PDA

View Full Version : If CD won't rip is it grounds for return?

d6jg
2015-02-02, 13:52
As title. But it plays OK in a CD player. Both EAC and dbPoweramp can't rip the first 5 tracks.

markiii
2015-02-02, 14:06
No chance, it's purpose is to play in a red book CD player, which it evidently does

w3wilkes
2015-02-02, 14:06
You imply that EAC and DBPowerAmp can rip tracks 6 through n, is that true? I have a CD (Flim and the BB's - Tricycle) that refuses to rip on either of my laptops due to an error something like "read command not found", I've not had a problem with any other CD's on my laptops (I've rip'd over 1,300 between the 2 laptops). I think the problem is the physical drive since it does rip using an old Pioneer drive on my tower with both EAC and DBPowerAmp.

d6jg
2015-02-02, 14:10
Sorry yes. Tracks 6 onward are OK.
I will try it again on a different PC tomorrow.

get.amped
2015-02-02, 14:15
I rarely have a problem with a new CD but sometimes I'll have to try 3 or 4 different optical drives on an older one, e.g. from the 80s or 90s. Usually I can get one of them to give me a clean rip. I've also had just the CD laser fail in 2 DVD and 1 BR multidrives. Apparently there is a limit to just how many discs one of them can read.

d6jg
2015-02-02, 14:15
I can return it under Amazon's return policy so the question is a bit academic in my case but had I bought it from a vendor with a less enlightened return policy I guess the answer would be No.
My real question I suppose is has anyone seen this before? 100% ok in a CD player but only 50% ok in a PC. If it was 0% in the PC I could sort of understand.

d6jg
2015-02-02, 14:19
BTW the CD in question is from 1993 and is "Listen To The Music: The Very Best Of The Doobie Brothers"
I don't like albums called the Very Best Of it infers that anything called the Best Of isn't really the case and that you were an idiot for buying it.

get.amped
2015-02-02, 14:23
BTW the CD in question is from 1993 and is "Listen To The Music: The Very Best Of The Doobie Brothers"
I don't like albums called the Very Best Of it infers that anything called the Best Of isn't really the case and that you were an idiot for buying it.

Yes, now I feel like my "Best Of The Doobies" is just not good enough :rolleyes:

d6jg
2015-02-02, 14:25
Idiot! :)

markiii
2015-02-02, 14:47
Red book standard allows for on the fly error interpolation, it has to as its playing in real time. Ripping try's to get 100% accuracy and will keep on trying and trying until sometimes the drive gets really warm.

I've had the odd disc that although looking perfect won't rip. Usually dbpoweramp in burst rather than secure mode will crack it. I assume that's because it like the red book standard accepts a certain amount of errors

Mnyb
2015-02-02, 14:57
If have always had better luck with full size drives in a real computer compared to laptops ?

It had been explained to me in these forums that this should not really be the genral case , but that's what I've noticed .

d6jg
2015-02-02, 15:02
In my case this is a full size combo drive in a fairly recent Lenovo Thinkcentre - Intel i5 with 8gb RAM
Tomorrow I will try my Vortexbox (old Dell server) and my Laptop (HP250).

w3wilkes
2015-02-02, 16:51
Dang, I must be an idiot also... Best of the Doobies and to make matters worse... Best of the Doobies - Vol. II

Pascal Hibon
2015-02-03, 01:12
I have a few CD's who don't rip at all but never had a partial CD that wouldn't rip.
In the few cases where the CD wouldn't rip it was because of a copy protection mechanism applied to the CD.
I don't expect a copy protect mechanism to be implemented on just a few songs of the CD but one can never know...

d6jg
2015-02-03, 01:54
Dang, I must be an idiot also... Best of the Doobies and to make matters worse... Best of the Doobies - Vol. II

Idiot isn't strong enough !! :D

majones
2015-02-03, 02:40
Idiot isn't strong enough !!
What's the view on download purchases of The Doobie Brothers? Idiot or not idiot?

JJZolx
2015-02-03, 06:16
I doubt that any retailer would allow you to return a CD if you claimed you "couldn't rip it". You could try claiming that it wouldn't play and see if they'll exchange it for another copy. Few, if any, places will give you a refund for an opened CD or DVD, because they can be so easily be copied.

atrocity
2015-02-03, 08:34
My real question I suppose is has anyone seen this before? 100% ok in a CD player but only 50% ok in a PC. If it was 0% in the PC I could sort of understand.

I've seen:

1. Discs that look perfect and play fine but refuse to rip cleanly in any drive

2. Discs that look perfect and play fine but will only rip cleanly in *some* drives

3. Discs that look chewed up but read perfectly in a single pass

4. Discs with damage that interfered with normal playback but that ripped cleanly

5. "Bronzed" PDO discs that looked screwed up but ripped just fine

6. And yes, visually-perfect discs where only some tracks can be read in some drives

After ripping too-many-thousand CDs I think I've seen it all. I can't make any generalizations about commercially-produced discs, but I can say that those who sprung for Taiyo Yuden and/or Mitsui CD-Rs did not waste their money.

I keep a couple of very, very old IDE Teac and Plextor drives around and mount them in a USB adaptor for problem discs. Sometimes even a brand new disc requires hooking one or both of them up to get a clean read.

d6jg
2015-02-03, 09:51
What's the view on download purchases of The Doobie Brothers? Idiot or not idiot?

I think you may have missed the point. See posts 7 & 8. It is in jest.

It is where you buy the "Best Of" only to be presented with an option for the "Very Best Of" at a later date. I don't think it matters where or how you buy it.

d6jg
2015-02-03, 10:50
I've seen:

1. Discs that look perfect and play fine but refuse to rip cleanly in any drive

2. Discs that look perfect and play fine but will only rip cleanly in *some* drives

3. Discs that look chewed up but read perfectly in a single pass

4. Discs with damage that interfered with normal playback but that ripped cleanly

5. "Bronzed" PDO discs that looked screwed up but ripped just fine

6. And yes, visually-perfect discs where only some tracks can be read in some drives

After ripping too-many-thousand CDs I think I've seen it all. I can't make any generalizations about commercially-produced discs, but I can say that those who sprung for Taiyo Yuden and/or Mitsui CD-Rs did not waste their money.

I keep a couple of very, very old IDE Teac and Plextor drives around and mount them in a USB adaptor for problem discs. Sometimes even a brand new disc requires hooking one or both of them up to get a clean read.

CD was a 6.
It has ripped OK in my Vortexbox drive where there is no accuraterip implementation.

audio53
2015-02-03, 14:13

Depends. Was it a hi-res download or "just" 16/44?

callesoroe
2015-02-04, 08:35
As title. But it plays OK in a CD player. Both EAC and dbPoweramp can't rip the first 5 tracks.

Have you tried to set DBpoweramp to rip in "burst" mode". This normally do the trick.

d6jg
2015-02-04, 11:28
Sorted now. It ripped ok in my Vortexbox.