PDA

View Full Version : Tidal or Qobuz?

Furry
2014-12-03, 04:37
I've recently been trying these services (aided by ickstream - many thanks Pippin & co.).

They both cost 19.99 per month (UK), and both stream 'CD quality' 16bit/44.1kHz as FLAC.

But, Qobuz also allows downloading to buy HD albums at 24bit, seems to have more new albums, and a larger collection.

So, I'm thinking Qobuz is the one to go for.

Do these findings correspond with others'? Any other points I should consider?

TIA.

CommanderROR
2014-12-03, 05:45
I've been experimenting with several services for quite a while and will attempt to answer...

Tidal/Wimp HiFi has better apps, better search and sorting and a far more complete catalogue.
However, they still have gaps in their FLAC catalogue (files that were forgotten when they upgraded from AAC/mp3 to FLAC) and they are NOT working very hard on fixing that...

Qobuz has some albums in better quality (different masters? Different encoding?), that is something I noticed myself, and it was later confirmed by a comparison done by some audio magazine (I forgot which one). However, there are also cases where Wimp HiFi/Tidal sound better.
The problem with Qobuz is, they have a pretty patchy catalogue and their apps and also search engine are not up tp standard.

So, that's my impressions for you! I hope ot helps.

matka
2014-12-03, 09:24
Do these findings correspond with others'? Any other points I should consider?
TIA.
My experience is quite diferrent from the previous response, but that's what you get when you ask for opinions :).

It is quite possible that this depends on the music type you are after. My listenning is mostly classical and jazz and I find qobuz catalouge impressive. I also prefer qobuz webplayer (desktop player does not work on Linux even under wine, of course it should be fine on Windows). Playlist management is much easier, for example, if you have multiple albums in your playlist then they are clearly displayed as albums on the top.

I tried Tidal for about a day, seen Spotify like interface and cancelled immediatelly.

I suggest to have both for a month or two and then choose.

CommanderROR
2014-12-03, 13:39
@matka

That's surprising. I listen, almost exclusively, to classical music, and had trouble finding stuff, in part dur to the search engine, in part due to the catalogue. Interesting... ;)
I'm not overly happy with the Wimp Android App either though. Ease of use, catalogue and so on, it's hard to neat Google Play Music, even with the unofficial API and Plugin, but they don't have lossless...

Maybe I should give Qobuz another go... I found it especially lacking with film music. Try a search for "Star Trek" or "Harry Potter", that's where ot came up almost blank for me. But my latest trial was a few months ago.

EDIT: The ickstream Plugin for Qobuz is quite well done as far as I can tell. So, maybe really worth reevaluating. They currently don't have a radio function, but you can vote for things you want to see in the future.
Check this out, I just lent my voice to it, maybe we can make this happen?

http://aide.qobuz.com/forums/231766-ideas-ideen-idee%C3%ABn/suggestions/6655725-radio-function

matka
2014-12-03, 14:57
@matka

That's surprising. I listen, almost exclusively, to classical music, and had trouble finding stuff, in part dur to the search engine, in part due to the catalogue. Interesting... ;)
I'm not overly happy with the Wimp Android App either though. Ease of use, catalogue and so on, it's hard to neat Google Play Music, even with the unofficial API and Plugin, but they don't have lossless...

Hm..., I just did a search on qobuz.com for "Star Trek" and got 4 albums directly related and bunch of other somehow related, got more for Harry Potter. I don't have access to the plug-in now (@work) to verify search there, but if I remeber there is an option in the plug-in settings that works for some people but it did not work for me, so I turned it off. I also have to admitt that quite often I search on the web, grab the release id from url and use this to search in plug in. Also, try qobuz webplayer (and desktop if you run Windows or Mac), much superrior to the Spotify or Tidal offering...

I will get to ickStream bit later, busy with other things.

EDIT: confirmed same search results from web as from plug-in.

CommanderROR
2014-12-03, 15:32
The Qobuz Plugin mherger wrote for LMS has the "Filter" option, to try and make sense of Qobuz' weird search results... ;)
The search is also something that is often lamented in official reviews of Qobuz and also frequently requested on the Qobuz help and ideas board... ;)

But they do have the best audio quality...

netchord
2014-12-04, 06:53
The Qobuz Plugin mherger wrote for LMS has the "Filter" option, to try and make sense of Qobuz' weird search results... ;)
The search is also something that is often lamented in official reviews of Qobuz and also frequently requested on the Qobuz help and ideas board... ;)

But they do have the best audio quality...

in my (very) small comparisons between the two services, I concur- Qobuz sounds better. i won't try and quantify "better" just yet, but i found it easier to listen to for extended periods of time.

axelwin
2014-12-06, 02:21
To run new test on Qobuz, wait for dec 15th > they announced they will launch a major update of their applications (maybe including update of their search algorithm with any luck !)

Furry
2014-12-06, 03:01
Thanks, all, for useful responses.

