PDA

View Full Version : My SB Classic won't start up suddenly!

MAlgol
2014-12-10, 02:13
So I was in the mood to see if i could get the wireless to work on my SB Classic.
I disconnect the ethernet cable and start start it up again. Get to the connect to wireless option and it just turns black. First i think its looking for a connection but it never turns on again. Try to disconnect the power and connect again, nothing.

Did some searching and found tips about pressing "+" or "1" when connecting the power supply to reset but nothing.

Anyone have any idea what it could be and what to do about it?

cheers,
MAlgol

bpa
2014-12-10, 04:10
Did wireless ever used to work ?

Is your player an SB Classic or an SB3 ? If it is an SB3 you need to check whether a wireless card is installed or not.

Bearfaced
2014-12-10, 04:45
I disconnected the network cable and it just went dead. I was wondering if I'd damaged the power socket or if I'd broken a solder joint on the inside so I opened up the case and found that all the connectors are on a small circuit board that is soldered to the motherboard. The joints are difficult to check so I'm going to try and re-solder them today.

If that doesn't work then I'm going to be quite sad as I've had my Squeezeboxes for years and this marks the beginning of the end :(

I'll keep you updated if I manage to fix the thing.

I did read that if the Wireless module develops a fault then it can stop the whole device working, the module is easy to remove once you've got the SB open, there is a clip on either side of the wireless board and it pops out like a laptop memory chip. You could pop it out and see if your SB turns on.

epoch1970
2014-12-10, 11:19
Try to disconnect the power and connect again, nothing.

What I understand is: your SB3 is now stuck into booting to a blank screen and unusable ?
In this case, I would power off and power on the SB3, while pressing the back (<-) arrow on the remote. This should stop the boot process and bring you back to setup options where you can reset the SB3 to using ethernet, and hopefully boot up succesfully again.
(I have seen the screen turn blank momentarily when connecting to wireless, but not forever.)

MAlgol
2014-12-10, 22:30
Did wireless ever used to work ?

Is your player an SB Classic or an SB3 ? If it is an SB3 you need to check whether a wireless card is installed or not.
Its a Classic and it has been used with wireless before but the last two moves it hasn't worked.

What I understand is: your SB3 is now stuck into booting to a blank screen and unusable ?
In this case, I would power off and power on the SB3, while pressing the back (<-) arrow on the remote. This should stop the boot process and bring you back to setup options where you can reset the SB3 to using ethernet, and hopefully boot up succesfully again.
(I have seen the screen turn blank momentarily when connecting to wireless, but not forever.)

Nothing. =(

Is there a big difference between Classic and SB3 when it comes to hardware and functions?
Should the same "tricks" work with both?

bpa
2014-12-11, 01:32
Is there a big difference between Classic and SB3 when it comes to hardware and functions?
Should the same "tricks" work with both?

No difference.

As said before broken WLAN card will prevent SB startup and will result in blank screen in this case red LED from optical connector will still be lit. SB will boot without WLAN card so you can test by removing WLAN card and seeing if SB boots. If not check PSU

MAlgol
2014-12-11, 02:03
No difference.

As said before broken WLAN card will prevent SB startup and will result in blank screen in this case red LED from optical connector will still be lit. SB will boot without WLAN card so you can test by removing WLAN card and seeing if SB boots. If not check PSU
Without WLAn card? Can I even remove it on a Classic?

Oh, and it doesn't looks like the optical connector is lit. =/

bpa
2014-12-11, 02:41
AFAIK SB3 and classic are identical - WLAN card is a separate replaceable module on SB2, SB3, Classic, Boom, Receier and Transports. For SB Classic repair see http://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair

If LED is not lit (check in darkened room just in case it is dim) - check the PSU. Be careful if not using a SB replacement SB PSU as identical barrel size does not means compatible voltage and polarity.

MAlgol
2014-12-11, 03:05
AFAIK SB3 and classic are identical - WLAN card is a separate replaceable module on SB2, SB3, Classic, Boom, Receier and Transports. For SB Classic repair see http://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair

If LED is not lit (check in darkened room just in case it is dim) - check the PSU. Be careful if not using a SB replacement SB PSU as identical barrel size does not means compatible voltage and polarity.

My bad, the Optical do light up.

bpa
2014-12-11, 06:42
My bad, the Optical do light up. That's good.

Bearfaced
2014-12-11, 06:52
OK so I checked the power connections and power is getting to the main board, the optical out is lit although it seems really dim, I've tried without the wireless module and made sure that the daughter board is connected correctly. The PSU is supplying 5v, I can only assume that a component has failed somewhere :(

epoch1970
2014-12-15, 13:37
The PSU should provide 5V tension at an intensity of 2 amps. I have seen PSUs on the weak side of 2A failing to power an SB3.

MAlgol
2014-12-16, 07:55
All is good!
Disconnected the wireless card and it started up. SomedayI might try connecting it again and see if it was a temporary problem but not today.

Thanks a ton all!

cheers,
MAlgol

HuskerDu
2014-12-22, 11:34
Just want to say i'm happy that today my dead SB3 is working again with a new PSU (15E). :)