PDA

View Full Version : Is the Sun Setting on Squeezebox...?

DanSmedra
2015-01-10, 11:56
I've been user and fan of Logitech Squeezebox products for several years. This community has worked endless hours to keep Squeezebox viable.

However, with the growing integration of the DTS Play-FiŽ ecosystem in audiophile-level equipment is Squeezebox about squeezed out?

jvandervort
2015-01-10, 12:13
http://www.techhive.com/article/2856180/dts-takes-on-sonos-we-go-ears-on-with-three-play-fi-multi-room-audio-devices.html

Seems like there are too many glitches as yet.

Recoveryone
2015-01-10, 12:53
only when you phase it out of your system. I still feel its the stapel/benchmark that all other "DAR's" will be compared to.

jeremy
2015-01-11, 05:06
I've been user and fan of Logitech Squeezebox products for several years. This community has worked endless hours to keep Squeezebox viable.

However, with the growing integration of the DTS Play-FiŽ ecosystem in audiophile-level equipment is Squeezebox about squeezed out?

No I don't think the sun is setting. The server software is now mature / glitch free, there are new low powered server solutions like the Pi / Odroid and home brew audiophile level players like the Pi/DAC/PicorePlayer coming along at regular intervals. I really cannot see myself changing in the next 10 years and would happily recommend the Squeezebox ecosystem to a newcomer who doesn't have the investment in players etc that I have

castalla
2015-01-11, 05:56
No I don't think the sun is setting. The server software is now mature / glitch free, there are new low powered server solutions like the Pi / Odroid and home brew audiophile level players like the Pi/DAC/PicorePlayer coming along at regular intervals. I really cannot see myself changing in the next 10 years and would happily recommend the Squeezebox ecosystem to a newcomer who doesn't have the investment in players etc that I have

It gets better - with the new squeeze2upnp program you can use many upnp devices as squeezeboxes (even including Sonos speakers)

sander
2015-01-11, 11:50
Hardcore audiophiles is only one of the niches that the Squeezosphere incorporates. I doubt there will ever be one product which will replace Squeezebox across the whole spectrum.

Fizbin
2015-01-12, 00:29
Unless some company like Oppo releases a similar, updated SBT style unit, then I won't be jumping ship...cause there's currently no ship to jump.