I'm now subscribed to both, but I'll probably discontinue Tidal after a month or so.

CommanderROR
2014-12-06, 03:11
@axelwin

That would be good news. I've currently also got both, and Qobuz does sound great, but the search algorithm and the much smaller catalogue are a hindrance for me. I find myself using Wimp HiFi more, because I often can't find what I want on Qobuz, either because it's not there, or because it gets buried under "weird" search results.

I have time until the 27th to decide...

Btw...where did you find the December 15 info? I did not see it anywhere, but did not dig very deep either...

herve
2014-12-06, 05:18
On the qobuz's blog :
http://blogs.qobuz.com/qobuzblog/2014/11/26/qobuz-evolue-actualite-innovation-sublime-flac/

axelwin
2014-12-07, 09:23
@axelwin
Btw...where did you find the December 15 info? I did not see it anywhere, but did not dig very deep either...

I found it in an official com' from Qobuz on their french blog :
http://blogs.qobuz.com/qobuzblog/2014/11/26/qobuz-evolue-actualite-innovation-sublime-flac/

CommanderROR
2014-12-07, 10:19
Thanks.

mintaudio
2014-12-09, 10:57
The upcoming Qobuz Sublime tariff sounds good. Pay up front for HD streaming.. get it slightly cheaper plus all 24bit downloads at mp3 pricing.

Furry
2014-12-09, 11:48
The upcoming Qobuz Sublime tariff sounds good. Pay up front for HD streaming.. get it slightly cheaper plus all 24bit downloads at mp3 pricing.

Are you sure this includes HD streaming? (by which I mean streaming at 24bit rather than 16 bit CD-quality).

I hope so, but the description of the tariff only mentions downloading of HD, with streaming (still) at CD-quality ('Hi-Fi'); A Sublime subscription gets you discounts on downloads.

mintaudio
2014-12-09, 13:59
Are you sure this includes HD streaming? (by which I mean streaming at 24bit rather than 16 bit CD-quality).

I hope so, but the description of the tariff only mentions downloading of HD, with streaming (still) at CD-quality ('Hi-Fi'); A Sublime subscription gets you discounts on downloads.

Sorry.. I meant CD quality streaming. 16/44

CommanderROR
2014-12-17, 13:22
So far no changes on Qobuz, at least here in Germany. No new Android App, and no other noticeable changes. Did anyone else see this December 15 Update yet?

axelwin
2014-12-17, 13:57
So far no changes on Qobuz, at least here in Germany. No new Android App, and no other noticeable changes. Did anyone else see this December 15 Update yet?

On iOS, the new application is available on the store (it is not an update of current application but a new version 3.0 to download on the store).
The search algorithm seems more efficient (just made test through ickstream plugin and getting good results now : test with "the do" now working !)

CommanderROR
2014-12-17, 15:09
Ok. Nothing new on Android yet. Maybe it needs some more work. They currently serve app 2.5 beta, uploaded beginning of November.

Furry
2014-12-31, 10:30
Having tried Tidal alongside Qobuz for a while now, I'm pretty sure that Qobuz sounds better.

Actually, I've had several albums sound pretty naff via Tidal, sort of dull / lo-fi, when compared with the same album on Qobuz. I'm not convinced it's due to different formats (though I don't know if the format of these albums has been different), because even mp3 320k doesn't sound quite so inferior to 'CD quality' as I've found the Tidal albums sound; I wonder if there's a bandwidth issue.

kemurrays
2015-03-23, 02:17
I did much AB comparisons this weekend and believe Tidal won out with sound quality over Qobuz?....k

CommanderROR
2015-03-23, 16:53
Surprising. But it probably depends on the tracks. Tidal will win some, Qobuz others, mostly they'll be the same.
Only problem: Tidal is not 100% FLAC, they have quite a few mp3 tracks in their catalogue while Qobuz has a complete FLAC catalogue.
On the other hand... Qobuz has more gaps in their selection, at least at the moment.

local.bin
2015-03-24, 04:15
I've been a Qobuz user for over a year now and did decide to renew when I had the email from Qobuz with what upgrades they are planning for the coming year.

I am led to believe there will be upgrades coming to the website and search engine following their recent upgrades to their apps.

I understand their website will look like their apps so they have the same feel throughout.

My only concern is how these changes may affect our squeezebox plugin, but for now unknown.

I did try Tidal for a month and liked it, but am not bothered about music videos and like the audio reviews and weekly video of releases that Qobuz do, plus Tidal didn't offer annual reductions so I stayed with Qobuz in the end.

CommanderROR
2015-03-24, 08:33
I wouldnt' worry too much about the Squeezebox Plugins. They are not linked to Mysqueezebox.com, so they will be updated. One is maintained my mherger and the other is part of Ickstream, where there were already some provisions for upcoming changes made in thr lastest update (HighRes streaming), so I think our bases are covered...