PDA

View Full Version : Configuring player fixed IP address in system with no DHCP

Swiftie
2015-03-28, 12:09
I have a few questions associated with my post about "Running LMS on a tiny server" in Logitech Media Server

My Duet documentation describes how to assign a fixed IP address for the controller, but it doesn't mention how to assign a fixed IP address for the player. How does this work (or do I need a newer manual than "SB DUET USER GUIDE 1.01 (EMEA/EN)"???

In assigning the fixed IP address in the controller, you have to supply a DNS IP address. I'm planning to install my Duet on a "network" that consists of a Synology DS213air and nothing else. The DS213air has a built-in WiFi access point, but I'm unsure about arrangements for DNS. I've asked if the DS213air has DNS capability (or 3rd party add-on) in the Synology forum.

Does the Duet have any use for IP names and DNS resolution (ignoring mysqueezebox.com for the time being)? The only mention of an IP name that I found was in the LMS Server Settings where I found:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.5 - 1416570306 @ Thu Nov 27 07:38:09 CUT 2014
Hostname: Swiftys
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.2

... I don't know where that "Swiftys" came from - it's accurate enough - but I suspect I entered that name whilst installing the LMS.

Will the Duet object is there if no DHCP server or DNS accessible on my "network"?

Mnyb
2015-03-29, 21:19
I have a few questions associated with my post about "Running LMS on a tiny server" in Logitech Media Server

My Duet documentation describes how to assign a fixed IP address for the controller, but it doesn't mention how to assign a fixed IP address for the player. How does this work (or do I need a newer manual than "SB DUET USER GUIDE 1.01 (EMEA/EN)"???

In assigning the fixed IP address in the controller, you have to supply a DNS IP address. I'm planning to install my Duet on a "network" that consists of a Synology DS213air and nothing else. The DS213air has a built-in WiFi access point, but I'm unsure about arrangements for DNS. I've asked if the DS213air has DNS capability (or 3rd party add-on) in the Synology forum.

Does the Duet have any use for IP names and DNS resolution (ignoring mysqueezebox.com for the time being)? The only mention of an IP name that I found was in the LMS Server Settings where I found:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.5 - 1416570306 @ Thu Nov 27 07:38:09 CUT 2014
Hostname: Swiftys
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.2

... I don't know where that "Swiftys" came from - it's accurate enough - but I suspect I entered that name whilst installing the LMS.

Will the Duet object is there if no DHCP server or DNS accessible on my "network"?

Just use the synology's IP for everything like DNS and gateway and if this don't connect to the Internet you don't need DNS anyway .