PDA

View Full Version : LMS windows 8 on Intel nuc + synology nas

Devialetar
2015-05-03, 22:44
Hi I have an Intel celeron nuc with windows 8 that runs some rowing software, so I decided to utilise it a bit better and install LMS.

It runs much faster than lms on the nas but with one issue....and it's a pita.

I have an nfs share on my nas under /volume1/music but when I try and map it with windows it doesn't give it a drive letter so LMS cannot add it to the location of shared music.

I tried using netdrive...this gives it a drive letter that lms can see but when I play a hires flac it buffers badly, the nas lms does not have this issue.

Anyone have this issue? Or can help?

poing
2015-05-04, 00:15
GIYF. I found this:
https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_connect_drive.mspx

EDIT -- And that:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-shortcut-to-map-network-drive

Devialetar
2015-05-04, 01:51
GIYF. I found this:
https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_connect_drive.mspx

EDIT -- And that:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-shortcut-to-map-network-drive

Thanks Poing, let me clarify....

I can map to that location from windows but when I open LMS control app and try to add the newly mapped drive it can only see my computer c: drive none of the mapped drives.

If I use the program netdrive it does see it but as I've stated it buffers badly on the touch. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar setup and found a solution as I've been unable to find one on the net.

Edit: I stated in my first post that it doesn't give it a drive letter, I was wrong it does.

Man in a van
2015-05-04, 06:13
reboot router and anything else you fancy?

robanglin
2015-05-04, 07:19
How about attaching/creating a drive via iSCSI?

PaulinPosset
2015-05-04, 12:55
Hi I have an Intel celeron nuc with windows 8 that runs some rowing software, so I decided to utilise it a bit better and install LMS.

It runs much faster than lms on the nas but with one issue....and it's a pita.

I have an nfs share on my nas under /volume1/music but when I try and map it with windows it doesn't give it a drive letter so LMS cannot add it to the location of shared music.

I tried using netdrive...this gives it a drive letter that lms can see but when I play a hires flac it buffers badly, the nas lms does not have this issue.

Anyone have this issue? Or can help?

I had exactly the same issue this weekend as I was building my NUC for LMS and Squeeze 2uPnP use. Hopefully this may be of use. The intention was to use an external USB drive attached to the router in order to keep the spinning (and noisy) components as far away from SWMBO as possible!

You have to use the LMS control panel, library tab, rather than the web browser control because that doesn't allow you to add drives. Note that LMS has to be running in order to make the changes. You can then see the new library location with the web control browser. With this configuration it took over half an hour to scan the library and I only have about 5500 tracks. In use, music searches were very laggy so I've ended up connecting the drive directly to the NUC.

yeomanspc
2015-05-04, 15:43
..so I've ended up connecting the drive directly to the NUC.

If noise (of the drive) is an issue, a bigger msata to hold all your music? It's not cheap, but it's silent, and with not much writing, should be ok. I have one hooked up to an Odroid as a 'travelling' / spare server.

Devialetar
2015-05-04, 17:49
All of my music is on the NAS in the music folder (I won't change this), I use the control app to add the mapped network drives.

LMS control app refuses to see anything but the c:\ drive even though file explorer shows the fine.

When using netdrive2 program I can map to that location and LMS control app CAN add the drive, I can play music but the most of the flacs buffer badly on the touch.

Win8 is awful! But my other software requires that or osx.

PaulinPosset
2015-05-05, 01:47
All of my music is on the NAS in the music folder (I won't change this), I use the control app to add the mapped network drives.

LMS control app refuses to see anything but the c:\ drive even though file explorer shows the fine.

When using netdrive2 program I can map to that location and LMS control app CAN add the drive, I can play music but the most of the flacs buffer badly on the touch.

Win8 is awful! But my other software requires that or osx.

My sympathies with you regarding Win 8, it truly is awful which is why I'm sticking with Win 7 for as long as possible!

If it's any further help what I did is as follows.

Made sure I could access the music folder on the network drive via Windows Explorer and also open files (just to check were no permission issues). Navigate to the music folder, then right click and highlight properties. Under the 'General' tab you can see the location, copy that location and paste the address into the 'media folders' section under the library tab of the LMS control app. LMS has to be running and you have to run the control panel as administrator. In my case the address was: \\RT-N66U\music. Having added the location, and deleted the C drive address, after a refresh it showed up in the web control browser.

Finally run a 'clear library and rescan everything'

Hope that helps!

PaulinPosset
2015-05-05, 03:12
If noise (of the drive) is an issue, a bigger msata to hold all your music? It's not cheap, but it's silent, and with not much writing, should be ok. I have one hooked up to an Odroid as a 'travelling' / spare server.

Thanks for the tip but so far the new set-up has been given domestic approval. :D

Devialetar
2015-05-05, 06:28
My sympathies with you regarding Win 8, it truly is awful which is why I'm sticking with Win 7 for as long as possible!

If it's any further help what I did is as follows.

Made sure I could access the music folder on the network drive via Windows Explorer and also open files (just to check were no permission issues). Navigate to the music folder, then right click and highlight properties. Under the 'General' tab you can see the location, copy that location and paste the address into the 'media folders' section under the library tab of the LMS control app. LMS has to be running and you have to run the control panel as administrator. In my case the address was: \\RT-N66U\music. Having added the location, and deleted the C drive address, after a refresh it showed up in the web control browser.

Finally run a 'clear library and rescan everything'

Hope that helps!

Wow it's actually scanning, I salute you good sir! Will see how the scan finishes and hopefully the flacs will play without buffering.
Thanks for that....why it doesn't show up on a browse is weird.