PDA

View Full Version : Classic Dead - What to replace it with...

redgum
2015-03-27, 00:01
My SB3 has died. Well, not completely. But I have tried new power supply, removing wifi card and other waving dead chicken suggestions.

My choices appear to be:

1. Take it to local hifi repairer. This would appear to have an uncertain outcome and cost me upwards of $80.
2. Buy a second-hand SB3 on ebay. These appear to go for around $100. Still not certain how long it will last as these appear to be getting old and failure modes appear to be developing (capacitors etc).
3. Buy a cheap android tablet (or android phone) and run SqueezePlayer on it. About $80 for a cheap new 7" tablet. The SB3 is in my study connected to some cheap speakers so I'm tempted to go this direction.
4 .Buy a second hand Ipad (and run Ipeng). Various prices on ebay.

I'm leaning towards option 3. But would be interested if anyone has been on this path. If I get a tablet with a USB, I could add a USB DAC later on? Does the headphone out jack to connect to the amplifier ok?

Are there any other obvious options I'm missing ? (I might build a Rasberry Pi, but that would just be a project.)

I still have a Touch in my lounge room, Radio in my kitchen and Boom in the bedroom. So I'm also trying to wondering which of these will die next and what I replace it with...

Thanks

hsmeets
2015-03-27, 00:47
As long as you can live without a display and are okay with controlling it from your iPeng: use the RPI and use the PiCorePlayer software. That is not much of a project, after you have received parts it should be up and running within 30 minutes. The only thing that could be a project is to stick it into a nice case that meets the WAF.

bernt
2015-03-27, 01:07
As long as you can live without a display and are okay with controlling it from your iPeng: use the RPI and use the PiCorePlayer software. That is not much of a project, after you have received parts it should be up and running within 30 minutes. The only thing that could be a project is to stick it into a nice case that meets the WAF.

+1

Raspberry PI B+ are cheap right now. At least here in Sweden.

d6jg
2015-03-27, 08:29
+1

Raspberry PI B+ are cheap right now. At least here in Sweden.

I don't think the standard analogue out on a Pi is sufficiently good to make it a contender on its own. You will hear unexplained crackle and pops. I think you would have to couple it to either a Pi DAC card or USB Dac pretty much straight away.

I think my preference would be a second hand iPad or iPod Touch with iPeng and perhaps something like one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191532444018?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

The combination of the two would allow you to use the iThingy anwhere around the house as a controller and as a player to the AirPlay adapter wherever you wanted it. These adapters do have an Optical out as well as Analogue.

Grumpy Bob
2015-03-27, 09:06
I'd second the Raspberry Pi solution. I'm running three, all using piCorePlayer 1.19:
A model B with a USB connection to an external DAC
A second model B with a HiFiBerry DAC (this required a small amount of soldering, but not difficult
A model 2 with an IQaudioDAC+ (this requires no soldering and has the advantage of a headphone jack as well as RCAs to connect to the amplifier.

If you're running a DAC already I'd go with the first option.

Robert

Apesbrain
2015-03-27, 10:25
If you want a display -- and a nice one at that -- your idea of using an Android tablet is fine. You should have no problem using the headphone out jack to your amplifier. You'll need the SqueezePlayer and Orange Squeeze apps (or equivalent); both are inexpensive.

You may also need a cable like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CMR210-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000068O3B

Depending on the tablet the USB out may allow use of an external DAC but typically this is the same jack through which the tablet is charged so you'll need to swap things out once in a while.

I really like the Amazon Fire HD 6" for this but not sure it can access Google Play store for apps above. You'll want to confirm that or be sure apps can be side-loaded.

P.S. Seeing your thread title I thought we might be talking about Workingman's Dead or American Beauty. Nothing can replace those.

jfo
2015-03-27, 10:44
You could go with a cheap tablet or ithing and then move to an RPi if/when the SB dies. You can use the tablet for the RPi in any case. My Touch units are still OK but I just built a basic RPi with piCore Player so that I'm covered when the SB's die.

redgum
2015-03-28, 17:40
Thank you for your replies.

It seems low risk to try out a basic RPi with piCore Player as I already use IPeng and Orange Squeeze as controllers.

It would appear to be the cheapest option too :)

garym
2015-03-29, 06:25
Now that the question has been answered, time for a bit of silliness. I have to admit that when I first saw this thread subject line, I immediately thought the OP would be asking something like, "I love listening to classic grateful dead, particularly 1969 through 1973. Please recommend some other bands that I'd like given that I love classic Dead." :cool:

p.s. I'm serious, that's what I actually expected to see.

d6jg
2015-03-29, 09:36
Now that the question has been answered, time for a bit of silliness. I have to admit that when I first saw this thread subject line, I immediately thought the OP would be asking something like, "I love listening to classic grateful dead, particularly 1969 through 1973. Please recommend some other bands that I'd like given that I love classic Dead." :cool:

p.s. I'm serious, that's what I actually expected to see.

Your recommendation then?

Apesbrain
2015-03-29, 10:06
New Riders Of The Purple Sage
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Canned Heat
Moby Grape
Little Feat

...as additions not replacements.

d6jg
2015-03-29, 10:09
I'll go with those although Little Feat are a little later than the timeframe.

garym
2015-03-29, 10:22

The short answer is I have > complete 700 dead shows in addition to the studio albums. So I can't run out. :p

more serious answer is actually quite hard. The Grateful Dead are part psychedelic rock, part americana, part improvisational jazz. So which part of that is one trying to replicate? Maybe some early 70s Allman Brothers. Later on, perhaps Younder Mountain String Band or String Cheese Incident. I've never been much of a Phish fan but don't hate them. But none of these are that similar to the Grateful Dead *to me*.

chrisinparis
2015-03-30, 04:37
Thank you for your replies.

It seems low risk to try out a basic RPi with piCore Player as I already use IPeng and Orange Squeeze as controllers.

It would appear to be the cheapest option too :)

I'm dreading the day that my SB3 dies, or one of my Radios. Suppose i could go the ithingie route (have iPeng with playback, and even the playback app bfore that was possible with ipeng). I look the idea of trying a RPi, but I'm not very good with my hands. Anyway, something to think about it.

Out of all these solutions, which one might work better for syncronised playback?