PDA

View Full Version : Help- upgraded to fibre broadband, now players can't find server

Weystoner
2014-12-18, 08:28
Hi, things have been going great, so I haven't been around for a while. I have just changed to Plusnet Fibre, which came with a Technicolor TG582N router. I have been using a Touch and an SB3 using the previous ADSL connection via a Netgear router (which can't be used with fibre) and could access both mysqueezebox.com and LMS, located on my server. Now i am able to access mysqueezebox.com directly through the router, but the players can't find the server. Both players are wired through Devolo homeplugs; I have plugged the Touch directly into the router, but no change. I have also tried connecting by wi fi: again, no change.

This is a step too far for Plusnet support - they thought it might be a port forwarding problem, but were no further help. I've tried going thrrough the procedure for port forwarding on theis router, but it's asking me for port ranges and protocols, which are way above my level of incompetence. Can anyone please shed some light?

Many thanks,

Dave

d6jg
2014-12-18, 08:42
It is nothing to do with port forwarding.

It is a basic networking issue.
I would suggest that the new router's DHCP has dished out new/different IPs to the LMS & SBTouch.
Go to home screen on Touch do My Music, then Change Library - do you see your LMS listed ? If so try connecting to it again.

kidstypike
2014-12-18, 08:49
Hi, things have been going great, so I haven't been around for a while. I have just changed to Plusnet Fibre, which came with a Technicolor TG582N router. I have been using a Touch and an SB3 using the previous ADSL connection via a Netgear router (which can't be used with fibre) and could access both mysqueezebox.com and LMS, located on my server. Now i am able to access mysqueezebox.com directly through the router, but the players can't find the server. Both players are wired through Devolo homeplugs; I have plugged the Touch directly into the router, but no change. I have also tried connecting by wi fi: again, no change.

This is a step too far for Plusnet support - they thought it might be a port forwarding problem, but were no further help. I've tried going thrrough the procedure for port forwarding on theis router, but it's asking me for port ranges and protocols, which are way above my level of incompetence. Can anyone please shed some light?

Many thanks,

Dave

Touch and SB3 definitely connected to your network?

On your Touch > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Choose Network.

On your SB3 press and hold the left arrow > scroll up or down, is your LMS server listed, if not scroll to "Set up Network".

d6jg
2014-12-18, 08:56
Touch and SB3 definitely connected to your network?

On your Touch > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Choose Network.

On your SB3 press and hold the left arrow > scroll up or down, is your LMS server listed, if not scroll to "Set up Network".

OP said - "Now i am able to access mysqueezebox.com directly through the router, but the players can't find the server." - players are on the network but in all probability are still looking for LMS at an old IP

kidstypike
2014-12-18, 09:15
OP said - "Now i am able to access mysqueezebox.com directly through the router, but the players can't find the server." - players are on the network but in all probability are still looking for LMS at an old IP

Yes, but if LMS is running and players are connected to the same network they should be visible in the LMS player drop down box.

First thing I'd do on each player would be to go through Settings > Advanced > Networking, to see if the network is listed.

Weystoner
2014-12-18, 09:43
Many thanks for your replies.

D6jg: I went to 'switch library' on the Touch - it just tries to access the same one. At least I presume it is - it has the same name. Would it be anything to do with static/auto assigned IP addresses? I'm not sure how mine are configured.

kidstypike: I went to 'choose network' on the Touch: it connected OK. Your image showed LMS listing the player: in Settings my LMS says 'your player was not found' . I have tried reinstalling LMS, but no difference.

Dave

d6jg
2014-12-18, 09:46
Many thanks for your replies.

D6jg: I went to 'switch library' on the Touch - it just tries to access the same one. At least I presume it is - it has the same name. Would it be anything to do with static/auto assigned IP addresses? I'm not sure how mine are configured.

kidstypike: I went to 'choose network' on the Touch: it connected OK. Your image showed LMS listing the player: in Settings my LMS says 'your player was not found' . I have tried reinstalling LMS, but no difference.

