PDA

View Full Version : How do i get Songs and Search Songs on the menu

SqueezeMe2
2015-02-21, 00:01
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a simple noob question. I have searched but cant find anything about it.

I have two new squeezebox's and am just setting up the server. I've got everything working and all is good. However, i cant find where to put a song selector or search by song name in the squeezebox's menus. I've got Artists and Albums but need Songs, and a song searcher.

What am i missing here? :-)

Kev

mherger
2015-02-21, 01:38
> I have two new squeezebox's and am just setting up the server. I've got
> everything working and all is good. However, i cant find where to put a
> song selector or search by song name in the squeezebox's menus. I've
> got Artists and Albums but need Songs, and a song searcher.

Your local music? A music service? What SB model?

--

Michael

SqueezeMe2
2015-02-22, 18:34
> I have two new squeezebox's and am just setting up the server. I've got
> everything working and all is good. However, i cant find where to put a
> song selector or search by song name in the squeezebox's menus. I've
> got Artists and Albums but need Songs, and a song searcher.

Your local music? A music service? What SB model?

--

Michael

It is my local music collection and they are SqueezeBox 2's. I can't find these in the server menu to be able to add. I can see Artists and Albums but not Songs.

I just found an old thread saying they have been removed! Is that true? If so, what was the last stable version to have them? I just want to list all my songs as I can never remember Artists or what Albums the songs were in.

w3wilkes
2015-02-22, 21:57
A listing by songs seems like it would be a rather tedious thing to look through. Searching for a song is easy enough. You can click on Search under the My Music grouping on the LMS WebUI which will then present a search by Album, Artist, Songs, Playlists or you can just hover your mouse over the word Search in the My Music drop down of the LMS WebUI and a search box will appear to the right (you can search for songs, albums, artists from this box) or in the dark gray of the top left panel of the WebUI you can hover over the magnifying glass and a search box will appear directly to the left and again you can search for anything. If that's not quite good enough you can click on the magnifying glass and in the result area click on Advanced Search and you'll get a dialog which will give you the ability to search with more than one filter criteria, like if you want to search for a song and limit it to a year or album, etc. The only thing I've not found is a way to get to the Advanced Search dialog directly.

Hope you can find the song you're looking for with one of these many search methods provided in LMS! ;-)

Mnyb
2015-02-22, 22:20
Or simply open an album and pick a song from there .

Or actually under each artist you find beside an album listing a song listing ( depending on interface )

But the searche options put forward massive amount of songs .

Once you start adding songs the now playing list starts to fill , remeber to add songs if that's wht you want .

Squeezebox functions very literaly play song album or artist or genre means just that . Press ply on a single song and that's what you get the rest of the playlist is removed .
So if want to build up your now playing list use "add" "add to end" or "play next" these build to your list .

Also there are random mix functions .

Btw the now playing list can be saved as a playlist .

You can also use playlist done by other applications in *.pls or *.m3u format , given that the file paths are what LMS expect ( but it easy to fix with a text editor if they are not ) .

Mnyb
2015-02-22, 22:21
Yes a complete listing of my 45000 songs would be unmanagble , I search all the time .

Btw if you got a pad or smartphone use some of the wonderful apps aviable to controll the squeezebox .

w3wilkes
2015-02-22, 22:56
One thing you should be aware of when you decide to play a song is a setting that is settable for each player. Click on Settings (bottom right of WebUI) and on the Player tab you will find 2 drop downs. The first one is to select your player and the 2nd one is for setting some options for the selected player. In the Basic Settings you'll see an item called Play Other Songs In Album. I set mine to Play only selected song. The other option for this setting is to not only play your selected song, but the rest of the songs in that album or directory. LMS has SO MUCH FLEXIBILITY that it takes a good long while to get comfortable with it. On top of the basic functions, of which there's tons, there are some pretty cool plugins. My favorites are the Dynamic playlists and SQL Playlists that one of our members Erland has built. In the 7.9 LMS there's even more goodies, it seems like there should be a 7.9 official community version soon since it's been about 1.5 years since 7.8 was released, but who knows??

SqueezeMe2
2015-02-27, 19:03
I found a few threads on this and yes, the functionality was removed (no mention as to why or by whom interestingly); looking at some of the threads seems an area of contention - users asking for it back and developers, techowannabees and Net Nannies saying no they are silly for wanting it. Usual story lol :-)

If anyone else is using their Squeezebox's wrongly and are daft enough to want the simple Songs (and Search Songs) menu items, 7.5.5 (Debian) is the last stable version with that functionality. Installed and works great.

FYI. Why do i want it? 'Cause I don't go by Albums any more (that is an old hangover from the Vinyl & CD days; pretty much pointless now but clung on to by luddites) & sometimes I just like to randomly wiz through my collection (5000 songs) randomly picking a bunch a play. Simple as that really.....

Thanks all

Kev

Jeddie
2015-07-10, 02:46
I found a few threads on this and yes, the functionality was removed (no mention as to why or by whom interestingly); looking at some of the threads seems an area of contention - users asking for it back and developers, techowannabees and Net Nannies saying no they are silly for wanting it. Usual story lol :-)

If anyone else is using their Squeezebox's wrongly and are daft enough to want the simple Songs (and Search Songs) menu items, 7.5.5 (Debian) is the last stable version with that functionality. Installed and works great.

FYI. Why do i want it? 'Cause I don't go by Albums any more (that is an old hangover from the Vinyl & CD days; pretty much pointless now but clung on to by luddites) & sometimes I just like to randomly wiz through my collection (5000 songs) randomly picking a bunch a play. Simple as that really.....

Thanks all

Kev

I agree.
What I want is a list of songs.

stereoptic
2015-07-10, 06:32

I'm happy that you found a way to access your 5000 song directory in a manner in which you prefer. There are methods to let LMS do the randomizing for you. It is not perfect, but the random function on web interface is effective enough. Also, take a look at some of the plug-ins (approved and 3rd party) for other options.

BTW, to label those of us who prefer to listen to and enjoy an album in its entirety and designed sequence (which in itself is an art form) as "luddites" is insulting and not a respectful way to introduce yourself to the forum, especially when you are looking for advise. :(

Kushner
2015-07-13, 00:12
It is my local music collection and they are SqueezeBox 2's. I can't find these in the server menu to be able to add. I can see Artists and Albums but not Songs.

new country songs 2016 (http://www.top100songscharts.com/)

I just found an old thread saying they have been removed! Is that true? If so, what was the last stable version to have them? I just want to list all my songs as I can never remember Artists or what Albums the songs were in.

Can i see your collection?

Mnyb
2015-07-13, 01:58
Another option just make a huge playlist with everything in it . Dont forget to rise the default limit of 500 tracks for a playlist to something larger .

If its a small collection of only 5000 songs . Recent server hardware has no problem with it .

LMS is not very good at handle large lists , it depends on server hardware . On a fast machine no problem . but a NAS can becomme unresponsive for 15 minutes or so , but this issue is actualy improved a lot with recent version of the server :)

If you press shuffle on a 20k song playlist expect the server to be absent for a minute even on fast machine ....

I dont think anyone wanted to be nasty when removing this function , but it had a possibility to crash the server . For it to really work smoothly it is not only to restore the meny but rethink the whole playlist architechture of the server .

besides us old farts thinks if an artist can't produce a whole album of consistently good songs it's not worth anyones time ;) an album in itself usually have theme or represent some phase in the artist songwriting or could be a live performance .
Album migth be an obselete word . What else to call a set of songs that loosely belongs together ?