PDA

View Full Version : Joined the ship - Hi everyone - some questions

Esel2k
2015-01-15, 03:56
Hi everyone

Instead of leaving the ship as many do, I joined it.

Why?
I played for the last 3 years with Upnp, MPD on Popcornhours, Rpi, Pogoplug and became sick of spending hours and hours and the WAF was way to low to be ever accepted:). I wanted an affordable multiroom players that just work out of the box, that can be plugged on any speaker, with a community behind it (= no brand slavery), nice display and a good remote.

Bought 2 Classic 1 Touch on ebay total of around 350 USD (160USD Touch, 120USD Classic, 70USD Classic). Attached them to my speakers and everything is working. Server is a ION330 for the moment. Maybe switch to a Pogoplug later on for power savings.
Main usage: My library + internet radio.

Beginners question:

1) Is there an advantage to have the LMS on a Windows device instead of a small Unix device? More plugin / more stable on one of the two?
2) Whats the best thing to discover new music? Lets say tell a genre and it will just play songs and I can like or dislike. I often use grooveshark at work. I don't need that often. Alternatively would be: A shuffle mode for internetradio of a specific genre. Click next if I dont like. Does it exist?
3) If I hear a song that I like on internetradio, is there a way to save that or mark it somewhere (via Last.fm or shazam or anything)?
4) I am a bit lost with the different internetradio providers. There is one built in, there is one after login to mysqueezebox and there are apps? WHats the way to go there?
5) I have a big collection (500GB) and a regular use collection (80GB of songs). How can I use both / shuffle in both? Two servers needed?
6) How can I participate in the community? (As a swiss I could go by with a cake and ask them to keep it alive every month:P)...

cheers and thank you

mherger
2015-01-15, 04:13
> 1) Is there an advantage to have the LMS on a Windows device instead of
> a small Unix device? More plugin / more stable on one of the two?

If you have the choice, then stick with Linux. LMS is written in Perl -
which just doesn't feel at home on Windows. But performance wise you
can't compare your Windows desktop computer with a pogoplug...

> 2) Whats the best thing to discover new music? Lets say tell a genre and
> it will just play songs and I can like or dislike. I often use
> grooveshark at work. I don't need that often. Alternatively would be: A
> shuffle mode for internetradio of a specific genre. Click next if I dont
> like. Does it exist?

That's a good question. You could use Deezer or Spotify to listen to
music you don't own. Then add my SmartMix plugin to the mix to get some
automated mixes based on stuff you might like. But there's no thumbs
up/down yet.

> 3) If I hear a song that I like on internetradio, is there a way to save
> that or mark it somewhere (via Last.fm or shazam or anything)?

Configure the Audioscrobbler plugin (Settings/Advanced/Audioscrobbler)
with your Last.fm account.

> 4) I am a bit lost with the different internetradio providers. There is
> one built in, there is one after login to mysqueezebox and there are
> apps? WHats the way to go there?

There's a station list built in. It's TuneIn's directory of radio
stations. Very extensive.

The mysqueezebox.com account you'd need if you wanted to add
apps/services provided by mysqueezebox.com, like eg. aforementioned
Deezer. There's also a TuneIn app, which adds the option to enter your
TuneIn account (if you happened to have one) to list your TuneIn
favorites in the Radios menu.

> 5) I have a big collection (500GB) and a regular use collection (80GB of
> songs). How can I use both / shuffle in both? Two servers needed?

And the regular use collection isn't a sub-set of the big collection?
Aren't they both accessible to your LMS? You can define more than one
music folder.

> 6) How can I participate in the community? (As a swiss I could go by
> with a cake and ask them to keep it alive every month:P)...

Don't waste your cake at the Lausanne offices. Decision makers are
sitting in the US anyway. I'm working on the Aare riverside ;-).

You've already started participating in the community. If you want to be
more than a lurker asking some questions every now and then, try helping
other users (once you know the system good enough). Get your hands dirty
and write that plugin you couldn't find. Come up with an improved
desktop UI for LMS. And don't forget that cake.

--

Michael

get.amped
2015-01-15, 08:38
5) I have a big collection (500GB) and a regular use collection (80GB of songs). How can I use both / shuffle in both? Two servers needed?

Not a big collection, at least not here. Big is in the multi-terabyte/300K+ tracks range. No reason to keep them separate from an LMS standpoint. There are a number of ways to navigate subsets of the whole library including Erland's multi-library plugin, the additional browse modes plugin and the built-in multi-library feature that you can use to create your own sub-library definition if you are willing to hack some Perl.

garym
2015-01-15, 09:49
Not a big collection, at least not here. Big is in the multi-terabyte/300K+ tracks range. No reason to keep them separate from an LMS standpoint. There are a number of ways to navigate subsets of the whole library including Erland's multi-library plugin, the additional browse modes plugin and the built-in multi-library feature that you can use to create your own sub-library definition if you are willing to hack some Perl.

