PDA

View Full Version : Latest Plex updates Music features

ctbarker32
2015-04-30, 09:34
I'm a big fan and user of Plex which I use to manage all my Videos that I play to various computers and Roku devices around the house.

While I am a long time Squeezebox user and love its flexibility and community resources, I also feel it is dropping further and further behind in the web interface due to it being in maintenance mode only. If Logitech was still active in developing the product one could hope that new HTML5 web interfaces would eventually be developed?

Is there any hope that the Squeezebox web interface will ever be modernized?

Maybe there would be more hope for a squeezelite plugin being developed for Plex?

Plex Music Goes to Eleven! (https://blog.plex.tv/2015/04/30/plex-music-goes-eleven/)

And a good video summary of th new features:

Plex Music Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuQs7qwJ0c#t=115)

-CB

poing
2015-04-30, 22:03
The funnny thing is they show an app in the video. There exist a number of high-quality apps for controlling LMS.

Otto-Wilhelm
2015-05-13, 12:05
I'm a big fan and user of Plex which I use to manage all my Videos that I play to various computers and Roku devices around the house.

While I am a long time Squeezebox user and love its flexibility and community resources, I also feel it is dropping further and further behind in the web interface due to it being in maintenance mode only. If Logitech was still active in developing the product one could hope that new HTML5 web interfaces would eventually be developed?

Is there any hope that the Squeezebox web interface will ever be modernized?

Maybe there would be more hope for a squeezelite plugin being developed for Plex?

Plex Music Goes to Eleven! (https://blog.plex.tv/2015/04/30/plex-music-goes-eleven/)

And a good video summary of th new features:

Plex Music Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuQs7qwJ0c#t=115)

-CB

Plex is indeed fine for videos. However, at least for a large music collection it is a pain. Scanning the music file collection is very slow. A music search on basis of genre, composer and other categories as provided by LMS and can be refined using certain plug ins is not possible.

The artist pages with information and content from external providers is fine, but requires the subscription for the Plex pass. In LMS you can have similar or even more detailed information by means of the Biography plug in and the Album Review plug in. However, a more elegant user experience which could be achieved the integration of the plug in information in the artist pages and album pages selectable via the artist and album menus of the man menue would be a substantial improvement of the web user interface of LMS.

bernt
2016-11-26, 08:59
A plugin that make Squeezebox show up as a player in Plex would be fun.

Using Shairplay and Plex app on iPhone I can get the same function but the music gets transcoded and Replay Gain and Gapless playback is lost.

Maybe a project for someone with the same need and the programming skills to make it happen. 😉

Regards
Bernt

pippin
2016-11-26, 10:24
Wouldn't that work by enabling the UPnP plugin (not the UPnPbridge one that allows you to control UPnP-players through LMS but Andy's that exports Squeezeboxes as UPnP players)

bernt
2016-11-27, 06:51
Wouldn't that work by enabling the UPnP plugin (not the UPnPbridge one that allows you to control UPnP-players through LMS but Andy's that exports Squeezeboxes as UPnP players)

As I understand it the SB see PMS but they don't show up as players in PMS and can not be controled by PMS.

By the way, do you mean DNLA?

Nibb31
2016-11-30, 15:53
The mechanisms behind LMS are fine, but I agree that the web interface is in dire need of some revamping. It is getting embarrassingly outdated.

I'm sure a good web designer could come up with a more modern experience.

Mnyb
2016-11-30, 22:35
The mechanisms behind LMS are fine, but I agree that the web interface is in dire need of some revamping. It is getting embarrassingly outdated.

I use iPeng for controll via my iPad it gives modern experience . I view the web-UI more like an admin interface then it can look whatever ?

But even as a ui its ok for me it gets the jobb done i can select and play the stuff i want ?

You can improve UI but just a more modern look would not help much . You got to focus on the user interaction what should the user do etc .

A modern flat design with no visible controls a lot of whitespace and 3pt ligth grey text would not help . Then I actually prefer some 90's clutter with big colorfull very obvius buttons :) design for the sake of design is not good.

bernt
2016-11-30, 23:46

Yes, LMS is the best music server software but it's a kind of boring to use. I use iPeng and Soundicity to control the players but still. Take a look at Plex music library with LastFM.

I like the shuffle button on the artist page. In LMS when I shuffle an artist I tend to forget to turn shuffle of and it's a bit annoying next time I play a album.

