PDA

View Full Version : Bryston BDP-2. What's the point?

valnar
2015-01-01, 14:10
I received an audiophile catalog today with Bryston BDP-2 shown front and center. Cost is $2995! It's only a digital music streamer - not even a DAC. I wouldn't dream of buying one for that price, but the glowing reviews of it baffle me. Basically it pulls the MP3/FLAC/whatever file from a hard drive or something via Ethernet or USB, sends it off to another DAC that you buy, and outputs those 0's and 1's to SPDIF. And unless I'm missing something obvious, those 0's and 1's get reclocked again by the upstream preamp/receiver that you already own before being sent to the speakers, right?

They also admit its just an Intel Atom board running Linux under the hood, with high-end inputs, outputs and power supply of course. :rolleyes:

So what am I missing here? Audiophiles are gushing over it, and no doubt it has high build quality, but I fail to see how it's even possible for this to output better quality music than any other run-of-the-mill squeezebox especially considering it doesn't even come with a DAC.

Yes, no? Am I far off base here? How are these owners hearing magical unicorn farts coming from it?

sc53
2015-01-01, 17:08
I saw it in the Audio Advisor catalog advertised as a "squeezebox replacement," but like you I couldn't see the value. No DAC! So a $3000 server?

valnar
2015-01-01, 21:17
I saw it in the Audio Advisor catalog advertised as a "squeezebox replacement," but like you I couldn't see the value. No DAC! So a $3000 server?

Yep, it was Audio Advisor. Had me intrigued until I thought about it....and saw the price.

garym
2015-01-02, 06:23
Yep, it was Audio Advisor. Had me intrigued until I thought about it....and saw the price.

plus, what kind of music server does it use. is it just DLNA/upnp (most likely). If so, that is also a giant step backwards compared to LMS (although there is good work going on to alllow LMS to stream to DLNA devices of all sorts, although with no sync).

valnar
2015-01-02, 07:16
Like I said, I'm trying to figure out how they can justify the price, and unless I'm missing something, WHY are there such good reviews for something that sits in the middle of the audio chain?

garym
2015-01-02, 07:21
Like I said, I'm trying to figure out how they can justify the price, and unless I'm missing something, WHY are there such good reviews for something that sits in the middle of the audio chain?

you're not missing anything. Heck, people sell $500 USB cables that don't do anything a $3 cable won't do.

paulster
2015-01-02, 12:16
It'll probably be a nice unit if you can get Squeezelite running on it. ;-)

doctor_big
2015-02-01, 05:36
It'll probably be a nice unit if you can get Squeezelite running on it. ;-)
It comes with squeezelite preinstalled.