PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect Duet Receiver to LMS running on Synology NAS

apollinaris
2015-03-14, 14:39
Dear all,

You're my last hope for solving this issue, before I completely give up. To cut a story short, having returned from a number of trips, I found my Duet Receiver in "blue led" mode, not able to connect to LMS running on Synology NAS. This is my third day of trying to take it back to life, so far without success.

I have tried all possible solutions discussed on Net, from resetting and power cycling all three components (router, NAS and Receiver+Controller), to changing connection types (wireless or wired). No success.

LMS running on NAS data:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.3 - 1375965195 @ Mon Aug 19 11:42:55 PDT 2013
Hostname: DiskStation
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.8
Server HTTP Port Number: 9002
Operating system: Synology DiskStation (DSM Package Management) - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: unknown
Perl Version: 5.18.4 - armle-linux
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 0

Controller's Diagnostics data:

Wireless Info:

IP Address: 192.168.1.6
DNS server: 192.168.1.1

Server Info:

mysqueezebox.com: 79.125.18.68 (and constantly changing)
Ping: Ok
TCP Port 3483: Ok
TCP Port 9000: Ok
mysqueezebox registration: registered
LMS: Not connected
Library name: Not connected
Ping: Not connected
TCP Port 3483: Not connected
TCP Port 9000: Not connected

Router/modem info:

Model: Bbox-3 (Belgium Belgacom current modem/wireless router)
Firewall settings: Currently "Medium", tried "Low"
DHCPv4 Server: enabled
Gateway IP: 192.168.1.1

Synology NAS (DS112) info:

LMS: 7.7.3-042 and running (tried stopping, uninstalling, etc)
Firewall: LMS's relevant ports opened through enabled rules
Network test of LMS says: "LAN accessible", checkboxes for "enabled" and "allow through firewall"

I assume there could be two possible explanations: either I miss something small yet significant, or Receiver got damaged while I was away, maybe due to possible electricity blackout, lightning or something, as it stayed connected for a week or so.

By the way, just for the sake of completeness, I must say that I can't connect to mysqueezebox.com (for internet radio for instance) and neither to LMS running on laptop, although I carefully troubleshoot both options.

Do you think there's a way to fix this, before I give up and look for another Duet/Receiver on eBay?

Promise to send you a personal postcard to wherever you live, if things improve...

Best,
Serge

apollinaris
2015-03-15, 10:16
Anyone, please?

w3wilkes
2015-03-15, 12:32
since you've already tried cycling your installation in the order...

Router
NAS w/LMS
Duet

to no avail.

I see from your OP that in Server Info that all LMS ports show as not connected. In my own Windows environment the LMS ports show as Not Connected when LMS is not running. I would start by getting LMS to show the ports as connected. May be a firewall issue.

apollinaris
2015-03-15, 12:43
I would start by getting LMS to show the ports as connected. May be a firewall issue.

Thank you for your feedback. I also feel that the problem is with firewall, either on Synology NAS side or on router's side. However, as I noted in my first post, I have tried setting my router to "low" firewall settings (which stands for "All connection attempts coming from the WAN or initiated from the LAN are permitted") as well as allowing all ports and IPs in NAS security (firewall) settings.

Any ideas? What's the best way to troubleshoot the firewall issue? It is router's firewall that prevents Receiver from connected to NAS or it is the NAS one?

Kind regards,
Serge

w3wilkes
2015-03-15, 13:52
Hopefully another Synology NAS user will jump in. I'm not familiar with that platform. Can you get to the WebUI of LMS? Does your NAS have a web browser installed so that you can browse to 127.0.0.1:9000? From what you originally posted how do you know that LMS is fully initialized?

apollinaris
2015-03-15, 14:05
Can you get to the WebUI of LMS? Does your NAS have a web browser installed so that you can browse to 127.0.0.1:9000? From what you originally posted how do you know that LMS is fully initialized?

Correct, I can. That's precisely where I took status of LMS running on NAS (in my case it is 192.168.1.8:9002). As of today, I have tried dozens of time to factory reset both Receiver and Controller and run the setup process over and over again, under various scenarious. In all cases I'm able to get Receiver into red-yellow-green-blue sequence, which if I understand correctly means that Receiver does get connected to network. But then, as step 2, it cannot hook up with LMS running on Synology.

In your opinion, what could be the first thing potentially preventing it from connecting to LMS - router or NAS? My router, being a standard one from local ISP, gives me little options of configuring its firewall, basically three modes (low, medium and high), as well as Port Mapping, but this is what is beyond my skills.

