PDA

View Full Version : Running Multiple Instances of Squeezebox - help

Andrew F in Australia
2015-02-15, 02:35
HI All,

I came across the following through a google search that gives commands to install.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Running_multiple_servers

Could I please get a bit of guidance with the Windows installation commands to do this. (Yes, I did go through the FAQ and past posts)

Background:
I've got three Logitech Squeezebox Duets and a Slim Transporter connected to a server (Dual boot Windows/Ubuntu,) at the moment, wirelessly.

Unfortunately, the Transporter buffers constantly meaning that you can not listen to it without long interruptions

I've got to connect the Transporter to the server (which is 2 feet away from it) with the original CAT5 Crossover cable as shown to avoid the buffering problem across all four units. For some reason, if I put a default DNS in from a different network, it still connects to the internet.

When I connected as per this diagram, it disconnects the wireless Music Streamers from the network.

As stated above, could I please get some guidance on how to use the commands in the above link to run multiple instances of Squeezebox Server on the one machine.

(Background: I normally run Linux but the server's completely broken/DOA at the moment - Trusty Tahr and Mediaserver 7.8.0 and 7.9.0 didn't work. Must have a python library problem) One thing at a time - I went back to Windows to check that the server wasn't broken. Am going to get it working fully in Windows then configure Linux afterwards - may need some help with the broken Linux setup but that will be at a later date.)

With many thanks in advance

Mnyb
2015-02-15, 02:46
Why can't the servers ethernet port be on the same network ? Having a an 192.168.0.x adress ? That may just solve your issue without the need for multiple servers . You may have to bridge the interfaces in some way on the server .

Or I see that the server is also wireless a good idea woul be to wire the server to the router that would cut the wifi load in half for all players ( and run wire from the router to the transporter )

mintaudio
2015-02-15, 06:20
I don't think LMS can bind to multiple subnets. You need to put your transporter on the same network as everything else;

Either set your second server NIC to something like 192.168.0.13 or plug the transporter direct into with wireless router - with a 192.168.0.x address (or DHCP).

epoch1970
2015-02-15, 09:10
I would look at connecting the server to the router via a cable. That would help the performance of all wireless clients. You could deactivate the wifi interface in the server then.
If not possible then you actually want to run a bridge in the server, between the wireless and the wired interface. This way your transporter would get an address on the same network as the other SBs. Right now you have turned your server into a router, not into a switch (=a bridge), so you end up with separate networks.
In any case the server can listen to all interfaces within the server. Running multiple instances of the server means separate preferences, separate music DBs, no sync ... If you do not have a specific reason to seek complete separation between 2 audio networks, you should run a single server instance.

d6jg
2015-02-16, 12:51
Cable it all on one network. If the server is too far from the router use home plug with 2 Ethernet ports at the server end - one for the server and one for the Transorter.
What you currently have is never going to work optimally.

Mnyb
2015-02-16, 22:00
Cable it all on one network. If the server is too far from the router use home plug with 2 Ethernet ports at the server end - one for the server and one for the Transorter.
What you currently have is never going to work optimally.

Nicely summed , homeplugs for the transporter but why not simply move the server to the router ?
Maybe its doing some more stuff