PDA

View Full Version : Is my Squeezebox v3 dead?

thekidct
2015-02-27, 11:55
Yesterday while I was listening to my Squeezebox v3, it just stopped working. It was plugged in, but appears to have no power going to it. I tried another power adapter...nothing. I checked the original plug...it worked. Could it have fried? Has this happened to anyone else? It is definitely more than 5 years old (make that 8). I considered trying to open it up then realized I wouldn't know what to do anyway.
Any suggestions?
Thanx!!!:(

bpa
2015-02-27, 13:16
Is there a red light in the optical connection ?

thekidct
2015-02-27, 13:21
Yes there is...

bpa
2015-02-27, 13:33
Yes there is...

Two most likely causes - power supply voltage faulty (e.g. too low ) or wifi card has died.

A dead wifi card and this will stop SB from working. To open SB you need a special Torx t10 screwdriver. The wifi card can be removed easily and if the card was faulty then SB will work OK but just with ethernet connection. A replacement wifi card is quite cheap.

See http://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/ for an idea on how to open the SB and remove the card.

thekidct
2015-02-27, 13:37
It was already hooked up directly through an ethernet connection because the card had died already. I guess I have a voltage issue. :(

bpa
2015-02-27, 13:47
It was already hooked up directly through an ethernet connection because the card had died already. I guess I have a voltage issue. :(

Has the wifi card been removed ? If the card is still installed it will stop the SB3 from working.

The fact you swapped PSU makes me think it may not be just a PSU issue.

thekidct
2015-02-27, 13:52
I actually don't remember if the wifi card was removed (maybe I do have one of those tools to open it up)...but I don't think that was the issue since I've been using the ethernet connection for at least 2-3 years now. Again, I was listening to it and then nothing. No sign of power on the unit. I will attempt to take the card out, but any other ideas? btw...thank you for this so far. :-)

thekidct
2015-02-27, 15:02
...and I was able to open the Squeezebox...and the wifi card is in fact, out.

bpa
2015-02-27, 16:03
...and I was able to open the Squeezebox...and the wifi card is in fact, out.

Have you tried a Xilinx reset ? - press and keep holding 1 on the remote when you apply power to SB. If Sb recognises it will display a message.

see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_La st_FW

thekidct
2015-02-27, 17:48
Just tried that. Nothing. I just remembered that this is the 2nd power adapter that I've used. Could it be the power thing you were talking about?