PDA

View Full Version : A Look Back And A Suggestion

earthbased
2014-12-07, 08:35
Now that we are 3 or more years from the start of the destruction of Slim Devices by Logitech what has happened? Home streaming options for a good sounding stereo have decreased, consumers have been corralled into pay per month (or advertising) smart device solutions with lock in, in all very bad. The best solution I can find now if my Squeezeboxes crap out is to use a Macbook (or Mac Mini) with AudioEngine wireless to stereo to play my FLAC files and stream independent internet radio via SqueezePlay.

I would like to hear from others if you think the network streaming market has went forward or backward. Is no one thinking of buying back the Slim Devices IP?

Apesbrain
2014-12-07, 09:32
Sorry, but I don't buy your premise. First, my Squeezebox solution will not "crap out" so long as I can easily build a renderer based upon a Raspberry Pi or some similar platform. Second, Logitech may have left the game but there are more "streaming" players now than ever: Apple, Bluesound, Bose, Cambridge Audio, Definitive Technology, Denon, OnAir, Phorus, Polk, Samsung, Sonos, Sony, and more. The problem (small as it might be) has become the number of competing technologies. Apple has imposed order on its side with AirPlay; let's see if everyone else can come together around Play-Fi or some other standard (or address the audio limitations of DLNA.)

Sure, Slim Devices (and Roku) were ahead of their time and I'd love to have seen what they'd be offering today but I'm not losing sleep over it. Logitech would be foolish to sell the IP; when they finally figure out this is a market they should be in, why would they want to start from scratch? Anyway, who would want to buy it when the software is available free and hardware sold by third parties?

earthbased
2014-12-08, 07:56
What third party audio devices connect to LMS? The Denon Ceol looked interesting until I saw it has no line out (I have 2 channel stereos). Sonos Connect looks more like a direct replacement but much more expensive as it always was, with no plugins. My requirement is to not have to have a computer on other than NAS to stream my FLAC files to my (3) stereos using iOS to manipulate the playback. Suggestions for when the day comes other than Sonos?

d6jg
2014-12-08, 10:03
The only scenario (other than stock LMS) that meets my requirements is a hybrid of LMS, iPeng & Apple Airplay. I am not sure if it was really what Pippin intended but it really opens the door to a very extended shelf life for LMS (and iPeng) even if all my hardware players failed.

ddewey
2014-12-08, 10:28
Quoting earthbased (earthbased.6ot9an (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> What third party audio devices connect to LMS? The Denon Ceol looked
> interesting until I saw it has no line out (I have 2 channel stereos).
> Sonos Connect looks more like a direct replacement but much more
> expensive as it always was, with no plugins. My requirement is to not
> have to have a computer on other than NAS to stream my FLAC files to my
> (3) stereos using iOS to manipulate the playback. Suggestions for when
> the day comes other than Sonos?

RaspberryPI or other such devices. I had an old Receiver start to
fail yesterday (been coming on for a while); unplugged it and
plugged in a RaspberryPI/HiFiBerry-based player I had standing by
and was back running in less than 5 minutes.

You don't have to build your own, there are people selling
ready-to-deploy units that are exact snap-in replacements. This
environment isn't going anywhere, no need to jump ship.

dasmueller
2014-12-08, 11:03
Quoting earthbased (earthbased.6ot9an (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

You don't have to build your own, there are people selling
ready-to-deploy units that are exact snap-in replacements. This
environment isn't going anywhere, no need to jump ship.

Can you post or PM me w a link as these snap-in replacement providers

d6jg
2014-12-08, 11:06
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281514702069?_mwBanner=1

d6jg
2014-12-08, 11:11
Or
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131345230359

ddewey
2014-12-08, 11:49
Quoting dasmueller (dasmueller.6othwn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> ddewey wrote:
> > Quoting earthbased (earthbased.6ot9an (AT) no-mx (DOT)
> > forums.slimdevices.com):
> >
> >
> > You don't have to build your own, there are people selling
> > ready-to-deploy units that are exact snap-in replacements. This
> > environment isn't going anywhere, no need to jump ship.
>
> Can you post or PM me w a link as these snap-in replacement providers

I assume this guy is a member here, was looking at these earlier
after I saw the link on the Squeezebox Facebook page:
http://www.digitallivingroom.co.uk/

basically the exact same thing I built (even uses the same case) but
saves you the fun of putting them together yourself.

Not endorsing this vendor or his site, just something I saw earlier
today that might meet the need.

dasmueller
2014-12-08, 12:34
Thanks guys ! At least I have a source for an alternative should one of my SB Touch units fails. Much appreciated.