What really kills me is that everything was working with the very same setup (router, NAS, Duet) just a week or two ago. I didn't introduce any new hardware, nor updates (as far as I see it).

Swiftie
2015-03-15, 23:21
I can think of a couple of experiments which might shed some light:

- Install LMS on a Windows system (I'd use my wife's laptop, or my HP Proliant Microserver) and see if the receiver connects with that.
- If you have the H/W (or can borrow it) Connect both your receiver and NAS to a switch, eliminating traffic through your router. If your receiver is WiFi connected, use a WiFi access point connected to the switch.

If either of these work, then your receiver is working. If neither work, things look bleak for the receiver.

My apologies if I've repeated others' suggestions; my memory (the one inside my head) is not as good as it used to be.

Mnyb
2015-03-15, 23:29
Your router does it have an interface can you see the network adresses of the players and the server ?

This router does not use some kind of guest network for wifi ? Or otherwise separate networks ? Can a computer on wifi see the web-UI for LMS on the NAS .

Provided by ISP it usually have a password ( Google ) and you can get to the UI . Otherwise bridge the sucker and bring your own router that you can configure .

Re firewall on the NAS port 9002 tcp for the web-UI yes and 3483 UDP for the server discovery the feature that makes player automatically se the server . Otherwise you can try to manually provide the IP for the server on the controller something like "remote server" . Or use net::udap .

apollinaris
2015-03-16, 02:27
- Install LMS on a Windows system (I'd use my wife's laptop, or my HP Proliant Microserver) and see if the receiver connects with that.
- If you have the H/W (or can borrow it) Connect both your receiver and NAS to a switch, eliminating traffic through your router. If your receiver is WiFi connected, use a WiFi access point connected to the switch. If either of these work, then your receiver is working. If neither work, things look bleak for the receiver.

I have tried already to install LMS on a Windows system, and still couldn't connect Receiver to it, despite a disabled firewall (Windows 8), LMS running under Administrator's rights, etc. What I haven't tried is to check if this works on a different PC, although I doubt this will go fine, being in the same environment (i.e. same router). I will try this anyways, thank you for your input.

Your router does it have an interface can you see the network adresses of the players and the server ?
Yes, I can access router's Web interface. There I only see Controller as been connected to network, no Receiver ever showed up in Router's interface among connected devices (should it?).

This router does not use some kind of guest network for wifi ? Or otherwise separate networks ? Can a computer on wifi see the web-UI for LMS on the NAS .
Guest WiFi network is not available in this router. My laptop can access LMS's webinterface from 192.168.1.8:9002, and this is where I see that LMS is up and running on NAS.

Re firewall on the NAS port 9002 tcp for the web-UI yes and 3483 UDP for the server discovery the feature that makes player automatically se the server . Otherwise you can try to manually provide the IP for the server on the controller something like "remote server" . Or use net::udap .
On my NAS (Synology DS112) two settings tell me that LMS should be ok through firewall. One is firewall settings itself where LMS is specifically allowed (one thing to note though: in this settings the relevant ports are mentioned as TCP 9002 and 3483 only, no UDP mentioned). The other is in Info status where LMS is shown as "allowed through firewall" and "port forwarded", and if I click "test", it tells me that LMS is "LAN accessible".

All in all, so far I have no clue what's wrong with Receiver other that it's malfunctioning. But then, why would it connect to network (I'm guessing only based on LED's sequence of red-yellow-green-blue during setup)?

On a different side, do you know whether I can purchase another Receiver and pair it with my existing Controller? Or both should come always together, for MACs, serials etc? Buying Receiver only would be obviously cheaper...

Mnyb
2015-03-16, 02:33
Yes, I can access router's Web interface. There I only see Controller as been connected to network, no Receiver ever showed up in Router's interface among connected devices (should it?).

Yes it should with it's own ip and mac id .

Btw you dont use macadress filtering ? don't .

Reciever does it work wired ?

apollinaris
2015-03-16, 02:40
Yes it should with it's own ip and mac id .

Btw you dont use macadress filtering ? don't .

Reciever does it work wired ?

Nope, I don't use MAC filtering...

And no, I couldn't hook up Receiver through wired connection either. Same story as with wireless, I could connect Receiver to network via Ethernet cable (blue LED) but then Controller failed to connect Receiver to LMS on NAS.

I also tried UDAP to enter IP of LMS to Receiver manually, but to no avail, although I'm not 100% sure I did everything correct as I'm a noob in command prompt.

Mnyb
2015-03-16, 04:38
OK did you try without DHCP and use static-IP ? there are cases where DHCP just wont work with the reciever .

apollinaris
2015-03-16, 05:12
OK did you try without DHCP and use static-IP ? there are cases where DHCP just wont work with the reciever .

