PDA

View Full Version : Players to replace the Squeezeboxes? Scared after a storm took out my devices

sksahai
2015-01-06, 19:30
Hello,
As with others, I have experienced the agony and the ecstasy of being part of the squeezebox family. I have two Duets, two Touches and one Squeezebox Radio. The players are hooked up to amps/av receivers in their respective rooms. I finally have a system that works well on LMS 7.8

Two days ago, we had a lightning storm and despite having a whole house surge protector, and individual surge protectors in the home, we had a power fluctuation (brown out). It knocked out/killed my gigabit switch in the master wiring closet, and sent a surge down the ethernet line to one of my Touches. The ethernet port on that Touch is now dead, the device does not recognize an ethernet line plugged into it (but connects over wifi). That same brown out took out an audiosource amp 100 attached to the same damaged Touch (powers on, but no sound from speaker, ethernet damaged touch works fine). The radio was dead too, but I was able to revive it by doing the + button and plug in factory reset thing.

This episode has scared me. What do I do to replace a player that dies? The LMS is on my WHS 2011 box, and holds close to 600 GB of music.

I have looked at all the rasberry pi stuff and other things, but I need devices to replace and expand my netowrk that meest the all crucial WAF "Wife Acceptance Factor"

The Duets and Touches are easy, 1. Turn on AV Receiver 2. Aim Remote/Touch screen 3. Hit play

Are their 3rd party hardware solutions that look good, and can be used if a player dies? I searched ebay USA for Joggler devices, but they are no longer to be found.

Does someone offer a service to build these devices (rasberry pi, etc) with touch screens in attractive boxes? I'd be happy to pay someone to do that for me.

philippe_44
2015-01-06, 22:29
Hello,
As with others, I have experienced the agony and the ecstasy of being part of the squeezebox family. I have two Duets, two Touches and one Squeezebox Radio. The players are hooked up to amps/av receivers in their respective rooms. I finally have a system that works well on LMS 7.8

Two days ago, we had a lightning storm and despite having a whole house surge protector, and individual surge protectors in the home, we had a power fluctuation (brown out). It knocked out/killed my gigabit switch in the master wiring closet, and sent a surge down the ethernet line to one of my Touches. The ethernet port on that Touch is now dead, the device does not recognize an ethernet line plugged into it (but connects over wifi). That same brown out took out an audiosource amp 100 attached to the same damaged Touch (powers on, but no sound from speaker, ethernet damaged touch works fine). The radio was dead too, but I was able to revive it by doing the + button and plug in factory reset thing.

This episode has scared me. What do I do to replace a player that dies? The LMS is on my WHS 2011 box, and holds close to 600 GB of music.

I have looked at all the rasberry pi stuff and other things, but I need devices to replace and expand my netowrk that meest the all crucial WAF "Wife Acceptance Factor"

The Duets and Touches are easy, 1. Turn on AV Receiver 2. Aim Remote/Touch screen 3. Hit play

Are their 3rd party hardware solutions that look good, and can be used if a player dies? I searched ebay USA for Joggler devices, but they are no longer to be found.

Does someone offer a service to build these devices (rasberry pi, etc) with touch screens in attractive boxes? I'd be happy to pay someone to do that for me.

Why not cut the problem again in 2 and use one of these many cheap Android-based tablets to control either a raspbi or a upnp device ? Or continue using the remote of the duet ? Wouldn't that meet the WAF ?

DonJulien
2015-01-07, 20:47
Since I jumped into the squeezewagon just about when Logitech pulled the cord (and they never really had much distribution here in Mexico anyway) I had to deal with this issue since its inception.

I bought Android boxes. Specifically, I bought one Minix X5 per TV set (http://www.minix.com.hk). There are plenty of options from many brands , take a look at dx.com. These are actual set top boxes designed to lay on a bookshelf (or in my case, velcroed to the back of the TV), have a real HDMI output (plus analog 3.5mm audio/video out and optical audio out), a real power supply, and an ethernet port. I'm using Tasker to autorun Squeezeplayer on startup. This, plus a Mac Mini as LMS+player (with a nice DAC hooked to it), iPeng for iOS (wife) devices, and the WAF is met.
It takes some tinkering, but it can be done. I wanted a touch screen in the beginning (or a screen, for that matter) but we found that since we always have our phone or a tablet at hand, nothing else was needed.

c2r
2015-01-08, 11:50
Raspberry Pis around the house with controller app for iphone or android should pass the acceptance factor...

