PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Duet and QNAP

rhe_griffs
2014-12-05, 19:24
Hello,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help with my system. It has worked for years, but I think I have messed it up and some help from someone familiar with the Duet setup please.

Everything worked OK until I moved house. Problems started with a faulty power supply on the NAS which caused disks to fail and I then started playing with things (not knowing what I was doing) until I diagnosed the power supply.

I have a QNAP TS209 running with 3.3.3 and Squeezebox 7.5.1. I cannot get my Duet to talk to the server and locate my music. My Duet has a blue LED indicating it can see the network. I can see my Duet from MySqueezebox.com and with my PC connected directly to the 209 or from my wireless network, I can open squeezebox server from my PC and see the music files. I can successfully stream music via Twonky to my TV. I am using wireless and no firewalls.

Things started to go wrong when I upgraded to 7.6.1.

I have downgraded my firmware to 3.3.2 and even back to 1.1.5 but nothing changed, now it is at 3.3.3. Yesterday I tried to install LMS 7.7.2 and each time it failed at 50% exactly. If I try to select 7.6.1 via QPKG and 09 ARM, then the version offered is 7.5.1. This installs OK.

What I really need to know is what are the hardware and software versions I should be using for the QNAP, the Logitech Server (or Sueezebox server) and the logitech controller.

I think I have an incompatibility somewhere, or should it all work great with the laterst and greatest.

I would appreciate any help to get this working again.

Regards

Neil

philippe_44
2014-12-05, 19:47
Hello,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help with my system. It has worked for years, but I think I have messed it up and some help from someone familiar with the Duet setup please.

Everything worked OK until I moved house. Problems started with a faulty power supply on the NAS which caused disks to fail and I then started playing with things (not knowing what I was doing) until I diagnosed the power supply.

I have a QNAP TS209 running with 3.3.3 and Squeezebox 7.5.1. I cannot get my Duet to talk to the server and locate my music. My Duet has a blue LED indicating it can see the network. I can see my Duet from MySqueezebox.com and with my PC connected directly to the 209 or from my wireless network, I can open squeezebox server from my PC and see the music files. I can successfully stream music via Twonky to my TV. I am using wireless and no firewalls.

Things started to go wrong when I upgraded to 7.6.1.

I have downgraded my firmware to 3.3.2 and even back to 1.1.5 but nothing changed, now it is at 3.3.3. Yesterday I tried to install LMS 7.7.2 and each time it failed at 50% exactly. If I try to select 7.6.1 via QPKG and 09 ARM, then the version offered is 7.5.1. This installs OK.

What I really need to know is what are the hardware and software versions I should be using for the QNAP, the Logitech Server (or Sueezebox server) and the logitech controller.

I think I have an incompatibility somewhere, or should it all work great with the laterst and greatest.

I would appreciate any help to get this working again.

Regards

Neil

Silly question ... did you do a factory reset of the duet ? (longpress on the receiver button)

rhe_griffs
2014-12-05, 20:10
Silly question ... did you do a factory reset of the duet ? (longpress on the receiver button)

yes, I held the button for about 4 secs until led flashed red quickly. if that is a factory reset.

philippe_44
2014-12-05, 20:44
yes, I held the button for about 4 secs until led flashed red quickly. if that is a factory reset.

And then you did a full re-install, using the remote, WiFi setup and so on ? Did you also factory reset the remote ?

rhe_griffs
2014-12-05, 21:24
And then you did a full re-install, using the remote, WiFi setup and so on ? Did you also factory reset the remote ?

Yes full reset of handset and re-install. I can get the Duet to sync (blue LED) and I can see duet via my squeezebox but I cannot see music via controller. I am convinced all my software versions are now incompatible, but that is a guess based on no knowledge. I can stream via two key to TV.

philippe_44
2014-12-05, 22:56
Yes full reset of handset and re-install. I can get the Duet to sync (blue LED) and I can see duet via my squeezebox but I cannot see music via controller. I am convinced all my software versions are now incompatible, but that is a guess based on no knowledge. I can stream via two key to TV.

Well, I have 3 receivers and they use to give me a hard time. What I usually do for that, in trying to eliminate the issues

0- I agree it looks like compatibility, but ...
1- Factory reset - you did
2- Try wired to eliminate WiFi issues. If this solves the problem, then you might have a reception problem (not low signal, but interferences - there's a reason for that, a manufacturing defect in the receiver that is easy to fix). This is unlikey, but most of my problems started when I moved to another house as well and ended to be related not at all to what I thought - I know it sounds strange, but the behavior of my receivers was non-sense and completly illogical as well.
3- Install another LMS on any computer and try to connect to this other instance. If this solves the problem, has you made a completly clear installation on your NAS, including wiping out cache ?
4- Have you tried wireshark to log a bit what's happening between the receiver and your server ?

Mnyb
2014-12-06, 01:23
What happens if you press " my music " on the remote you could possibly be conected directly to mysqueezebox now ?