And for example, I have a FLAC library, I have mp3s created from those flac files (so they are duplicates), and I have mp3/m4a files that I *only* have in that format. I'm able to use a simple directory structure that ultimately allows the LMS to only see the FLAC and unique lossy files, but also allows itunes to see my lossy copies from FLaC and the unique lossy for use in my iThings. So there are lots of ways to keep track of libraries that will work well with LMS and other music database needs.

mherger
2015-01-15, 10:07
> And for example, I have a FLAC library, I have mp3s created from those
> flac files (so they are duplicates), and I have mp3/m4a files that I
> *only* have in that format. I'm able to use a simple directory structure
> that ultimately allows the LMS to only see the FLAC and unique lossy
> files, but also allows itunes to see my lossy copies from FLaC and the
> unique lossy for use in my iThings. So there are lots of ways to keep
> track of libraries that will work well with LMS and other music database
> needs.

....and then there's the library view definition in 7.9 which would hide
lossy duplicates if there was a lossless version available ;-).

--

Michael

Esel2k
2015-01-17, 07:40

Thank you. No my point was not to compare who has the bigger one;). Just that I have two different ones. An scrolling trough hundred of artists with the squeezebox classic is a pain.
I will looking in the Erlands plugin. I have one that is collection of all songs from everyone I could collect. The idea is once in a while to connect there and play with shuffle to discover new albums or artists that I did not know before.

Maybe the last 2 questions to start with:
1) On the logitech homepage I downloaded the LMS 7.7.5.
There is a 7.8 and a 7.9 out. Seems that 7.9 is the community one and 7.8 somehow the final one?
I looked in wikis, but could get the full understanding of this difference. You can also link a thread if easier. thank you

2) Is there a recommendation to keep older firmwares or always update? I just think the classic are at the performance limit and i dont need new plugins/additional services running, that will just make them slow. Shall I update them or better not?

get.amped
2015-01-17, 08:03
...scrolling trough hundred of artists with the squeezebox classic is a pain.

True. But almost no one actually does that. It's *much* easier to use either the web interface or an app on a tablet or phone to browse and select items. I have a SB3 and a Boom and only ever use the remote to pause or resume what's playing if it happens to be the most convenient method at the time (rarely the case).

... I have one that is collection of all songs from everyone I could collect. The idea is once in a while to connect there and play with shuffle to discover new albums or artists that I did not know before.

Depending on how you have tagged your files and configure LMS, you can have two (more) different lists of Artists/Contributors. I have an Album Artists lists with only those artists who have their own albums and an All Artists list that includes everyone, including those that only appear on compilation albums. Even at that, both lists are large: over 7,000 album artists and nearly 22,000 artists including those on compilations. Not conducive to browsing by scrolling through lists of artist names.

So I use other methods for "discovering" music. The Playlist Generator plugin is an excellent way to get a directed mix, as is the Smartmix plugin. And the Random Album plugin just gives you a page of random albums to choose from, a nice way to not be overwhelmed with choices.

Maybe the last 2 questions to start with:
1) On the logitech homepage I downloaded the LMS 7.7.5.
There is a 7.8 and a 7.9 out. Seems that 7.9 is the community one and 7.8 somehow the final one?
I looked in wikis, but could get the full understanding of this difference. You can also link a thread if easier. thank you

2) Is there a recommendation to keep older firmwares or always update? I just think the classic are at the performance limit and i dont need new plugins/additional services running, that will just make them slow. Shall I update them or better not?

There are many threads about the different versions and what to expect from them. A brief summary is:

7.7.5 is the official Logitech release

7.8 is a stable community release with some additional functionality.

7.9 is a community release with ongoing development. It has a lot of additional functionality but is also less stable due to the ongoing changes. I use various nightly builds of 7.9 and have been very satisfied with its stability and performance. For libraries greater than 50K tracks on systems with more than 2GB of RAM it's the only way to go from a performance standpoint.

The latest firmware for the SB3 comes with the official release, so you already have it. Plugins and other LMS functionality runs on the server, not the player.

Enjoy the music!

kidstypike
2015-01-17, 08:29
scrolling trough hundred of artists with the squeezebox classic is a pain.

When in a list you can use the number buttons on the remote to jump to any letter. Say you want Eric Clapton, pressing the "3" button twice (in the Artist list) will jump to artists beginning with "E", for ZZ Top press the "9" button 4 times etc..

d6jg
2015-01-17, 12:44
Investigate control via smartphone or tablet. Scrolling is much much faster / simpler.
What software app to use depends on the flavour of your smartphone / tablet.

Apple - iPeng
Android - Orange Squeeze / Squeeze Control

There are others.