alexandali
2015-01-10, 05:59
Hello,

I've been building Raspberry Pi based SB players for my friends for some time now. They come in an attractive black box that meets 'WAF' expectations and I can't hear any difference in sound from my 'duets'. I've built about a dozen of them over the past few months, and they're all working fine. Control is usually from a smartphone or tablet - Apple or Android. PM me if you want some more details

village_person
2015-01-11, 08:06
I thought I'd jump in on this thread because my more or less antique Squeezebox 2 just died, which was my only Squeeze product, and I've loved it well. I've been running the server off a QNAP NAS drive that the SB accesses by WiFi. The SB connects to my amp via a DAC connected by an optical cable. I don't see the point of buying a SB from EBay, when the product is dead. I looked at the Raspberry Pi, but the problem there is that I need to put together the basic board, WiFi and add another board from a 3rd party to get an optical out. That's no longer dirt cheap and is more complicated than I'd prefer. Googling around I found the CUBOX, which seems as if it might offer something more like a right-out-of-the box solution. (http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox-i-mini-computer/). They say it will run LMS, which would probably be faster than having the server running on the NAS, which is pretty low power and it can also act as a video server. I searched the forums here for discussion of the CUBOX but didn't find anything. Anyone have any opinions on it, or on other options to replace the SB? Thanks.

d6jg
2015-01-11, 09:49
That's essentially an Android TV box. The Amazon Fire TV is cheaper and arguably has better specs.

village_person
2015-01-11, 15:16
That's essentially an Android TV box. The Amazon Fire TV is cheaper and arguably has better specs.

The specs are fairly similar - the difference is that I'd be running some version of UNIX on the Cubox, which will make it much more flexible.

sksahai
2015-01-11, 17:40

So could I easily download the required programs to an android TV box and do what I need?

castalla
2015-01-11, 17:53
So could I easily download the required programs to an android TV box and do what I need?

Yes but you'd need a tv-box for each amp and also a way to hook up the box to a TV (at least for setup) - sounds hideously overcomplicated compared to using a raspi with picoreplayer attached to each amp and controlled via a smartphone app or squeezeplay on Windows.

alexandali
2015-01-11, 18:08
I thought I'd jump in on this thread because my more or less antique Squeezebox 2 just died, which was my only Squeeze product, and I've loved it well. I've been running the server off a QNAP NAS drive that the SB accesses by WiFi. The SB connects to my amp via a DAC connected by an optical cable. I don't see the point of buying a SB from EBay, when the product is dead. I looked at the Raspberry Pi, but the problem there is that I need to put together the basic board, WiFi and add another board from a 3rd party to get an optical out. That's no longer dirt cheap and is more complicated than I'd prefer. Googling around I found the CUBOX, which seems as if it might offer something more like a right-out-of-the box solution. (http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox-i-mini-computer/). They say it will run LMS, which would probably be faster than having the server running on the NAS, which is pretty low power and it can also act as a video server. I searched the forums here for discussion of the CUBOX but didn't find anything. Anyone have any opinions on it, or on other options to replace the SB? Thanks.

Hi Village Person - afraid I can't really comment on the Cubox as I haven't tried one - and I haven't noticed any packaged systems that run on it. I have a Wandboard running SOA (Squeeze on Arch) that works well, it does have an optical audio out and SOA does have a setting for SPDIF but I haven't tried it yet - I've been using it with an external USB DAC on my office system. I have found that the Raspberry Pi with an add-on DAC enclosed in a box running picoreplayer provides a cheaper but good quality solution - using phono out directly into the amplifier. It's also a tidy solution with easy setup.

d6jg
2015-01-12, 15:10
What you should take from this thread is that there are loads of options for alternate players. It's just a case of finding what suits you the best!

sksahai
2015-01-14, 20:16
Thanks everyone!

I guess that I was hooked on using a remote or touch screen to control the device, never really thought of my phone. I have iPeng and found it a bit slow to access my system, but that was before I increased the RAM on my HP 54l from 2 to 8 GB.

Definitely food for thought.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

sksahai
2015-01-16, 11:12
Just to add to this thread, I was wondering what the thoughts were in terms of sound quality between an android TV box with digital outs vs rasperry pi + DAC +PiCoreplayer?

From my analysis: Raberry Pi B+ $40 HiFi berry Case USD $23 + HiFi Digi+ USD $37 + shipping: $100 dollars

A basic android box with optical out on USA amazon runs about $90 to 100.

I have AV receivers in each room where I would want the music, hooked up to TVs, so I think the level of pain would be the same.

If I am correct, and I use optical outs, the receiver is responsible for the decoding, not the device itself?