PDA

View Full Version : Sad to hear Community Squeeze is ending

norderney
2015-01-31, 02:56
It is really sad to read that Community Squeeze is ending. Luckily my Transporter is still working ok but I am thinking I may need to look at hardware alternatives in case my Transporter should fail.
I doubt I will find any product with software that beats or even equals LMS. So sad really.
Slim Devices had such a great range of products. Way a head of the competition

CommanderROR
2015-01-31, 04:49
Luckily we have the Odroid U3 as a Server device (Max2Play Image) and the PiCorePlayer for Raspberry Pi with the Hifiberry DAC, Digi and Amp, so we have everything Sonos offers and more. Of course it's not quite as Plug and Play as a Sonos System, but it's worth the effort. I'm particularly fond of the Hifiberry Amp component, since it finally gives us a high-quality audio player that works with passive speakers and does not need many cables, a big advantage!
Ickstream is also here to take care of us in case Mysqueezebox.com really does shut down at some point. I hope they'll manage to improve their service and make it user-friendly.

Two things I currently miss are:

Decent cases for my PiCorePlayer devices. I have cobbled together some cases, but they are not pretty and not "safe" either. I'd really love to see more options in that regard. More and more are becoming available though, so I think this will eventually be solved. Especially the HiFiBerry Amp really needs a safe and secure case

The second thing is better support for streaming services, and this is where Sonos really shines. Michael does not add any new services to mysb.com anymore or implement any changes to existing plugins like Deezer. This is understandable. The 3rd Party Plugins are mostly OK, but they are usually cobbled together, using workarounds and unofficial APIs. In some cases this works really well, but it's not quite on the same level as Sonos Users can enjoy. In this area, I hope Ickstream will be able to help us out eventually. Their Deezer, Wimp and Qobuz plugins already work reasonably well, but there is still a lot of work left to do. I hope they manae to pull it off.
The main problem is surely, that APIs are often limited (like Google Play Music) or not publicly available at all. Spotify cut down the feature set of their API quite a bit to promote their "Spotify Connect" system, just as an example...

Well anyway, that's my take on the current situation. I don't think there is any need to throw out the SB System anytime soon with all the 3rd Party Hard and Software out there!

JJZolx
2015-01-31, 07:43
Three people do not make up the SB "community". It only takes one dick in a closely held project like that to fuck it up for the rest. I suspect, as usual, that money is involved. Of course, if someone wants to deny that, this is an open forum.

JackOfAll
2015-01-31, 08:32
It is really sad to read that Community Squeeze is ending.

And this is exactly why people are being asked to be quiet! You cannot end something that has already ended. "Community Squeeze" ended in April last year. It didn't end yesterday, regardless of what anyone may have led anyone else to believe!

The simple fact is a statement does need to be made and needs to be made by a lawyer now, and not a private individual. I respectfully ask people not to discuss this in any way, shape or form. The only thing that will result, if you don't respect this, is to make a bad situation, even worse!

JJZolx
2015-01-31, 08:41
I respectfully ask people not to discuss this in any way, shape or form.

Unless it's fully explained why, that's not very likely to happen.

What was John Swenson threatened with?

JackOfAll
2015-01-31, 09:53
Unless it's fully explained why, that's not very likely to happen.

Then fine! Ignore my polite request, continue speculating and people posting factually incorrect and misleading information, and see where that gets anyone!