PDA

View Full Version : What network design do I need to keep my 802.11 g squeezebox clients with n clients

MorrisMinah
2015-01-30, 22:40
Hi,

I have a squeezebox duet. I want to add new clients to the wireless network but nowadays these are typically 802.11 n. Obviously I don't want to start again with a 802.11.n wireless music solution

I am currently running an old D-link ADSL Modem/Wireless router to provide WAN and LAN facilities.

Can anyone tell me how I can set up separate wireless networks for squeezebox (g) and and other (n) clients? Obviously I'm going to need to buy a new router, but what is the best way to go. None of the proposed n clients are capable of dual band operation

I'm sure this must have come up before but I can't see it with a search.

Thanks

garym
2015-01-30, 22:55
Hi,

I have a squeezebox duet. I want to add new clients to the wireless network but nowadays these are typically 802.11 n. Obviously I don't want to start again with a 802.11.n wireless music solution

I am currently running an old D-link ADSL Modem/Wireless router to provide WAN and LAN facilities.

Can anyone tell me how I can set up separate wireless networks for squeezebox (g) and and other (n) clients? Obviously I'm going to need to buy a new router, but what is the best way to go. None of the proposed n clients are capable of dual band operation

I'm sure this must have come up before but I can't see it with a search.

Thanks

Why do you need to do anything special. All the 'n' routers I've looked at also work with g clients. One doesn't need 'g' and 'n' separate wifi networks. I have lots of 'n' wifi things connected to my network (iphones, ipads, laptops) but also use for my 'g' squeezeboxes. All works fine with no special settings. I use about a two year old netgear router.

MorrisMinah
2015-01-30, 23:01
Hi,

Yes, I agree that Duet works fine but the network will never work at n speed while g devices are connected (I think)

garym
2015-01-30, 23:06
Hi,

Yes, I agree that Duet works fine but the network will never work at n speed while g devices are connected (I think)

No, that's not correct. You're likely thinking about the old situation with 'b' and 'g' networks and if any 'b' devices were attached then that brought down the speed of the 'g' networked items. This is NOT true regarding 'g' and 'n' networks.

w3wilkes
2015-01-30, 23:26
garym is right on. I run Duets on my network with n devices and all work fine. Some of my n devices run paired channels with 300Mbps no problem right along side the g Duets that only use one of the paired channels @ 54Mbps speeds.

Mnyb
2015-01-31, 00:25
Yes you may also confused the matter with a modern 801.11ac router mine have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi so they apear as 2 different ssid ( but are the same network ) I choose to conect some stuff to the 5 ghz and some to the 2,4 ghz but they are both n networks . Only the 2,4ghz is backwards compatible to g .

STEVESPUR
2015-01-31, 21:05
Linked to this, i installed a new dual band ac wifi adapter on my pc yesterday and have a dual band router. However I have since realised that none of my Squeezebox devices (Touch, Radio, Duet) can see the LMS when the PC is on the 5 GHZ band. If i switch back to the 2GHZ only dongle then all my devices can see LMS.

Am I missing something / is there a way round this?

Thanks for any advice

Mnyb
2015-01-31, 21:36
Linked to this, i installed a new dual band ac wifi adapter on my pc yesterday and have a dual band router. However I have since realised that none of my Squeezebox devices (Touch, Radio, Duet) can see the LMS when the PC is on the 5 GHZ band. If i switch back to the 2GHZ only dongle then all my devices can see LMS.

Am I missing something / is there a way round this?

Thanks for any advice

For some reason your router have the two bands as two different networks .

Anyhow it's good practice to have a wired connection between LMS server and the network . But with ac wifi speeds it migth be less of a problem .

w3wilkes
2015-01-31, 23:14
As Mnyb says, you have some type network isolation from your 2.4 and 5Ghz networks. In my cabin I run exactly the way you talk about. My squeezebox server PC is 5Ghz to my DGND3700 router and my Duet receiver/controller are 2.4Ghz. This works just fine. Make sure that neither the 2.4 or 5Ghz networks are set as "guest networks". This would isolate devices on the guest network from being able to see other devices on the router.

MorrisMinah
2015-01-31, 23:16
Hi Mynb

I'm no expert but my understanding is that to use the 5GHz band you need to have a device that is designed to work at 5 GHz. I'm sure that the squeezeboxes won't be.

Mnyb
2015-01-31, 23:34
Hi Mynb

I'm no expert but my understanding is that to use the 5GHz band you need to have a device that is designed to work at 5 GHz. I'm sure that the squeezeboxes won't be.

No but the PC migth support it and it should work just fine .

My iPad is on 5gHz and I have no problem using it as a controller .

garym
2015-02-01, 01:11
No but the PC migth support it and it should work just fine .

My iPad is on 5gHz and I have no problem using it as a controller .

Agree. My ipad and iPhone are connected to the 5G wifi of my router, and I control squeezebox players from these iThings.

d6jg
2015-02-03, 10:34
Personally I'd get the best available "n" router and use ethernet (or a A/V homeplug) to connect my Duet

STEVESPUR
2015-02-04, 22:42
Thanks to alll for your replies.

Am realising this may be in the wrong thread, as the Dual Band doesn't connect with any of my SB devices - Duet, Touch or Radio, and the Radio + Touch are N band I think?

Mnyb
2015-02-04, 22:44

Am realising this may be in the wrong thread, as the Dual Band doesn't connect with any of my SB devices - Duet, Touch or Radio, and the Radio + Touch are N band I think?

No squeezebox is n band , the ones you have are all g band .

w3wilkes
2015-02-05, 22:59
And all this time I thought 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz were bands. I thought n was a protocol that was implemented on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands allowing up to 150Mbps on a single band channel or 300Mbps on paired channels in a band, where g protocol is only implemented on the 2.4Ghz band with 54Mbps on a single channel. I also thought that all Logitech Squeeze products were restricted to 2.4Ghz band and g protocol.

toby10
2015-02-06, 02:09

Depending on your router type, you may need to select N+G and/or click to allow dual band operation. I assure you, if configured correctly, any N router will work with G devices.

Mnyb
2015-02-06, 02:12
And all this time I thought 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz were bands. I thought n was a protocol that was implemented on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands allowing up to 150Mbps on a single band channel or 300Mbps on paired channels in a band, where g protocol is only implemented on the 2.4Ghz band with 54Mbps on a single channel. I also thought that all Logitech Squeeze products were restricted to 2.4Ghz band and g protocol.

Yes

Depending on your router type, you may need to select N+G and/or click to allow dual band operation. I assure you, if configured correctly, any N router will work with G devices.

Yes

Thats exactly how my router works 5ghz N +ac 2,4Ghz N+G the wifi squeezeboxes are on 2,4gHz . Half of my squeezeboxes are wired anyway , so just use all 3 possible conections where apropriate .

RonM
2015-02-12, 11:49
I have an Asus dual band router. Some devices are built to use only 2.4ghz, others to use either 2.4 or 5. All of my wireless Squeeze devices use only 2.4ghz. However, that does not mean that my tablet or phone, which can use 5ghz, can't be used to control them. The tablet and phone are NOT speaking directly to the Squeeze devices, but run through the router. Router to phone/tablet on the 5g band, router to squeeze-things via 2.4g. No problem.