No, I haven't tried using static IP. Mainly because my Receiver used to work under the same environment (i.e. with DHCP enabled).

Could you please give me more explanations on how I can try this approach? Are we talking about disabling DHCP on my router or NAS? And how can I assign static IP to Receiver? (sorry for these questions, not sure where to start from).

w3wilkes
2015-03-16, 12:18
I find it odd that you get to the blue LED yet you can't see the receiver in the routers attached devices. The blue LED is what you get after DHCP gives the receiver an IP address.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBR_front_button_and_LED
When you do a factory reset are you holding the button on the receiver for at least 15 to 20 seconds before releasing? When you release the button you should get a fast red blink that will then shift to a slow red blink. You should also do a factory reset on the controller. If you want to try it cabled, plug in the Ethernet and then do the factory reset. Factory reset the controller and then begin setup. Can't remember for sure, but I think the sequence should go like pick your receiver by the last few positions of the MAC address, ask for language and then ask if you want a wired or wireless connection.

I did have a problem once where my receiver would do what your saying in that regardless of what I did the receiver would only go to the blue LED. I ended up having to use a wired connection and doing the configuration using NET::Udap. I made sure to set the LMS server IP address and set it to wireless. I then unplugged the receiver from ethernet, did a reset (quick push, not a factory reset) and finished the setup from the controller.

Beyond this, I'm completely out of ideas.

apollinaris
2015-03-16, 13:22
I find it odd that you get to the blue LED yet you can't see the receiver in the routers attached devices. The blue LED is what you get after DHCP gives the receiver an IP address.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBR_front_button_and_LED

Just a quick follow-up: Under normal conditions, do I see both Controller and Receiver in the router's attached devices or just the Controller? Because I do see Controller, not the Receiver.

As for factory reset, I'm confident that I'm doing it right, although it takes my Receiver less or about 10 seconds to enter into "fast red-flashing" mode. I also tried using NetUDAP, but it never worked out well, either because it didn't restart well after I entered server IP or because I couldn't even enter data because of unknown issues.

I'm planning to invite over a friend of mine who's way better than me in terms of networks and devices like that. Maybe he'll spot that minor detail which makes a huge difference. Keep my fingers crossed.

Mnyb
2015-03-16, 14:16
static ip will become an option in the setup once you turned of the routers dhcp .

Then you have to enter everything manually ip ,subnet ,dns ,etc .

Also configure the router to not include the adress area you set of to use with static ip in the DHCP once you restart that .

If you for some reason nees to do this set the server on static ip to .

Note that reserving IP in the router is not the same thing .

apollinaris
2015-03-18, 16:25
Well, I just realised (noticed) that during setup procedure Receiver doesn't get the IP of the server (e.g. 192.198.1.10) where LMS is running but rather gets a local (fake) IP (169.x.x.x.). Apparently it's also a rather common issue. I tried UDAP to manually enter the IP of my LMS server running on NAS but Receiver still fails to connect to server, after all procedures done properly, with blue LED on, and no connection to NAS server and neither to mysqueezebox.com. All firewall settings on both router and NAS are fine. Totally clueless and almost about to give up and start looking for alternatives (SB Touch, Sonos Connect, etc.).

Still, any ideas from you?

Mnyb
2015-03-18, 22:25
It own IP should be different than the server these are two different settings . But it should start with 192.168.1.x and not be used by anything else subnet 255.255.255.0 DNS can be the routers own IP 192.168.1.1 for example .

Then there is also a setting for the lmS server ip .

apollinaris
2015-03-19, 14:56
So, after almost a week of sleepless nights I finally solved the issue. I'll leave explanation here for future generations trying to fix their Squeezeboxes :)

As mentioned in my previous post, at some point I noticed that during setup Contoller showed that Receiver got connected to local IP address of 169.x.x.x. which is a fake one. Which means effectively that Receiver can't get connected to DHCP server (which in most cases is home router) and subsequently it can't connect to LMS running either on PC or or NAS.

So I first disabled temporary DHCP in my router's settings. New setup and Controller asked to enter all the relevant IPs and subnets manually. You should enter the IP of your server where LMS is running. Surprisingly, Receiver still couldn't connect. So I have reset the router back to its original settings, which means DHCP was on again. And Receiver got connected to LMS successfully this time. So play with your DHCP if you have similar symptoms.

It's a bit annoying though that it took me so many attempts, dozens of forum threads and numerous hours of trying, before you get it sorted.

Thanks to all submitting their contributions here!

Best,
Serge