Also dont forget to enter your mysqueezebox.com login in the local server .

rhe_griffs
2014-12-06, 13:36
Well, I have 3 receivers and they use to give me a hard time. What I usually do for that, in trying to eliminate the issues

0- I agree it looks like compatibility, but ...
1- Factory reset - you did
2- Try wired to eliminate WiFi issues. If this solves the problem, then you might have a reception problem (not low signal, but interferences - there's a reason for that, a manufacturing defect in the receiver that is easy to fix). This is unlikey, but most of my problems started when I moved to another house as well and ended to be related not at all to what I thought - I know it sounds strange, but the behavior of my receivers was non-sense and completly illogical as well.
3- Install another LMS on any computer and try to connect to this other instance. If this solves the problem, has you made a completly clear installation on your NAS, including wiping out cache ?
4- Have you tried wireshark to log a bit what's happening between the receiver and your server ?

I will try the wired setup and see what happens. should I go back a version on my receiver?

rhe_griffs
2014-12-06, 13:38
What happens if you press " my music " on the remote you could possibly be conected directly to mysqueezebox now ?

Also dont forget to enter your mysqueezebox.com login in the local server .

pressing my music just gives an error that I need to install squeezebox music server. No music folders found.

philippe_44
2014-12-06, 15:59
I will try the wired setup and see what happens. should I go back a version on my receiver?

I don't think so

toby10
2014-12-07, 02:21
Try stopping and restarting just LMS on the NAS. Can your Duet connect directly to MySB.com and play streams?

d6jg
2014-12-08, 02:53
I have 2 QNAPs running at present.
The closest to yours is a TS109 (single disk version of what you have). This is my "library testing" version but also acts as a live backup.
Current firmware version: 3.3.2 Build 0918T
I have LMS 7.7.2 installed and running. I did this by removing the old 7.5.1/7.6.1 along with SSOTS QPKG and then installed the single LMS 7.7.2 QPKG which includes the correct version of SSOTS. NOTE I had to get the 7.7.2 QPKG via the QNAP forums as by default you are only offered 7.6.1 at 3.3.x. There was a thread about it. You MUST install via QPKG as it includes a correctly configured SSOTS. Otherwise I don't remember there being any issues but it was a fairly long time ago.
There was once an issue created by a firmware upgrade which destroyed some symlinks and meant the LMS could see the music folders but that was easily fixed.

d6jg
2014-12-08, 02:56
The thread
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=35740
You MUST uninstall old SSOTS/LMS first.

The necessary download
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8298909/Qnap/LMS/LogitechMediaServer_7.7.2_arm-x09.zip

rhe_griffs
2014-12-12, 16:12
The thread
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=35740
You MUST uninstall old SSOTS/LMS first.

The necessary download
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8298909/Qnap/LMS/LogitechMediaServer_7.7.2_arm-x09.zip

Thanks very much for the help. I have n
ow installed 3.3.3 and LMS 7.7.2. Not yet tested but I feel confident.

I did install WinSCP and I did notice all my permissions are incorrectly set? when I try to change it seems to want to link to every single music file, so it takes ages? it eventually crashes out after 5 minutes and never gets to 1% complete . I sense something isn't right. Also owner is set to admin for all directories and I don't know how to change? do I need to even?

Thanks again

Mnyb
2014-12-12, 23:02
Thanks very much for the help. I have n
ow installed 3.3.3 and LMS 7.7.2. Not yet tested but I feel confident.

I did install WinSCP and I did notice all my permissions are incorrectly set? when I try to change it seems to want to link to every single music file, so it takes ages? it eventually crashes out after 5 minutes and never gets to 1% complete . I sense something isn't right. Also owner is set to admin for all directories and I don't know how to change? do I need to even?

Thanks again

It takes a while to change permissions on a lot of files ,but maybe not that long depending on size of library and speed of the hardware .

But you definitely should use Putty or some other SSH tool and use the command line to change this .

If it's necesssy ? Can LMS a read the music files and read and write to your playlist folder then everything is ok .

rhe_griffs
2014-12-13, 10:21
It takes a while to change permissions on a lot of files ,but maybe not that long depending on size of library and speed of the hardware .

But you definitely should use Putty or some other SSH tool and use the command line to change this .

If it's necesssy ? Can LMS a read the music files and read and write to your playlist folder then everything is ok .

Almost there! I have successfully installed LMS. from my PC I can connect to media server via the QPKG link x.x.x.x:9001 and configure. I selected the location where the music is and see all my music. But when I try to play, directory is empty. this must be the access I need to sort out.

I can now connect to the duet via my receiver. this is progress. .but again, music folder is empty.

Now going to try and sort out the rw access and hopefully this will sort it.

rhe_griffs
2014-12-13, 13:39
Almost there! I have successfully installed LMS. from my PC I can connect to media server via the QPKG link x.x.x.x:9001 and configure. I selected the location where the music is and see all my music. But when I try to play, directory is empty. this must be the access I need to sort out.

