PDA

View Full Version : Good side-by-side comparison Squeezebox Radio and UE Smart Radio

Toontje
2014-12-22, 10:52
Hi all!

Does anybody know of a good side-by-side feature comparison between the Squeezebox Radio firmware and the UE Smart Radio firmware? Today i received my UE Smart Radio and i am evaluating if i should upgrade to the Squeezebox Radio firmware.

Thanks in advance,

Ton.

castalla
2014-12-22, 10:58
Hi all!

Does anybody know of a good side-by-side feature comparison between the Squeezebox Radio firmware and the UE Smart Radio firmware? Today i received my UE Smart Radio and i am evaluating if i should upgrade to the Squeezebox Radio firmware.

Thanks in advance,

Ton.

Squeezebox is 10 times more versatile ... at least.

Toontje
2014-12-22, 11:07
Squeezebox is 10 times more versatile ... at least.

Should i take that as a "Yes, you should switch to Squeezebox NOW!"?

castalla
2014-12-22, 12:11
should i take that as a "yes, you should switch to squeezebox now!"?

yes!

pippin
2014-12-22, 12:32
There are exactly three arguments for the UE firmware that I'm aware of

1. If you switch of the server a lot and you don't want to have to switch the radio between Logitech's online service and your own server

2. If you use several servers in parallel all of which you want to use

3. Was iHeartRadio but I think that's no longer supported.

So if 1 and 2 are not really important to you, you should switch. You get a better library, more stable system, 3rd part plugins, playlist support, many more 3rd party controller Apps (UE only has Logitech's and iPeng) and unlike UE it's still seeing development

Toontje
2014-12-22, 13:24
Convinced.

I just switched to Squeezebox, installed the LMS on a spare Raspberry Pi. Installed exactly the same Internet Radio app as i had on the UE and now my adventure starts. Finding out what all those plug-ins, etc do.

All working as planned!

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Mnyb
2014-12-22, 14:03
The most horrifying "feature" of UE is that it must have internet connection to play your *local* files

Toontje
2014-12-23, 01:01
Going through the tagging guide now. Lots of things to learn here. I thought i just bought a radio. ;-) Kidding, i LOVE tweaking stuff and yes, Squeezebox is cool.