples rates and bit depths which are read natively by the different slim/logi devices, or which might need transcoding.
Unfortunately I could not readily find such a list after some web searches, can anybody help me?

Mnyb
2015-05-10, 11:50
This is not entirely complete .

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

There are product links at the top .

But in your case SB3 and radio supports up to 24bit 48kHz natevily so SoX will be running on 24/96 files .

it should not be running with 24/44.1 files ? is this a flac or wav file ?

For simplicity all squeezeboxes beynd slimp3/SB1 supports 24/48 Touch and Transporter does 24/96 (Touch can do 24/192 with a third party add on called EDO ,but it disables analog out etc)

pippin
2015-05-10, 11:54
Sox means resampling. That should not happen for 44.1/48 kHz material, all players support that (except slimp3) also with 24 bit.
Only touch, transporter and most software players support 96 kHz, all others need resampling which is CPU heavy

pippin
2015-05-10, 11:58
Oh, and depending on your server setup ALAC might always be transcoded to FLAC. ALAC is natively supported by Touch (and some software players, like iPeng) only but the default server setup even transcoded for these players until 7.7.3 or so. ALAC to FLAC transcoding should not require a lot of CPU, though, resampling is much more CPU intensive.

Mnyb
2015-05-10, 12:12
Oh, and depending on your server setup ALAC might always be transcoded to FLAC. ALAC is natively supported by Touch (and some software players, like iPeng) only but the default server setup even transcoded for these players until 7.7.3 or so. ALAC to FLAC transcoding should not require a lot of CPU, though, resampling is much more CPU intensive.

I think the default for alac or aiff still are server transcoding because of hirez alac and aiff are not working on Touch ?

I runned some test a while ago , but i'm not at home so cant double check that rigth now .

The default for wav files is to transcode to flac to preserve bandwith , but if your players are wired its probably safe to use wav files natevily (se file types settings in lms ) .

pippin
2015-05-10, 12:13
You are right, the default is still off but at least it's now configurable in settings. In the past native ALAC was commented out in the convert.conf.

scala
2015-05-10, 13:04
Thank you for all the info, just repeated some testing with alac and flac and up to 48kHz/32 bit there is no problem... I must have confused some files, earlier. Max cpu was 16% for alac 48/32 on SB3 (faad and sox), while just a few % for Radio with the same file.
Problems then happen only with 96/24 files, both alac and flac, where indeed cpu shoots to 100% in some cases.

Mnyb
2015-05-10, 14:31
Ok , two was fixing this .

Get a more powerfull server .

Make yourself 24/48 copies of the 24/96 files ( flac is a good idea ), very easy to do with dBpower amp or foobar and dozens of other apps .

scala
2015-05-11, 13:41
Get a more powerfull server .

Make yourself 24/48 copies of the 24/96 files ( flac is a good idea ), very easy to do with dBpower amp or foobar and dozens of other apps .

In fact, getting a better NAS would be nice, but QNAP has withdrawn support for LMS (because of the bash security issues). I could do a manual install, go Synology or other vendors but your second suggestion is the most appropriate for me for the time being. My system is very stable as is and I like it for other reasons, too, outside LMS: so, while I'm writing, dBpoweramp is busy downsampling everything to 48kHz...

Too bad for Hi-res!

On a side note, since I'll likely put my hands on a Touch sometime soon: is there a simple way of keeping two versions of the same file, feeding the hi-res version to the Touch and the lower-res to the others?