PDA

View Full Version : No audio on Rhapsody on Squeezebox Classic

bocaboy
2015-05-10, 09:33
I've got the damnest problem that I can't figure out. I own a Squeezebox Classic as well as a Squeezebox Radio. When I try to play a selection from Rhapsody through the Classic using the Logitech Media Server (LMS), I get no audio. The display shows the audio streaming, and if I go to the Squeezebox Radio, the audio streams as expected. I can see and access my library and do normal searches, but NO AUDIO via the Classic.

Pandora, AccuRadio, etc. are all behaving normally and I can hear and adjust the audio perfectly with LMS. I've been using a Squeezebox Classic for at least 10 years and never had this problem.

I just downloaded and installed LMS 7.8.1 for the Mac, but it didn't make any difference. I visited the Squeezebox home and my logon for Rhapsody is correct. In addition, I can verify my credentials by using the iOS app on my phone and I hear and see everything normally. And to repeat, I can hear the audio perfectly on the Squeezebox Radio and all other Apps I have installed in LMS.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be happening??

toby10
2015-05-10, 10:37
You are SOL.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103529-Rhapsody-no-audio-with-Logitech-SB3

bocaboy
2015-05-10, 12:00
Thanks for the reply. If that's true, and apparently it is, I'm done with Rhapsody. Too bad since I've been a subscriber since they were owned by Real.

Spotify, here I come.

bocaboy
2015-05-11, 05:31
Here's the response to my e-mail to Rhapsody support regarding why there is no longer any audio when I try and stream via my Classic. Note that these same compliance issues don't seem to stop Pandora, Spotify or other streaming services from using the Classic for streaming. Pathetic. I've been a subscriber to Rhapsody since 2004 and using my Classic for 10 of those years to stream music. I guess it's time to move on.

Hi-

I'm sorry you are unable to listen music on Logitech Squeezebox Classic. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Rhapsody has made a change last week to disable some SSL cyphers as required for PCI compliance. With this change, some devices are no longer function with Rhapsody service. Logitech looked through the source code and found that for these devices, there is no AES implementation, so these device will no longer function with Rhapsody app.
The affected device models are :
- Squeezebox Duet
- Squeezebox 2
- Squeezebox 3
- Squeezebox Classic
- Squeezebox Boom
- Transporter

-Cathy

toby10
2015-05-11, 11:36
Yes, same email form letter they are sending to all afflicted users. Been posted numerous times in here.
Rhapsody uses much more strict (and many would say unnecessary) protection/encryption methods for their streams than most any other subscription based provider out there.

bocaboy
2015-05-11, 12:08
Toby10,

I also own a Squeezebox Radio which, somewhat surprisingly, still works with Rhapsody. I'm also coming across posts saying that Spotify has introduced the same problem to most Squeeze devices.

Today, I removed the Classic from my sound system and installed the radio instead. Rhapsody is now working, although I wonder how much longer it will be supported on this device. For now, all is good.

Toby, thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

BTW, I'm putting the Classic for sale up on Ebay since, if I can't listen to Rhapsody with it, there's no value to owning it.

Have you checked this device out yet from Olive? http://myoliveone.com/homes/home

garym
2015-05-11, 12:22
Toby10,

I also own a Squeezebox Radio which, somewhat surprisingly, still works with Rhapsody. I'm also coming across posts saying that Spotify has introduced the same problem to most Squeeze devices.

Today, I removed the Classic from my sound system and installed the radio instead. Rhapsody is now working, although I wonder how much longer it will be supported on this device. For now, all is good.

Toby, thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

BTW, I'm putting the Classic for sale up on Ebay since, if I can't listen to Rhapsody with it, there's no value to owning it.

Have you checked this device out yet from Olive? http://myoliveone.com/homes/home

Rhapsody works fine with TOUCH or RADIO. It's only the older players it doesn't work on. Likewise, Spotify (using the official Logitech Spotify APP) only works on RADIO and TOUCH. However, in the case of SPOTIFY, one can install the "3rd party Spotify Plugin" in LMS and still use the older players (I do this myself for Spotify use on my Booms and Transporter).

toby10
2015-05-11, 12:27
Touch & Radio players are newer and completely different hardware architectures which can handle Rhapsody's new AES encryption method. Older players like your SB3 (which was designed a decade ago) is not capable of their new AES encryption. Heard of Olive but never used one.