PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young's After the Goldrush in 192/24

tmauceri
2015-01-10, 12:34
I was most excited today when I went to the Pono Music Store and found I could finally purchase some HiRez FLAC files. I purchased After The Gold Rush 192/24 (NYA official Release Series 03). I loaded it on my server and que'd it up. Sonically it is much superior to my 44/16 version but I was dissapointed to hear clics and surface nose similar to an LP. Was this encoded digitally from an LP or was the master tape in bad shape? Anyone have a similar experiance with this tittle? I've purchased many HiRez Albums fron HD Tracks and have not come accross this problem.

jfo
2015-01-11, 12:08
I was most excited today when I went to the Pono Music Store and found I could finally purchase some HiRez FLAC files. I purchased After The Gold Rush 192/24 (NYA official Release Series 03). I loaded it on my server and que'd it up. Sonically it is much superior to my 44/16 version but I was dissapointed to hear clics and surface nose similar to an LP. Was this encoded digitally from an LP or was the master tape in bad shape? Anyone have a similar experiance with this tittle? I've purchased many HiRez Albums fron HD Tracks and have not come accross this problem.

All of these albums are going to be upsampled versions of the original non-hi res recordings. This does not unfortunately, make them truly hi resolution. Pono has I believe also stated they are not in the remastering business, so they take whatever the label's give them. The overwhelming majority of the albums will be from non-hi res originals. Neil's material may be remastered versions and may sound different/better as a result. The original recording however is still not hi-res however, and neither is the upsampled new release.
As to your noise question, I don't have the new release but very much doubt it should contain any noise. I would get another copy.