I can now connect to the duet via my receiver. this is progress. .but again, music folder is empty.

Now going to try and sort out the rw access and hopefully this will sort it.

I can't change my admin rights. I receive errors from various folders and album art denying the changes. it is definitely access rights as I can see photographs in one folder which has public access but not my music? windows explorer even shows restricted access so my Duet has not chance to read it. I am sure this a quick and simple fix. can I fix this with a cli command or via QNAP admin?

Man in a van
2014-12-13, 14:33
I can't change my admin rights. I receive errors from various folders and album art denying the changes. it is definitely access rights as I can see photographs in one folder which has public access but not my music? windows explorer even shows restricted access so my Duet has not chance to read it. I am sure this a quick and simple fix. can I fix this with a cli command or via QNAP admin?

Don't know if this will help, my qnap is a TS121 with 4.1.1 firmware so the set up may be a little different.

I run everything with just one user "admin".

Try this

On the Qnap NAS go to Control Panel>Shared Folders (in Privilege Settings).

This will list your folders.

Under the ACTION column you can click on Access Permissions (middle) or Properties (left)

Click Apply and Close

hope this helps

atb

Ronnie

rhe_griffs
2014-12-13, 14:55
Don't know if this will help, my qnap is a TS121 with 4.1.1 firmware so the set up may be a little different.

I run everything with just one user "admin".

Try this

On the Qnap NAS go to Control Panel>Shared Folders (in Privilege Settings).

This will list your folders.

Under the ACTION column you can click on Access Permissions (middle) or Properties (left)

Click Apply and Close

hope this helps

atb

Ronnie

Ronnie,

Thanks for the help but my firmware and interface are completely different. But I do have everything under a single admin account.

Neil

Man in a van
2014-12-13, 15:14
Ronnie,

Thanks for the help but my firmware and interface are completely different. But I do have everything under a single admin account.

Neil

Ah well Neil, sorry that was no help.

I must say, the more I play with these NAS things the more I feel a simple computer with storage is the better LMS option.

I also run an O2 Joggler with external hard disk and it is pretty solid (can even play a DSD sample file into my Squeezebox Radio) which I can't do with my Qnap NAS 'cause it has an Arm processor, whilst the Joggler is Intel.

Next year I'm going to look at the small form PCs that are starting to appear with the Bay Trail CPUs. There is more and more faffing about with these Arm CPUs than I care for.

Hope you solve your problemo soonio.:)

atb

Ronnie

Man in a van
2014-12-13, 15:35

Neil, have you checked through the manual with regard to the access rights?

Or have I completely got hold of the sticky end of the stick?

rhe_griffs
2014-12-13, 19:14
Neil, have you checked through the manual with regard to the access rights?

Or have I completely got hold of the sticky end of the stick?

Yes unfortunately you have the sticky end. My old nas has a different user interface.

rhe_griffs
2014-12-13, 20:36
I have fixed this -well sort of. The problem I have now is definitely access rights.

I created a new shared folder, copied some music files in from the old directory and everything works. but I don't want to copy everything it will take ages?

I'm my old folder! top directory owner is admin and each music folder and directory the owner is also admin! but I can't change. the system won't let me and I don't know how to write the necessary commands.

in the new share I created, the music folder has admin as owner, but all folders and files below owner = guest. The logitech server needs all files to be guest.

Can someone please instruct me how to change, or must I copy the files manually?

regards

Neil

Man in a van
2014-12-14, 02:16
I have fixed this -well sort of. The problem I have now is definitely access rights.

I created a new shared folder, copied some music files in from the old directory and everything works. but I don't want to copy everything it will take ages?

I'm my old folder! top directory owner is admin and each music folder and directory the owner is also admin! but I can't change. the system won't let me and I don't know how to write the necessary commands.

in the new share I created, the music folder has admin as owner, but all folders and files below owner = guest. The logitech server needs all files to be guest.

Can someone please instruct me how to change, or must I copy the files manually?

regards

Neil

Neil, I can't offer the advice you need but my feeling is that to cure this (as a last resort) it's time for a back-up, reformat and re-install.

You then start from scratch with things how you want them.

Long time operations can run overnight.

Good Luck

Ronnie

Did you watch the game against SA the other week?

d6jg
2014-12-15, 06:41
1. Go to QNAP, Network Services, switch on SSH

2. Get yourself Putty
Connect to IP address of QNAP - username "admin" and whatever your admin pw is
do

cd /
cd share - this might not be necessary on your version
cd Qmultimedia
ls -la - lists the contents of the folder look carefully at the ownership - user/group - of the folder you created that works

chown user.group -R YourMusicFolder - where user and group is the same as the working folder

the -R tells the server to do it recursively ie. everything beneath the top level folder

Check that the permissions are correct - some debate here but if you are the only person with file access to music onto the server then 0777 is OK

chmod 0777 -R YourMusicFolder