Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raindog911
    • Jan 2015

ReadyNAS and FLAC 96kHz

I had over 15K titles ripped on WMA lossless. When I moved my LMS from Windows to the ReadyNAS 104 (OS 6 / ARM), I converted to FLAC and upsampled to 96kHz. At the time, I wasn't aware that due to real time conversion back to 44.1K to serving music to my 5 slim devices, 96kHz would cause problems.

The issue causes an error message to show on every slim device when attempting to play a song "Problem: Can't open file for: filename"

On non-ReadyNAS platforms, FLAC.EXE needed to be installed to make this work. Is this file/functionality available for the ReadyNAS? If so, what is the best way to load a specific file onto the correct location in the ReadyNAS (the GUI doesn't seem to have a simple file explorer).

Thank you in advance.
  • chrissy
    • Jun 2011

Hi

Usually lms comes with flac already compiled on linux platforms. Somtimes there maybe a problem with the linkerloader so running flac from the commandline gives a simple "file not found" as a response. To find out if this is the case, ssh onto your readynas cd towhereverlmsisinstalled/bin and type ./flac.

But this is only used to transcode into flac, as far as I remember. Squeezeboxes usually have native flac support.

Greets
    Chris
    Last edited by chrissy; 2015-01-27, 15:47.
    Raspi 4 as server for various things besides lms
    Raspi 3 feeding a SPL Phonitor xe for headphones
    Minidsp shd running squeezelite feeding a poweramp and a pair of Nubert nuvero 70 and 2 elac Sub 2070
    2 Squeezebox Radios (kitchen and bath)
    Nubert NuPro A200, AW350 Sub , raspi 3 with hifiberry digi+ for the bedroom
    raspi A with M2Tech HiFace usb dac and JBL Control 1 for the balcony :-)

Comment

• Mnyb
      • Feb 2006

What kind of ready NAS ? not the old DUO i hope (because it cant transcode not enough cpu/memory ) ?

What kind of squeezebox do you have it's only the Touch or transporter that supports 24/96 natively . If you have one of those and it still tries to resample you got some settings wrong .

Dou you have the original WMA lossles files as backup what’s the origianl sample rate on those if 16/44.1 just make yourself new flac files with the original resolution ,there is simply no point in up-sampling them , just a vaste of storage and cpu cyckles ?
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
      Bedroom/Office: Boom
      Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
      Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
      iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
      (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
      server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• raindog911
        • Jan 2015

Thanks for the replies. I have two Squeezebox 2, two SB Receivers and a SqueezeBoom. The ReadyNAS is a new 104 with OS 6 on the ARM platform (I think I have that right...)

I'm a total noob to linux command line so that is actually more challenging than it should be unless someone was to write hand-holding instructions.

I didn't save the WMA files but I probably could re-convert FLAC 96kHz back down to 44.1kHz. I really wanted to avoid this but it seems like this makes the most sense. It is going to take days and days to do this.

I'll do one and see how it goes.

I'm willing to try anything else you guys can suggest.

Comment

• Mnyb
          • Feb 2006

Hopefully someone know about the 104 readynas and can assist . What is the LMS version ?

Even if you can get the transcoding to work it still not a good idea to have NAS transcode all,the time .
          (Your squeezeboxes supports 24/48 btw and that the rate used by the transcoding in your case)
          And the network load will be higher with higher samplerate files .

Pity you did not have the original CD rips around if down convert back you would not end up with the original rip . Both the upsampling and downsampling alters the data slightly , just so you know . You no longer have bitperfect copies of your songs .

Backup are esential its a lot of work to rerip ones discs and redownload all purchases .... :/

If your going to rerip the CD's suggest using dBpoweramp or EAC

There are fellows that upsample cd material , but they have players supporting 24/96 or more and usually some very special DAC connected that migth need it. But they never touch the original files .
          You can make special rules that makes LMS upsample on the fly .
          IMO this does not really makes sense either for a lot of reasons , but that's another topic
          Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Comment

• raindog911
            • Jan 2015

That is great advice. Thank you.

I did a test and down-sampled to 44.1K and the files played fine. I'll convert all my music back to that format for temporary use.

I was planning to re-rip and archive my CDs regardless. What is a good ripping program for the Apple OS X that will output FLAC?

Also, what is the preferred / standard sampling rate for FLAC files. Should I use 48kHz or the redbook standard of 44.1kHz.

Comment

• garym
              • May 2008

Originally posted by raindog911

I did a test and down-sampled to 44.1K and the files played fine. I'll convert all my music back to that format for temporary use.

I was planning to re-rip and archive my CDs regardless. What is a good ripping program for the Apple OS X that will output FLAC?

Also, what is the preferred / standard sampling rate for FLAC files. Should I use 48kHz or the redbook standard of 44.1kHz.
              Use redbook 16/44.1 for sure. Dbpoweramp has a beta for OSX. I use the windows version. Outstanding program.
              Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
              Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
              Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
              The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
              Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
              Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Mnyb
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by raindog911

The original sample rate ofcourse CD's are 16/44.1 just keep it that way .

If you rip something else like a music dvd or dvda , use the native sample rate of that source for example 24/96.

And backup the originals !

If you need other sample rates or mp3 copies for portable use make copies instead

Comment

Working...