PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox dead or still going strong elsewhere?

Justme
2015-01-17, 06:11
Well, I have been plodding along with my Squeezeboxes for many years now. A SB2, Radio and Boom, all on the server software used here (not the new one from Logitech).

Generally speaking, I have always been rather happy, as the devices cover the main bases I require:

* Internet radio - with 6 presets on the front of the Boom (It is surprising how hard that is to find).
* Access to my extensive music library from the NAS (and access from all devices either separately or synced together).
* Spotify access (although this is a tad limited and not very well integrated).
* Control via the iPad (I use iPeng).

I love it, but there are a couple of issues:

* I get odd buffering problems with the radio, which shouldn't be as I have a 50mb line and can happily stream live HD TV at 3600kbps from other countries, or Netflix 1080p at 6000kbps*.
* My old SB2 is about to give up the ghost.

The second problem is where I consider it all quite serious. I would like to replace this, but am I correct that Logitech do not make the Squeezebox range any more?
* One of the reasons I never switched over to the new firmware and server was because of my SB2, but if I did find a modern replacement, would I be better off switching over?

The problem is, I never see any real alternatives on the market out there that has everything the Squeezebox's had.
A lot of people talk about Sonos, but they don't seem to have a Boom with the presets that work so well with Internet Radio, not something simple like the SB2 with a nice display showing what is currently playing.
Is there anything out there that compares to Logitech's Squeezebox ecosystem with the features I need?

By the way, I've been with the Squeezebox for nearly 10 years, and if I could, I'd rather stay :)

(Oh, and finally, I would have loved the Squeezebox to accept AirPlay - but I know this can't happen)

Apesbrain
2015-01-17, 06:47
Yes, Logitech has discontinued the Squeezebox line but it still lives. Search the forum for "squeezebox replacement". Squeeze on Arch and piCorePlayer come right up. (SqueezePlug is another.) All run on small, Raspberry Pi-format computers that can easily be assembled for under $100. Typically without display but you control via smartphone, tablet or another computer. Used Squeezeboxes remain somewhat plentiful on eBay and it seems prices have now returned to a reasonable range.

callesoroe
2015-01-18, 04:47
Well, I have been plodding along with my Squeezeboxes for many years now. A SB2, Radio and Boom, all on the server software used here (not the new one from Logitech).

Generally speaking, I have always been rather happy, as the devices cover the main bases I require:

* Internet radio - with 6 presets on the front of the Boom (It is surprising how hard that is to find).
* Access to my extensive music library from the NAS (and access from all devices either separately or synced together).
* Spotify access (although this is a tad limited and not very well integrated).
* Control via the iPad (I use iPeng).

I love it, but there are a couple of issues:

* I get odd buffering problems with the radio, which shouldn't be as I have a 50mb line and can happily stream live HD TV at 3600kbps from other countries, or Netflix 1080p at 6000kbps*.
* My old SB2 is about to give up the ghost.

The second problem is where I consider it all quite serious. I would like to replace this, but am I correct that Logitech do not make the Squeezebox range any more?
* One of the reasons I never switched over to the new firmware and server was because of my SB2, but if I did find a modern replacement, would I be better off switching over?

The problem is, I never see any real alternatives on the market out there that has everything the Squeezebox's had.
A lot of people talk about Sonos, but they don't seem to have a Boom with the presets that work so well with Internet Radio, not something simple like the SB2 with a nice display showing what is currently playing.
Is there anything out there that compares to Logitech's Squeezebox ecosystem with the features I need?

By the way, I've been with the Squeezebox for nearly 10 years, and if I could, I'd rather stay :)

(Oh, and finally, I would have loved the Squeezebox to accept AirPlay - but I know this can't happen)

As for rebuffering. Try to set streaming through PROXY. This helps in many cases. I can stream wimp-hifi (flac streaming) without any rebuffering. Also wireless.17174