Dave

Ok.
What platform is LMS running on?
PC - If so - do START/RUN/CMD then type "ipconfig" press ENTER- what does the PC report as its IP address ?

Weystoner
2014-12-18, 12:18
Ok.
What platform is LMS running on?
PC - If so - do START/RUN/CMD then type "ipconfig" press ENTER- what does the PC report as its IP address ?

It's on a PC running Vista.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: 192.168.1.64

d6jg
2014-12-18, 12:24
Was that the same is it was when you had the Netgear?
Are the SB3 & Touch in the same range i.e 192.168.1.x

Weystoner
2014-12-18, 12:59
I'm pretty sure it's the same as when I was running the Netgear router, but I have no way of checking for certain. SB3 and Touch are both in the same range, but dynamic

kidstypike
2014-12-18, 13:07
I'm pretty sure it's the same as when I was running the Netgear router, but I have no way of checking for certain. SB3 and Touch are both in the same range, but dynamic

Are you absolutely sure you're connected to your network, the SSID of the new router won't be the same as the old one.

Make sure you're not connected to a guest network, this has happened to someone recently.

d6jg
2014-12-18, 13:19
Also if the Netgear was 192.16.0.x or anyting other than 192.168.1.x then the whole network has changed. Check the firewall on your PC - are you allowing a different network through?
Is the new network a Home or Work network?
Can you ping the router and SB3 / Touch from the server?

Weystoner
2014-12-18, 23:53
Many thanks for trying to help with this guys.

kidstypike: I'm definitely connected to my network, and I can connect the Touch to it either by ethernet or wireless (not tried the SB3 on wireless yet).

d6jg: The Netgear was 192.168.0.1. The PC firewall is set for public, but is disabled - I recall a conflict with a previous router firewall that prompted me to switch it off. I have McAfee firewall enabled. Pings to Touch and SB3 were OK - no packet loss, average speed 0ms.

d6jg
2014-12-19, 07:56
As the Netgear was 192.168.0.1 you have a new subnet. Almost certainly Macafee or Windows firewall has detected it as a new network and is blocking connections to / from LMS.
Turn off firewall
Also check that Windows hasn't specified the network as "Public" instead of "Home" or "Work". You will find which in Network & Sharing Centre

d6jg
2014-12-19, 07:57
The other way of fixing it may be to change the new router to be 192.168.0.1 and DHCP range accordingly. Then reboot everything.

Weystoner
2014-12-19, 10:26
d6jg, you're a star; nay, the brightest star in the galaxy! The culprit was the McAfee firewall. I've turned it off permanently and reinstated the Windows firewall, and all is good. Can I assume that the server still has enough protection? The Windows firewall is set to public; as all attached devices are now communicating I don't see any need to change this, unless you can think of any reason.

Many, many thanks for your help,

Dave

Weystoner
2014-12-19, 10:28
Spoke too soon: the wife has just said that she can't get on her iPad. Here we go again.....

Edit: panic over: I've ticked the portable wireless devices exception and she's back on.

d6jg
2014-12-19, 13:29
Not sure if it's still available for Vista but Microsoft Security Essentials is a free AV that works well with Windows Firewall.
McAfee (and others) can be very intrusive and CPU intensive.
I can't answer whether ihaving McAfee switched off but the best AV is common sense.

d6jg
2014-12-19, 13:31
PS Glad to have helped.

garym
2014-12-19, 13:38
I second the free microsoft security essentials and using the built in windows firewall. McAfee is practically a virus in and of itself given all the problems it causes users.

Mnyb
2014-12-19, 23:45
It is probably possible to somehow configure McAffe to behave , but if the windows firewall is easier to maintain use it instead .

Afiak I think LMS presets some rules in the windows firewall on install .

If you use another product ( or another OS ) you have to set the firewall rules yourself .

port 9000 tcp and port 3483 udp/tcp

Weystoner
2014-12-20, 07:56
I think I will stop while I'm ahead. I may investigate Security Essentials and changes to McAfee when I'm feeling braver, perhaps in the new year. Meanwhile thanks to everyone and have a great Christmas break.

Dave