Oh, and this one is nice to. Popular tracks.

w3wilkes
2016-12-01, 00:22
I'm just fine with the web interface the way it is. I find it easy to use and will work on just about any device with a browser. What's behind the webUI face that is most important! I also like the Duet controller.

Julf
2016-12-01, 00:44
Yes, LMS is the best music server software but it's a kind of boring to use.

"Kind of boring" is high praise for software. I prefer the content to be exciting, not the software. :)

bernt
2016-12-01, 01:17
"Kind of boring" is high praise for software. I prefer the content to be exciting, not the software. :)

Well, I think it's more "fun" to click around in Plex than in LMS.

bernt
2016-12-01, 02:07
The filter function is very nice to. Very easy to create dynamic playlists.

Mnyb
2016-12-01, 03:48

Thys cool 😎 but that is more about missing functionality, not the look.
We had our diffrent smarlist attempts in lms over the years , but none this smooth in the UI

bernt
2016-12-01, 04:09
Thys cool 😎 but that is more about missing functionality, not the look.
We had our diffrent smarlist attempts in lms over the years , but none this smooth in the UI

Just trying to seduce someone with the skills to make a plugin that makes LMS a bridge between PMS and Squeezeboxes. Not adding new stuff to LMS.

Like the Airtunes plugin.

Apesbrain
2016-12-01, 06:25
I love Plex as well. It is to me for video what LMS is for music. I wish they'd work on improving the audio aspect of video playback, however. How hard would it be to implement some sort of "pre-amp" function using ReplayGain? It gets tiresome having to turn my volume level up to double or more of where it's normally set for TV listening. Inevitably, I forget to turn it back down or stop the video playback for a bathroom break only to be blasted out of my seat by the TV coming through!

Roland0
2016-12-01, 09:34

Judging from the screen, extGUI4LMS has a very similar filter function.
extGUI4LMS is, however, definitely not designed to be fun...

bernt
2016-12-01, 10:09
judging from the screen, extgui4lms has a very similar filter function.
Extgui4lms is, however, definitely not designed to be fun...

:d

ctbarker32
2016-12-01, 10:57
I would like to agree with the OP. The LMS web interface is usable but hopelessly outdated. I use Plex and LMS. I have been using LMS for more than 10 years and have three servers running both for safety and redundancy.

I recently tried to get a fellow audiophile to use LMS and Picoreplayer and he was very turned off by the outdated LMS interface and perceived complexity in setting up LMS. I mentioned Ipeng, etc. but he was already fed up. He much prefers the MPD based players using RPi and really likes RUNE Audio (not Roon) which is by default able to connect directly to his SMB (Samba) based NAS share. So with RUNE Audio he downloads the image and burns to a microSD and plugs it into his RPi and he points it towards his SMB NAS share and he is done. LMS can't compete with this scenario! He says it can scan 1 tb of music in 5 minutes which if true is much faster than LMS. It take LMS close to an hour to scan my 2.5 tb music collection.

I am very active using Picoreplayer project as well as my existing Touch and SB3 players but I am very concerned for the fate of LMS if no way can be found to bring it's technology and interface up to modern standards?

-CB

freelsjd
2016-12-03, 19:53
I tried using plex for everything (movies, home-movies, photos, music). I have been a LMS user for many years and still have my squeezebox. Eventually, I dropped the music server from plex, and went back to LMS for the music server. The plex server is much to slow. It cannot handle a large music library nearly as well as LMS. Plex has a nice interface, and works well for the non-music applications, but it could be faster and more efficient; even for LANs at home.

Grumpy Bob
2016-12-03, 22:50
I would like to agree with the OP. The LMS web interface is usable but hopelessly outdated. I use Plex and LMS. I have been using LMS for more than 10 years and have three servers running both for safety and redundancy.

I recently tried to get a fellow audiophile to use LMS and Picoreplayer and he was very turned off by the outdated LMS interface and perceived complexity in setting up LMS. I mentioned Ipeng, etc. but he was already fed up. He much prefers the MPD based players using RPi and really likes RUNE Audio (not Roon) which is by default able to connect directly to his SMB (Samba) based NAS share. So with RUNE Audio he downloads the image and burns to a microSD and plugs it into his RPi and he points it towards his SMB NAS share and he is done. LMS can't compete with this scenario! He says it can scan 1 tb of music in 5 minutes which if true is much faster than LMS. It take LMS close to an hour to scan my 2.5 tb music collection.

