PDA

View Full Version : What are your concert highlights of the year / of the last months?

reinholdk
2014-12-31, 07:31
Well, similiar to lists of favorite albums of the year (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102741-What-are-your-favorite-albums-of-the-year-of-the-last-months) we could also share live concert highlights of the year. Again, updates throughout the year are very welcome.

And it's up to you whether you want to give the exact date and location of the concerts you've visited or whether you want to provide some description or reasoning why you're considering them being highlights.

Here is my list for 2014 with Neil Young's performance as my top event.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Open air concert in Mainz, Germany. Venue located directly at the Rhein river. And Neil Young opened the evening with the absolute highlight of the show: a 26-minute version of the song "Down by the River". The three guitarists were standing together very closely and improvising quite relaxed. While younger musicians nowadays often play their songs live just as they sound on the records, the old guys seemed to have all the time of the world to extend the songs and create something individual. As it used to be more common for live shows in the 70s...

Agnes Obel
Great performance of the danish singer-songwriter on piano and vocals, accompanied by cello and violin.

Jan Garbarek & The Hilliard Ensemble
Norwegian jazz saxophonist Jan Garbarek accompanying the british classical vocal quartet on their farewell tour. Have seen them several times in the past (actually Garbarek is the artist with the most concerts I've visited). The venue - a perfect fit for their music - was a big church in a very old monastery, located in between vineyards above the Rhine valley. Great performance, great atmosphere.

Among many other great concerts this year I'd like to highlight (in no particular order):

Tori Amos - this time performing solo (piano and vocals).
Patti Smith - with her band (open air). A great experience as always.
Peter Gabriel - performing his 'So' album. Classical rock.
Klaus Doldingers Passport - open air. Great jazz-rock band lead by german jazz icon Klaus Doldinger. I'm enjyoing their concerts since more than 30 years!
Tangerine Dream - german pioneers of electronic music, still on stage. Also following for more than 30 years.
Ane Brun - norwegian singer-songwriter, this time performing solo (acoustic guitar and vocals). Very intensive.
Jazz Bigband Graz - usually I don't like bigband sound too much, but the JBBG sounds different: they add a electronics, ambient touch. Really great.