PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Classic questions

Wayde
2015-02-09, 07:57
Hi and thanks in advance for reading and helping with any answers.

I've been using the Squeezebox classic for years, since before it was called "classic" and was a Slim Devices. Although I haven't pushed the envelope I've got a few questions that I hope someone can help.

1. Internet Radio: Some of the built-in options include Pandora, I'm wondering if there's a way to make my Squeezebox login to my Google Music account and use it similar to how it uses Pandora?

2. Resolution: I'm wondering if squeezebox classic or Squeezebox Media Server downsamples 24/96 hi-res audio. I have searched and read extensively on this including on this forum and it seems there's no simple answer.

I have many 24/96 FLAC files in my collection and they stream nicely to either of my Squeezebox Classic but I'd like to ensure I'm getting the best sound quality possible.

I'm presently using Squeezebox Media Server V.7.7.5, I have noticed there is a 7.9 out there... but I'm not sure that's relevant to resolution.

Is either SMS and my Classic downsampling the hi-res FLAC files?

Thanks for any answers. If anyone has some suggested reading material please point me to a link, I'm in the process of researching more on this system.

Wayde

Mnyb
2015-02-09, 09:01
Yes as the classic supports 24/48 everything above that is resampled by the LMS server using SoX , you can't really do anything about that so you are getting the best possible .

But if your not a bat that will be good enough .

Wayde
2015-02-09, 10:46
Yes as the classic supports 24/48 everything above that is resampled by the LMS server using SoX , you can't really do anything about that so you are getting the best possible .

But if your not a bat that will be good enough .

Good to know. I don't try to extol the virtues of true hi-res audio but I just wanted to know if it was downsampling and if so to what. This is good info, I think I read that SMS does the downsampling for you so it's not really a function of the hardware. Thanks for answer!

Wayde

Mnyb
2015-02-09, 11:03
Good to know. I don't try to extol the virtues of true hi-res audio but I just wanted to know if it was downsampling and if so to what. This is good info, I think I read that SMS does the downsampling for you so it's not really a function of the hardware. Thanks for answer!

Wayde

it's done this way for two main reasons ,the cpu in the players can not do it . and if you have multiple players synced the server figures which player are least capable and set the rate to that .
As a bonus they picked a really good resampling app namely SoX it considered one of the best .

I have 2 Touch and one Radio and one Boom in use .

My Touches support 24/96 but not the other players so if I do multi-room sync the whole systems falls back to 24/48 as an example .

The server resamplig helper apps SoX flac ,faad et al can come to use for other reasons . The squeezebox supports many formats file or stream formats but not all and the server is eaiser to modify to support new formats so the whole system supports more formats than any individual player can do .

For example if you use LMS 7.9 and happens to own some DSD files , you can get the play DSD plugin that resamples such files to your SB Classic/SB3 thats really cool because that player was designed (originally as SB2 back in 2005 ish ) when there was no DSD files for download .

A side note the whole plugin system makes for example spotify on the old SB Classic a possibility (via a third party plugin).

So if one is prepared to run the server somewhere in ones network you get a lot out of these old players :)

toby10
2015-02-10, 02:19
Google Music:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98526-Google-Music-Plugin&highlight=google