PDA

View Full Version : Online storage with the duet

mike d
2015-02-12, 12:46
Can anyone tell me is there a way of using A online storage like ( google drive ) to play audio files with the duet. MP3tunes Music Locker don't work.

Swiftie
2015-02-12, 23:19
I don't make much use of online space, so I'm guessing, but I expect you can find a way to mount a Google Drive as a local drive (so it becomes your G: drive, say) and then you could presumably add the drive (or a directory within it) as part of your media library.

That's all rather Windows-based.

It all depends where you run your LMS (Logitech Media Server), and whether or not that system supports a mechanism to mount a cloud drive.

Mnyb
2015-02-12, 23:32
Would work in any OS if you mounth the drive

Some issues thou .

Scanning over Internet ! LMS scan are quite slow over network , to have fiber Internet connection is esential ,ADSL eehh .

Network drive must always be mounted before LMS server start, when LMS figures that the files are not there it flushes it's dB and we are back to scanning again .

LMS needs to be running .

MP3 locker was offered as an app I think when it work did not mysqueezebox.com do some heavy lifting around it .

However the squeezebox player depends on a server somewhere at home or Logitech's , you just can't piont the player to a bunch of files .

mike d
2015-02-13, 02:03
Thanks all for the reply. I'm new to this but is there a step by step way of setting up A online storage with my duet it seem too complex.

Mnyb
2015-02-13, 02:06
Thanks all for the reply. I'm new to this but is there a step by step way of setting up A online storage with my duet it seem too complex.

what swiftie sugested was setting up an online drive mounted to the computer running LMS .

The only change there is to LMS is to change the music location .

My post was only to piont out that it migth not work as well as you want it too .

mike d
2015-02-13, 10:00
OK all i will try that thanks for the info.

Swiftie
2015-02-14, 00:46
First off, what system is your LMS server running on? I'll assume windows.
If you go to https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2374989?hl=en then you'll find instructions on getting your Google drive to appear as a local drive on your system.

Try this, then let us know how you got on. I'd try it myself, but I'm in the throes of installing an extra USB3 controller card in my PC, so I don't want to be playing with other devices at the moment.

Yes, adding a card should be simple under Windows, but there are physical problems (my Video adapter invades the only spare PCI-e slot in my system, so I've had to guess which card will overlap without touching). There are also driver problems; every time I try to update the drivers on my existing USB3 controller, I lose contact with all my USB2 devices. Since this includes my keyboard and mouse, it makes recovery somewhat challenging).

Swiftie
2015-02-14, 00:52
Hmm... I've just noticed that Google Drive seems to work by syncronising between your system and your Google Drive. So, you would still be playing the files from your local system. This would resolve performance problems, but then you would't really be playing music from your Google Drive (the one "out there" in the network somewhere).

Mnyb
2015-02-14, 00:57
Hmm... I've just noticed that Google Drive seems to work by syncronising between your system and your Google Drive. So, you would still be playing the files from your local system. This would resolve performance problems, but then you would't really be playing music from your Google Drive (the one "out there" in the network somewhere).

That would not resolve the having your cake and eat it problem .

Me want blistering fast server performance for a shed load of files / me don't want to run computer :)

Real world solution a reasonably fast mini computer with decent energy consumption ( HP microserver , mini itx , x86 based NAS ) put the thing in a closet somewhere ....

But I shall investigate cloud storage just because my backup strategy is currently a mess , what do they guarantee in terms of safety for your files ?

w3wilkes
2015-02-14, 19:31
I'd guess they guarantee the files will be safe until something bad happens to them. They probably also guarantee they'll be online unless they're not.

poing
2015-02-14, 19:41
I'd guess they guarantee the files will be safe until something bad happens to them. They probably also guarantee they'll be online unless they're not.
Well put!

Mnyb
2015-02-15, 02:03

Great I'll just buy some more USB drives then :) your are ofcourse correct in this brave new world everyone is happy to provide services ( while mining your data ) but guarantee thier functionality they will not .

mike d
2015-02-15, 02:07
Hmm... I've just noticed that Google Drive seems to work by syncronising between your system and your Google Drive. So, you would still be playing the files from your local system. This would resolve performance problems, but then you would't really be playing music from your Google Drive (the one "out there" in the network somewhere). Ok how would you get squeezebox to talk to google drive.

toby10
2015-02-15, 03:14
Ok how would you get squeezebox to talk to google drive.

You don't. You simply tell Google Drive to "sync" (backup) certain folders/files on your computer. In this case your music library. But this is only backing up your music files, you are not playing music from Google Drive.

Swiftie
2015-02-15, 22:51
Great I'll just buy some more USB drives then :)
The problem with USB drives are that they don't survive fire very well. You need offsite backups for complete safety. This is where cloud storage can be very handy. You don't need it to be 100% reliable, as the chance of your needing it is very small, if your local backups are reliable enough.

I have a reciprocal arrangement with a friend of mine; we both have a lot of spare space, so we run overnight backups onto each other's systems. We live about 13 miles apart, so any disaster which affects both of us simultaneously would almost certainly make us forget all about our files... I'm sure that the likes of Google are better on average than my friends system at securing their (our) data, but I take great comfort from our setup.

I tried suggesting a backup sharing mechanism along the lines of bittorrent. You'd sign up by offering to share a certain amount of storage. In exchange, you could backup your systems to other systems (who'd also signed up). I think of the amount of free space going to waste "out there", whilst I come across so many people who never think about backups until it is too late. It's a match made in heaven, if only someone would implement it. If you are the person who eventually writes this process, don't forget that your app would have to backup files onto at least two different other clients, as this is a voluntary effort, and they may not always be online when you need a restore...

Mnyb
2015-02-15, 23:04
I usually try place USB drives at friends but it's been an while