PDA

View Full Version : Google starts Google Cast for Audio

wortgefecht
2015-01-05, 10:42
Google has announced Google Cast for audio. This integrates the same tech behind Chromecast into speakers, soundbars, and A/V receivers to let you cast your music from Android, iOS, and the web. First hardware partners for speakers are Sony, LG and Denon.

http://chrome.blogspot.ch/2015/01/introducing-google-cast-for-audio.html
http://www.google.com/castaudio/

Would be nice, if any of the LMS apps for mobile devices could support this in the future. That would open up a whole new range of hardware for us :)

wortgefecht
2015-01-05, 10:59
frist

Yes?

poing
2015-01-05, 15:17
So my reading is this is essentially the same thing as audio over a Chromecast except that you don't need a dongle that's connected to an HDMI port. Devices have the cast-receiving ability built-in. So certain devices which typically come without HDMI (e.g., some compact/portable speakers) function with Google Cast for Audio.

This isn't really a cool, innovative, brand-new idea. This is basically a function for those who are incapable of doing anything without an app that works out-of-the-box. To work with Google Cast for Audio, your device essentially needs to contain a small computer. Think of current AVRs. Hifiberries. WLAN speakers. Etc.

wortgefecht
2015-01-05, 18:14
So my reading is this is essentially the same thing as audio over a Chromecast except that you don't need a dongle that's connected to an HDMI port. Devices have the cast-receiving ability built-in.

Exactly.

This is basically a function for those who are incapable of doing anything without an app that works out-of-the-box. To work with Google Cast for Audio, your device essentially needs to contain a small computer. Think of current AVRs. Hifiberries. WLAN speakers. Etc.

Exactly. Again. Not everyone feels comfortable with building/setting up their own Raspberry Pi/ODROID/Wandboard/you name it device. So, essentially, if some of the Squeezebox apps out there--or even LMS itself,as a matter of fact--start to support the Chromecast/Cast for audio protocol, these people would get ootb devices for streaming via LMS. If Cast for audio will be as successful as the Chromecast, I'm pretty sure, that we'll see some Cast for audio ready AVRs soon, too.

So, from the point of view of a LMS/Squeezebox user, what's not to like?

poing
2015-01-06, 00:45
So, from the point of view of a LMS/Squeezebox user, what's not to like?
If you already have a squeezebox system running, what do you need it for?

It's just another streaming protocol. It seems to have fewer features than competing solutions (LMS, AirPlay). E.g., it doesn't work without an internet connection. It's really just a product for Google fanbois as well as brain-dead users which cannot do anything without an "app" that works OOTB.

CommanderROR
2015-01-09, 16:54
Well, I would carefully disagree.
This Google Audio Cast might actually be a great thing, because it would make things easier for Software devs, Hardware builders and consumers...at least if it works the way I think it does.
The best usecase would be, IMHO, to create a small box with Wifi, a low-power SoC, good DAC and standard connectors, so, Analogue, Digital Coax and Optical. This little box would then enanble any active speakers, amp or compact hifi device to act as a Google Audio Cast device.
Now, streaming services like Wimp, Qobuz, Deezer and Google Play Music could simply offer the standard "Cast" option in their apps. Same for TuneIn and other platforms for radio streaming. The Smartphone initiates an action, and the google audio box does the rest, communicating with the servers on it's own, using the standard protocols.
For streaming services this could be a major help, because they don't have to rely on manufacturers implementing their service into a device. Any Google Audio Cast device will work, all they have to do is offer it in their apps.
Hardware Manufacturers also don't have to deal with all the different services anymore, they simply offer AirPlay and Google Cast, the rest is handled by the apps and the Cast protocols.

And for consumers it's also a good deal. No need for a local server (if you dont' use local media that is) and all features of the respective streaming service should work on any Cast enabled device. No need to wait and hope that new features will get implemented by Sonos/Logitech/Bluesound/Philips/whoever...

So, that's my interpretation. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I misunderstand the whole thing.
Time will tell...

erland
2015-01-09, 22:43
In my mind, this seams great for casual listeners that mainly listen to music through their smartphone but sometimes want to stream it to a speaker to make it possible for everyone else in the same room to hear the same thing. For this use case it's also great to get an alternative to AirPlay for people where an iOS devices isn't an option. It's good that Google realise that everything doesn't necessarily have to be played through a TV. We will have to see how far they will develop this since with no screen they have nowhere to display their ads, which is their main source of revenue.

