PDA

View Full Version : Been away from Squeezeboxes for about 5 years, what have I missed?

Gazjam
2015-01-04, 11:49
...apart from Logitech shutting it down :confused:

Used to contribute a lot here, particularly on the Touch forum doing VU meter screensavers and such.
Went down the music server/Jriver route into a good dac which is great, but just bought a Transporter (with the knob!) and have a couple of questions if I can ask?

1)
Anything new in Squeezebox land, particulalry for the Transporter?

2)
Has the open source community been updating the LMS software or is there a "final" version?

3)
Are all the Radio services still going?

4)
Can I use Jriver DNLA facilty to control LMS?
(Basically access my LMS library via Jriver on my Ipad)

5)
Can I "re-use" my *.M3U playlists I set up in Jriver on my Transporter?

6)
Does Spotify work yet? ;)

Thanks much.

garym
2015-01-04, 13:18
...apart from Logitech shutting it down :confused:

Used to contribute a lot here, particularly on the Touch forum doing VU meter screensavers and such.
Went down the music server/Jriver route into a good dac which is great, but just bought a Transporter (with the knob!) and have a couple of questions if I can ask?

1)

2)
Has the open source community been updating the LMS software or is there a "final" version?

3)

4)
Can I use Jriver DNLA facilty to control LMS?
(Basically access my LMS library via Jriver on my Ipad)

5)
Can I "re-use" my *.M3U playlists I set up in Jriver on my Transporter?

6)
Does Spotify work yet? ;)

Thanks much.

1. No
2. Yes, community updates. 7.8 "final" and 7.9 beta.
3. Yes
4. Don't know
5. Yes
6. Yes, but for transporter you need to run the Triode's 3rd party spotify plugin

Gazjam
2015-01-04, 13:50
Great, nice to hear the community's still going strong. :)

Thanks Gary.

DonJulien
2015-01-04, 13:53
On the opposite road that you took, I decided to give Jriver another go. I forgot I had enabled LMS's DLNA plugin, and to my surprise I found every Logitech renderer available as a DLNA zone in Jriver. I can even sync zones in LMS, play to any of the synced zones in Jriver and get synced output.
What you lose, of course, is all the DSP: crossfade, volume levelling, EQ (as you would while playing to ANY DLNA renderer).

But that is for the LMS as renderer part; I haven't tried the opposite (LMS library, Jriver renderer). I should try...

Gazjam
2015-01-04, 14:23
be an interesting experiment for sure. :)
Great to know #4 is do-able, I'm still running Jriver on my music server but introducing a Transporter into the mix to see who's the Daddy sound wise.
If the transporter sounds better than the Server/Dac I use just now...I'll use Jriver UI to play music to the transporter.
Best of both worlds then.

Currently I'm using a self build music server into my Dac for both music and movies.
I have an Oppo 103D bluray too and have been curious about setting that up as a "zone" in Jriver and use the Oppo as a video renderer. Better than Jriver MadVR playback engine...?
not sure but will check it anyway.
It MAY be actually, as I only use internal gfx in my server and cant run the high video playback settings.

With the Transporter coming soon, it'll be fun to set that up as a Zone for music playback and compare than and the Oppo compared to Jriver on its own.

Yes...I've too much free time atm. :)
Gotten to love Jriver over the last few years, fantastic its not a completely seperate Ecosystem from LMS.

erland
2015-01-04, 14:54
1)

On the hardware side most news are related to DIY projects such as Squeeze on Arch, piCorePlayer, SqueezePlug and similar which you can use together with a high-end DAC to get very good audio quality.

3)

Yes and we are working in the ickStream project to add more online services. ickStream is currently in open beta: http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/Open_Beta_Squeezebox

Fizbin
2015-01-04, 16:47
If your a PC guy, like me, Foobar2000 can now control the SBT and Transporter.

Wirrunna
2015-01-05, 21:50
What have you missed ?
1. The server software, currently called Logitech Media Server (LMS) has been greatly enhanced, especially in version 7.9 (thanks to M. Herger)
2. Software controllers - wifi apps for iThingy and Android phones and tablets to allow you to control your Squeezebox players.
3. Software players that run on the new System on a Chip devices like RaspberryPi, Wandboard, Cubietruck and Android media players

1. LMS
handles large local libraries without slowing down on scans or lookups (> 100K tracks without problems)
local art display of scans of booklets and album back covers (.jpg) files in the same folder as cover.jpg allowing viewing from the web gui or phone/tablet controllers
a few new plugins and some of the old ones have been constantly enhanced - e.g. Erlands plugins, Server Power Control, Spicefly SugarCube, Music & Artist Information
lots of streaming software for internet music (I don't use these but am aware of them)
much better and quicker text searches - Google like in both speed and usage, again available on the web gui or phone/tablet controllers
VortexBox have released excellent software to build a dedicated Fedora LMS system (http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=Howto).

2. Software Controllers - iPeng for iThingys , Orange Squeeze for Android are examples.

3. Squeezelite for Linux based systems (RaspberryPi, Wandboard etc), SB Player for Android, iPeng for iThingys. These allow small boxes (without inbuilt displays) to be configured as a player and controlled via your phone/Tablet. The RaspberryPi especially can be built as a single small box with an internal DAC to feed an amplifier.

philippe_44
2015-01-05, 23:43
I'm building squeeze2upnp, a small gateway/bridge application that runs on any machine and integrates uPnP/DLNA devices directly into LMS, as if there were just other squeezelite players

pippin
2015-01-06, 02:31
Oh, iPeng was already around five years ago - albeit without the player functionality :)
Of course it works so much better on today's faster and bigger devices :)

Gazjam
2015-01-13, 00:07
Thanks very much guys, most helpful.