PDA

View Full Version : Year sorting with more than one album per year?

SyrinxGC
2014-12-19, 03:08
I would like to be able to sort all my albums chronologically - also when someone has released more than one album per year.
I usually search for my music using Genre -> Artist ->Album, but it should work the same way if I start directly on Artist.

What happens now is that albums are sorted on year - of there are more than one album one year then these are sorted alphabetically on album title. By now I have added the albums releaseyear and month at the beginning of the album title but it makse sorting on album not working very well :-)

Is there a way to use a MONTH tag - or can I somehow use the RELEASETIME tag

I hope someone can help me with a really basic, newbie, explanation on how to do this.

I'm using LMS 7.5, Squeezbox Receiver and Ipeng 8. No add-ons.

Thanks

Stein

Mnyb
2014-12-19, 03:22
There is also a date tag you can use instead of year .

I'm not sure about how LMS would sort then or how it treatss different dtae/year schemes that are around in diffrent cultures ,try and report back ,good to know .

Sadly I suspect LMS strips of everything but the Year .

Example date 2014-12-24 (Xmas eve) as we Swedes would write it :) would be 2014 in LMS , but i dont know for sure .

SyrinxGC
2014-12-19, 03:48
Thanks again! :-)
MP3TAG allows me to add type in f.ex. 1994-12-24 (which is Christmas eve in Norway as well :-) in the YEAR tag, but LMS only reads the four fist digits.

On the MP3TAG forum I was advised to try the RELEASETIME tag with the format 2014-11-10T04:03:00Z
My problem is that I don't know how to make LMS look for it and use it.

What determines if LMS will sort on DATE, YEAR or ev. RELEASETIME?

EDIT: Can all the tags be used on both MP3 and FLAC?

Stein

JJZolx
2014-12-19, 04:42
MP3TAG allows me to add type in f.ex. 1994-12-24 (which is Christmas eve in Norway as well :-) in the YEAR tag, but LMS only reads the four fist digits.

On the MP3TAG forum I was advised to try the RELEASETIME tag with the format 2014-11-10T04:03:00Z
My problem is that I don't know how to make LMS look for it and use it.

You can't, so don't waste your time. LMS only stores the four-digit year of an album. There are no provisions for alternate sorting of the date, and there is only one date field in the database.

There is only one thing that I can think of, and it's not ideal. You can use the ALBUMSORT field, which will dictate how album names are sorted. You could prepend the album release date to the album name, or use any string that will cause them to be placed in the desired order. For example:

ARTIST=The Beatles
ALBUM=Yellow Submarine
ALBUMSORT=1969-01-13 Yellow Submarine

ARTIST=The Beatles
ALBUM=Abbey Road
ALBUMSORT=1969-09-26 Abbey Road

The problem with this approach is that it will screw up alphabetic sorting by album name, particularly noticeable when listing albums from multiple artists. What you might do is only use it on albums where you need to. Then, when you list all albums alphabetically, you'd have only a handful that are out of order (probably at the top of the list), with the rest of them correctly ordered.

Mnyb
2014-12-19, 04:55
You can't, so don't waste your time. LMS only stores the four-digit year of an album. There are no provisions for alternate sorting of the date, and there is only one date field in the database.

There is only one thing that I can think of, and it's not ideal. You can use the ALBUMSORT field, which will dictate how album names are sorted. You could prepend the album release date to the album name, or use any string that will cause them to be placed in the desired order. For example:

ARTIST=The Beatles
ALBUM=Yellow Submarine

ARTIST=The Beatles
ALBUM=Abbey Road

The problem with this approach is that it will screw up alphabetic sorting by album name, particularly noticeable when listing albums from multiple artists. What you might do is only use it on albums where you need to. Then, when you list all albums alphabetically, you'd have only a handful that are out of order (probably at the top of the list), with the rest of them correctly ordered.

Thank you for clearing this up for me to .

SyrinxGC
2014-12-19, 05:45

ARTIST=The Beatles
ALBUM=Yellow Submarine

ARTIST=The Beatles
ALBUM=Abbey Road

Thanks. That was what I feared - and what I have been doing so far. Seems I have to continue in the same track :-)

.... and there are no add-ons that would fix the problem?

Stein

reinholdk
2014-12-20, 14:37
Hmm...you could tweak the 'New Music' browsing to get a year-based sort order, but this would mean you would get the year-based list only via 'New Music' and not by browsing for genres or artists. And you would lose the standard ordering of the 'New Music' menu. And it also depends on the size of your library, since there's a limit for the size of the 'New Music' list, but you can set this limit in the LMS web UI (Settings->My Music->New Music Limit).

The tweaking could be done by setting the time stamp of the 'last write time' of your music files according to the album's release date. And I think this should be possible quite easily with a tool configuration in mp3tag that calls a batch file executing e.g. a powershell script. If you really want to try this I could create one for you.