I am very active using Picoreplayer project as well as my existing Touch and SB3 players but I am very concerned for the fate of LMS if no way can be found to bring it's technology and interface up to modern standards?

-CB

I tried Rune (also Volumio), but found the versatility of LMS far superior for my needs (though I liked the web interface). I didn't find Rune easy to connect to Spotify, nor did I find connecting to local hard drives or my NAS particularly straightforward. I don't spend a lot of time setting up LMS, since I do it so infrequently, and scans take about 6 minutes for over 25,000 tracks (longer if I clear the database and rescan everything, but I don't do that often).

I really should give a more recent version of Rune a whirl.

Robert

SamS
2017-06-18, 20:18

Can you expand upon this? What would be required to have Squeezeboxes show up as Plex players?

pippin
2017-06-19, 00:34
I don't fully remember and I don't know whether that's still part of LMS but there was a plugin to expose Squeezeboxes as UPnP players. Have a look at all the UPnP plugins LMS shows, this should be in the description

SamS
2017-10-09, 15:37
I don't fully remember and I don't know whether that's still part of LMS but there was a plugin to expose Squeezeboxes as UPnP players. Have a look at all the UPnP plugins LMS shows, this should be in the description

Anyone else tried this?

As much as I love LMS, it's just getting a bit old/inflexible for me. I'd prefer to move to a Plex-based system for music, but I have two Transporters, Touches, etc. that I don't really want to scrap. And I'm not aware of any client that Plex supports that is even remotely close to the sound quality of a Transporter.

Julf
2017-10-10, 01:57
As much as I love LMS, it's just getting a bit old/inflexible for me.

What flexibility do you lack?

SamS
2017-10-10, 03:18
What flexibility do you lack?

Lack of streaming outside the home
Lack of support for voice control
Lack of a common platform/hardware that supports local music library + Apple Music (i.e. AppleTV 4/4K with the Plex app)

slartibartfast
2017-10-10, 05:48
Lack of streaming outside the home
Lack of support for voice control
Lack of a common platform/hardware that supports local music library + Apple Music (i.e. AppleTV 4/4K with the Plex app)The first two are possible in LMS.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Connecting_remotely
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106569-ANNOUNCE-Alexa-voice-control-(development-thread)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SamS
2017-10-10, 06:02
The first two are possible in LMS.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Connecting_remotely

Too risky, without setting up a dedicated Apache server/VPN/similar. And just too fiddly! Plex "just works".

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106569-ANNOUNCE-Alexa-voice-control-(development-thread)

This is way to alpha/beta for me to rely on at the present time. Most of the voice control features would be used by my wife/kids, so stability for this functionality is the highest priority.

slartibartfast
2017-10-10, 06:10
Too risky, without setting up a dedicated Apache server/VPN/similar. And just too fiddly! Plex "just works".

This is way to alpha/beta for me to rely on at the present time. Most of the voice control features would be used by my wife/kids, so stability for this functionality is the highest priority.The Alexa app is probably better than Sonos have at the moment and is working well for me.

I agree about the security risk without a VPN. I just use Spotify when travelling.

castalla
2017-10-10, 06:12

This is way to alpha/beta for me to rely on at the present time. Most of the voice control features would be used by my wife/kids, so stability for this functionality is the highest priority.

Given the severe limitations that voice control solutions impose at the moment, your best bet is to invest 90 usd on a new amazon echo for your wife and kids.

SamS
2017-10-10, 06:34
The Alexa app is probably better than Sonos have at the moment and is working well for me.

I agree about the security risk without a VPN. I just use Spotify when travelling.

Yes, I realize voice control is still (overall) in infancy, and I very much respect the fellow that is working on Alexa integration with LMS. LMS is still pretty stable for me, but when my existing hardware starts dying (I'm thinking more of Radios, vs. Classics), it's tough for me to replace.

I consider two levels of users at my house:
1) Audio quality as #1 priority (I'm this user) - so Transporter and app control is critical. Apple Music integration would be a "very nice to have".
2) Family users - Apple Music/Amazon Music/voice control is high priority, Bluetooth and/or AirPlay streaming (yes, I realize LMS has a plugin, but it never worked well for me), as well as "standalone" hardware that doesn't require an app to use, i.e. a Squeezebox Radio.

