PDA

View Full Version : Microwave oven interference

Ikabob
2015-03-04, 02:46
This is not a serious problem but I thought id ask.
Is there a way to eliminated the dropouts that occur when the microwave oven is used.
Thank you.

reinholdk
2015-03-04, 05:08
Already tried to change the WiFi channels of your router/AP? Also see here (http://superuser.com/a/637598).

Ikabob
2015-03-04, 07:40
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check some router settings and make changes if necessary.

4mula1
2015-03-04, 08:38
I always had a problem with my Linksys WAP54G access point getting clobbered by the microwave. Not only would the Squeezebox on top of the microwave lose connection, but the Squeezebox and Wii in the next room would lose connection as well as any other device on the network.

I picked up an Asus RT-AC68U router and believe it or not the microwave no longer interferes with the wireless. Netflix on the Wii plays just fine as does the Squeezebox on top of the microwave itself. Phones and tablets in the house use the 5GHz band so those are completely unaffected now.

Mnyb
2015-03-04, 10:30
Another q should a microwave oven really leak that much ? I would change the oven . My old wrt54gl did not have problems with my microwave .
And especially if the effect is not very local and if it can disturb stuff rooms away , I would definitely change the oven .

Ikabob
2015-03-04, 11:49
Already tried to change the WiFi channels of your router/AP? Also see here (http://superuser.com/a/637598).

Thank you.

Mark Miksis
2015-03-04, 12:03
Another q should a microwave oven really leak that much ? I would change the oven . My old wrt54gl did not have problems with my microwave .
And especially if the effect is not very local and if it can disturb stuff rooms away , I would definitely change the oven .

Agreed. Older or cheaper microwave ovens will leak more than newer ones.

usbethjim
2015-03-04, 16:17
Check your signal strength to the unit on the LMS settings/info page. I have an SB3 that was in the 40% range and it sits on top of a microwave and it dropped out any time the microwave was on. Added another router as an access point closer to the SB3 and it's in the 80% range now and never drops out. Problem solved!

http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

Jim

ftlight
2015-03-04, 16:46
I had a problem with my Boom in the kitchen, which is about two feet from the microwave - it would periodically rebuffer whenever the microwave was running. I switched to a different router, and without anything else changing I haven't had any trouble since.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2015-03-07, 02:54
I've seen this happen with many different Squeezebox products .

kc5f
2015-03-07, 07:35
I found it was a problem to have the microwave between the router and the Squeezebox. Our solution was to put the router on a shelf about a foot above the microwave, and that solved most of it. Now, with a new router, too, we don't notice any problems.

phil5556
2015-03-07, 08:18
My Radio used to sit on top of the microwave and was affected by it. It now sits about 2 foot to the left of it at the same height and is perfect.

reinholdk
2015-03-07, 14:19
You guys who successfully fixed your issue with a new router, did you try changing channel settings of your old router before buying a new one?
(Of course, a more powerful new router is not a bad thing anyway.)

ftlight
2015-03-07, 18:20
You guys who successfully fixed your issue with a new router, did you try changing channel settings of your old router before buying a new one?
Yes, I had tried channels at both ends and in the middle on the old router. My new router is working fine on channel 1.

Mnyb
2015-03-07, 23:47
Some thoughts .

40% is very weak can be upsett by anything .

Routers have developed a lot I replaced my olde wrt54gl with a wrt1900ac a world of difference .

So if the router is 5-10 years old let it kick the bucket :)

kc5f
2015-03-08, 16:03
I didn't, as the other channels were active in our area. But the router itself died, solving the problem!