PDA

View Full Version : High-end, low-cost hardware player

mbonsack
2015-01-31, 11:06
A prominent post in the last two days mentioned this:

> The driver is designed to work with Triode's SoA project, it is currently already working with SoA.

SO....that got me thinking. What would the reason be for not being able to design, and discuss here, a high-end, low-cost hardware player (along the lines of Picoplayer)? All people seem to want is a good player/DAC in a Squeezebox touch-like enclosure that has 2015-level audio performance in the digital and analog domain, that works with LMS.

Can we continue that kind of discussion here?

-mark

markiii
2015-01-31, 15:00
I think the issue is it can be designed and discussed just not with any implication that it's a part of or in any way related to the community squeeze project

dasmueller
2015-01-31, 17:11
Or leaving "Squeeze" out of the discussion so it is not perceived in any way, shape or form w Logitech. That would make sense to me.

mbonsack
2015-01-31, 17:40
I think the issue is it can be designed and discussed just not with any implication that it's a part of or in any way related to the community squeeze project

So how did the full posting I drew from, in any way, shape, or form, reference those two taboo words? It sure got shut down mighty fast, and that's what I don't get. The hardware project, since mid-April, divorced itself from that hot-potato, and a bit later the project owner simply stated he could not devote cycles to it anymore. Then a couple of days ago he seemed to find someone who could help with a critical part of the software design to make the *hardware* work better. Then "Poof!" Gone again. Don't get it. You'd think we were discussing the building and deployment of a DIY nuclear warhead :-)

So -- if it's not part of the contested project, let's move it forward! If it is, let's resurrect the hard work folks have put into the hardware design and rework it if necessary for one of the Pico or other squeezeslave-type players.

skip_pack
2015-02-01, 11:01
I have been waiting for a number of years for a large (affordable) leap in performance from my SB3 > Opus DAC combination. Initially it looked like it would be a USB to I2S/SPDIF device that was in the works at Twisted Pear. That didn't come to fruition as (I suspect) new possibilities made each prospective design seem outmoded even before it could be released. Now Twisted Pear seams close to release of a cape for the BBB with sophisticated clocks and high quality connectivity.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/250583-building-open-embedded-audio-applicance.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/258254-support-botic-linux-driver.html

This would seem to be a real possibility to access via SoA and preserve the server/player architecture we prefer. This would likely be more costly than the 'lost' project, maybe borderline for me, but I am fairly confident it will be good stuff given my happy experience with Twisted Pear. Has anyone played with the Botic driver and SoA?

Skip

CommanderROR
2015-02-01, 11:34
Hmm.
I actually think we already have all the options we need. Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry DAC/Digi/Amp, running Picoreplayer and you're covered. The only problem I see right now is WiFi setup and maybe hardware volume control for the "Amp" version.
Wifi is a problem, because you have to set it up manually, either by editing files on a PC or by connecting to Ethernet and then doing setup via webinterface.
Oh, and the Server running on an Odroid U3 is fantastic. Raspberry Pu works as server, but it's a bit sluggish at times...

A small display and some buttons, and you'd have that solved, but adding that on top of everything else is not so easy. Also, fitting it all into some kind of case is not trivial either.

But one thing is even worse: as long as all this is DIY, and nobody builds a player like this and sells it in electronics stores, it will remain a niche product, and support for Streaming services and so on will be up to the community, which might or might not keep it alive. Without Triode, sbp and others the Squeezebox/LMS would have died ages ago.

skip_pack
2015-02-02, 10:20
Today's introduction of the Raspberry Pi 2 makes your points more interesting. The HifiBerry digi could serve well as an interim solution using my current dac. I'm not too concerned about a video interface on the player as I have been happy with the phone/wifi choices.

Skip

SlimChances
2015-02-02, 10:28
I understand that MS has just made a version of Windows 10 compatible with RPI ver 2.0 http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

adamdea
2015-02-02, 11:23
I understand that MS has just made a version of Windows 10 compatible with RPI ver 2.0 http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support
I'm a bit confused about what they mean by the "maker community". Can anyone get win 10 for RPi for free, or does it only apply if you are developing apps yourself?

SlimChances
2015-02-02, 11:29
I'm a bit confused about what they mean by the "maker community". Can anyone get win 10 for RPi for free, or does it only apply if you are developing apps yourself?

I think you have to join the community
https://www.windowsondevices.com/signup.aspx