^^^ Over the past few years, it is obvious to me that LMS can really only offer beta-type support for user group #2 above, and the hardware options are limited. Plex seems more robust, and in active development. If I could switch over to Plex full-time for user #1, I could satisfy group #2 by getting Echo devices or try the Apple HomePod.

SamS
2017-10-10, 06:37
Given the severe limitations that voice control solutions impose at the moment, your best bet is to invest 90 usd on a new amazon echo for your wife and kids.

I already have 6 (!) Echo Dots :) I don't mind the Amazon ecosystem, but my wife and I already pay for Apple Music, so I'd rather have better support for that.

marshalleq
2017-12-09, 15:10
Plex definatley has a better interface. I came here because I googled to see if LMS had a way of becoming a plex endpoint. Great for picoreplayer, but also great for e.g. squeezebox boom and the like. The LMS interface was made when people had only a few hundred albums and it just doesn't cut it any more. I have ipeng, but it so Gxx Dxxx fiddly! I don't like it much at all. Plex is better (probably best in terms of free systems, but also a little fiddly at times). Best I've had is Roon but that's expensive. It does integrate with LMS out of the box though which is nice.

Given all the LMS code is open sourced, it's certainly possible someone can make an LMS plugin for Plex. That's essentially what Roon did and it's remarkable.

Apesbrain
2017-12-09, 16:06
Given all the LMS code is open sourced, it's certainly possible someone can make an LMS plugin for Plex.
Plex uses DLNA to move music around. There is a plugin for LMS that is said to convert Squeezebox hardware to DLNA renderers. I've not tried it, but here you go:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103566-Stream-from-DLNA-to-LMS

The LMS interface was made when people had only a few hundred albums and it just doesn't cut it any more.
For you perhaps, but I have over 5,000 albums managed just fine in LMS. There are others on this forum who have multiples of that.

iPhone
2017-12-09, 22:11
Plex definatley has a better interface.

PLEX only has a better interface for Video!

The LMS interface was made when people had only a few hundred albums and it just doesn't cut it any more.

Completely WRONG! I have been around for over a decade and when I started with Slim Devices had thousands of CDs. I now have just over 23,000 CDs ripped to FLAC and it would probably take PLEX a few years to scan them all! I had been using my Touch at a portable location using Tiny LMS and a 2 TB USB Drive with some of my favorite songs on it and PLEX started scanning it when I got home and reconnected to the network and it took forever to scan just that 2TB drive of FLAC files. I have PLEX on my server and use it for video, not music. IMHO, LMS is the ONLY music server software for large music collections. Can't use Sonos, will not handle that large a library. PLEX can't deal with that many songs to scan.

Peter Galbavy
2017-12-11, 05:16
I generally use LMS for music and Plex for video material but I have and do use Plex for certain music applications; A number of personal observations:

People making comparisons between the scanners have simply not set things up right in the first place. On the same hardware looking at the same file and setting Plex up to use the basic (NOT premium) music library with "use embedded tags" results in much the same time as an LMS "clear library and scan". Similarly for re-scans.

Gapless playback is very limited and mostly to externally maintained clients. It's not a server deficiency but a client one and the Plex development of music features in clients is pretty poor.

The metadata handling of compilations / VA albums is horrible and primitive and seems random. It ignores the COMPLILATION tag on all formats completely and instead uses the heuristic of checking the ARTISTS tags to see how many there are. My non-scientific estimate is if it finds about 10% of the tracks from the same artist it puts it under their name. ALBUM ARTIST, while supported, is poorly handled.

On the other hand the standard interface is much better. Sync support is excellent to mobile devices. It's slick.

LMS wins as a nerd's music infrastructure, Plex wins as a consumer facing system.

I have ignored the unavailability of simple (to install and maintain) LMS client hardware and software.

Peter Galbavy
2017-12-11, 05:20
Having said all that I am also running Emby - which is much slower on scanning music, and I've never actually used it to play music.

d6jg
2017-12-11, 05:27
I generally use LMS for music and Plex for video material but I have and do use Plex for certain music applications; A number of personal observations:

People making comparisons between the scanners have simply not set things up right in the first place. On the same hardware looking at the same file and setting Plex up to use the basic (NOT premium) music library with "use embedded tags" results in much the same time as an LMS "clear library and scan". Similarly for re-scans.

Gapless playback is very limited and mostly to externally maintained clients. It's not a server deficiency but a client one and the Plex development of music features in clients is pretty poor.