I wonder if it works if a friend wants to play something on your speaker and you haven't given him/her access to your WiFi network ?
Will these devices offer a adhoc WiFi connection so it's possible for anyone to connect to them directly and play something without giving people access to your whole network ?

I'm still not convinced AirPlay, Bluetooth, Google Cast is the right solution for continuous listening or streaming to a whole house, in these use cases it just feels wrong to depend on everything being streamed through a battery powered WiFi enabled mobile device which have to be powered on and connected during the whole listening session.

poing
2015-01-10, 00:27
I'm still not convinced AirPlay, Bluetooth, Google Cast is the right solution for continuous listening or streaming to a whole house, in these use cases it just feels wrong to depend on everything being streamed through a battery powered WiFi enabled mobile device which have to be powered on and connected during the whole listening session.
But the main differentiating feature of Google Cast is that NOTHING is being streamed through your battery powered, WiFi enabled mobile device. Instead, the mobile device instructs the playback device to receive and play back an internet stream. Thus, it is merely acting as a remote control.

However, Google Cast has two disadvantages (IMHO). First, a sufficiently stable and fast internet connection is always required. Second, the Google Cast SDK is proprietary and heavily controlled by Google (e.g., every app supporting Google Cast must be registered and Google reserves the right to monitor what you do with the app as well as with the receiving device).

poing
2015-04-26, 05:33
So did anyone get their hands on actual devices?

I hear some LG Music Flow models which are Google Cast for Audio compatible are now shipping in the US. Like the LG Music Flow H3, H5, and H7 speakers (think Sonos Play:1, 3, and 5), a bridge, and soundbars.

wt0
2015-04-28, 03:30
As an alternative to Air Play or bluetooth speakers for streaming services like Pandora or Spotify, I think Google Cast for Audio is an interesting idea. However if a device that supports it has to work in exactly the same way as a Chromecast; ie. an embedded Chrome browser running Javascript apps, then a full fledged Squeezebox player app is impossible since a browser can only connect to a server using a limited list of protocols and SlimProto is not on that list.

Now if all someone wants is to stream from LMS then they can just use the existing http streaming feature and cast a tab from a Chrome browser.

madejackson
2015-06-19, 05:44
Is there any update on this? Somebody working on this?

In my Opinion, Google Cast for Audio is the new "must have" for every audio-Device in home enterainment.

Reasons:
- You don't need an addon for every music service, since quiet every app will or already have integrated google cast in there apps.
- You don't need to install an additional app to control your home-entertainment. Just press the "cast"-Button in your pre-installed app like Google Play Music.

Well, these pros are already available with an iOS-device due to Airplay, which is the only reason i am jealous of Apple-geeks.

Capt.insano
2015-06-22, 08:26
Also really interested in this, an android equivalent to Airplay/Shairtunes would be amazing.

It looks to my very untrained eyes that they have been releasing the API for audio casting:

https://developers.google.com/cast/

Any chance that this info could be used to implement some android audio forwarding love?!!

madejackson
2015-06-23, 01:14
Also really interested in this, an android equivalent to Airplay/Shairtunes would be amazing.

It looks to my very untrained eyes that they have been releasing the API for audio casting:

https://developers.google.com/cast/

Any chance that this info could be used to implement some android audio forwarding love?!!

Well, on the app-side, there is an API. This API can be used to implement the "Google Cast"-Function into your android app.

The problem is: There is no API for receivers like your LMS (Squeezeserver). At this Moment, only LG, Sony and Denon are able of producing hardware capable of receiving cast-streams.

If somebody takes the pain of implementing the cast-receiver into the squeezeServer, this somebody would need to apply to google and get the hands on the prequisitions. But I doubt, google will hand it over for an OpenSource-Device like the LMS, because it is OpenSource. If it is possible, that plugins for the LMS-Server doesn't need to be opensource, it might be possible.

EDIT: Since there are Android TV's, the Receiver-APK has been captured: http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/app-cast-receiver-app-android-t2900726

So it's possible to let a rooted android-device act as a cast receiver. Possibly this can be ported to Linux and the LMS :)