PDA

View Full Version : Official End of Life Annoucement

hemmerdinger
2015-04-30, 05:44
Hi,

I'm a big user of Slim Devices and have been for more than 10 years but this is my first time on the forum.

Did I miss something or has Logitech officially made an end of life announcement for this platform?

I know there has been little love from the mothership recently but it seems in the past 2 years support has completely disappeared.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground.

Rob

garym
2015-04-30, 07:45
Hi,

I'm a big user of Slim Devices and have been for more than 10 years but this is my first time on the forum.

Did I miss something or has Logitech officially made an end of life announcement for this platform?

I know there has been little love from the mothership recently but it seems in the past 2 years support has completely disappeared.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground.

Rob

yep, old news. The TOUCH was discontinued more than two years ago. And the RADIO or UE RADIO was discontinued more than a year ago (could be two years at this point, I lose track). So for a while now Logitech has been completely out of the networked music player business. They have kept mysqueezebox.com going and there has been some minor upgrades to firmware.

The good news is that there is lots of "community" development/improvement of LMS. There's also "ickstream" that can allow SB players to access certain music streaming services, even if (or when) mysqueezebox.com is shut down. And of course there are lots of 3rd party ways to turn micro computers (pi, etc.) into SB playback devices.

Here's an old link to some news:
http://www.cnet.com/news/logitech-leaves-squeezebox-fans-wondering-whats-next/

hemmerdinger
2015-04-30, 10:34
Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.