The metadata handling of compilations / VA albums is horrible and primitive and seems random. It ignores the COMPLILATION tag on all formats completely and instead uses the heuristic of checking the ARTISTS tags to see how many there are. My non-scientific estimate is if it finds about 10% of the tracks from the same artist it puts it under their name. ALBUM ARTIST, while supported, is poorly handled.

On the other hand the standard interface is much better. Sync support is excellent to mobile devices. It's slick.

LMS wins as a nerd's music infrastructure, Plex wins as a consumer facing system.

I have ignored the unavailability of simple (to install and maintain) LMS client hardware and software.

I think this is a very fair assessment. I too use LMS for music and Plex for video but do allow Plex to scan my music also.

SamS
2017-12-11, 07:30

If I could find a decent audio client for Plex, I'd consider moving away from LMS. Especially if it supported multi-channel audio.

I think this is a very fair assessment. I too use LMS for music and Plex for video but do allow Plex to scan my music also.

Yep, same here.

MelonMonkey
2017-12-17, 10:46
I'm going to be VERY generous here. Plex is at least 10 years (of full-time development) behind LMS. Again, that's being VERY generous. I'm not holding my breath for Plex to have caught up in 10 years. I let it scan my music library, but playback is almost exclusively via LMS with iPeng as a controller - I can render/play the music on almost every device throughout my home, plus portables (Squeeeboxes, iPhones, iPads, AndroidTV, AppleTV, AVR/AVP, etc.)

A regular consumer can't and won't set up a Plex server. Let's not kid ourselves here. I support a lot of family and friends for IT and media expertise. None of them are stupid, but none of them could even begin to wrap their heads around setting up Plex properly, especially for use with music.

SamS
2017-12-17, 10:50
I'm going to be VERY generous here. Plex is at least 10 years (of full-time development) behind LMS. Again, that's being VERY generous. I'm not holding my breath for Plex to have caught up in 10 years. I let it scan my music library, but playback is almost exclusively via LMS with iPeng as a controller - I can render/play the music on almost every device throughout my home, plus portables (Squeeeboxes, iPhones, iPads, AndroidTV, AppleTV, AVR/AVP, etc.)

A regular consumer can't and won't set up a Plex server. Let's not kid ourselves here. I support a lot of family and friends for IT and media expertise. None of them are stupid, but none of them could even begin to wrap their heads around setting up Plex properly, especially for use with music.

I'm not following. You use Apple TV, AVRs as LMS, or Plex clients?

Apesbrain
2017-12-17, 13:12
I don't let Plex anywhere near my music, but it's great for video. At least on Windows, the server is trivial to install and clients exist for Roku and Samsung smart TV. Not sure what would make it easier and it's free.

MelonMonkey
2017-12-17, 16:01
I'm not following. You use Apple TV, AVRs as LMS, or Plex clients?

LMS. With Philippe's bridge plugins you can send music practically anywhere: "playback is almost exclusively via LMS with iPeng as a controller"

Plex isn't free for playback on mobile devices, but it's low priced enough that it might as well be. I have a lifetime Plex Pass as well so I can use the Home feature with managed user profiles (but also because I wanted to give back to help them continue development). Its much easier to use, set up and maintain than LMS and it's what I install for friends/family. Remote playback is also great and pretty seamless without any port forwarding nor other firewall mods (requires UPNP support though).

Sinkdrain
2017-12-18, 18:47
The new plexamp app seems interesting. They announced today that they have a stand alone music app based on winamp that supports gapless payback and more. It's for desktop currently.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bernt
2017-12-20, 01:31
They are closing in. Testing the new plexamp and works great both gapless AND volume normalization based on EBU R128.

Looks like the finaly going to use that in server to for users with Plex pass.

All we need now is a headless plexamp that can run on Raspberry PI.

Think I'm going for Plex pass and Plex Premium Music then there is a easy way to run the client on Raspberry PI.

valnar
2017-12-21, 08:39
They have gapless playback but still no FLAC+CUE support yet. Until then, LMS rules.

SamS
2018-01-09, 07:36
The more I use the Plex interface on iOS and tvOS, the more I like it for music playback.

As soon as there is a audio-focused playback device (near Transporter quality), I'll have to seriously consider ditching LMS/Squeezeboxes. My family cares nothing about local library playback, preferring Siri/Alexa for on-demand music playback.