PDA

View Full Version : WaveInput setup issue

monkaiboy
2014-11-19, 14:19
I'm having issues getting WaveInput plugin to work. I know there have been a few threads on this previously but I couldn't find a solution. I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone could offer.

I'm running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.4 on Windows 7, with an RME multiface soundcard. I have a player on a Pi running SqueezePlug.

I have installed the plugin fine, and it appears in my plugin list:

When I select "wavin:0" as the Tune In URL, and play some audio, I get no audio output. The same for wavein:1.

One issue may be my audio configuration. I have an RME Multiface soundcard, and this does not have a "Stereo Mix". (I have checked hidden and disabled devices)

If I run wavin2cmd.exe -l from the command line I get the following list:

"Analog (1+2) (RME Hammerfall DS"
"Analog (7+8) (RME Hammerfall DS"
"Analog (5+6) (RME Hammerfall DS"
"Analog (3+4) (RME Hammerfall DS"

which is as I would expect, given the audio configuration.

I have tried running wavin2cmd.exe -w -o wavin:0 > audiocapture.wav which does generate a wav file but it is not playable. If I stream the output to stdout, there's a whole lot of stuff coming through. So something is working at least but no output.

Any thoughts as to the best way to proceed?

Thanks a lot,
Kai

bpa
2014-11-19, 14:48
You don't seem to have a sound device that copies the speaker output (e.g. Stereo Mix )

Check if you have one (Control Panel / Hardware & Sound / Sound/Manage Audio devices / Recording) and if so then enabled it

Then using the Windows accessories recorder check you can record from the sound card when playing audio through a media player.
edit:

I'm not familiar with the RME multiface sound card but it looks to be quite sophisticated and not a simple audio output and as such has its own driver and hence unlikely to have a "stereo mix" capability. My guess is that card may have its own sound recording capability probably configured from its own control panel. The WavInput application uses an old Windows audio subsystem and it is possible that some feature may not be provided through the interface and so wavin2cmd will not be able to access the recording device. If you can record the audio output with Sound Recorder accessory then it is likely wavin2cmd will also work

monkaiboy
2014-11-20, 04:05
Many thanks for your fast reply.

After spending a while parsing your suggestions, the penny dropped and I realized that this "Stereo Mix" input is a loopback thing. I have the ability to do that with the RME [by ctrl-clicking the output, if anyone is interested].

Once I enabled loopback, everything worked perfectly!

I am however getting extremely high latency right now (several seconds). How do I change the buffering settings for WaveInput to try to improve this?

Thanks again for your help,

Kai

bpa
2014-11-20, 06:18
There will alway be a latency gap with WaveInput due to drivers, Windows, LMS and network transmission. On some Windows systems, user can never reduce the delay enough.

There is only one setting on LMS which can affect the delay.

The WaveInput Plugin generate an audio stream which is treated by LMS similar to a remote http radio station. So the WebUI Setting/Advanced/Network/ Radio Station Buffer settings determines how much of audio stream is buffered in player before playing starts (i.e. delay between start and when audio is heard) . System default is often 3 but often users will have adjusted it higher.

If you wish to have a lower settings for WaveInput then you can edit the plugin source code and add in the following bufferThreshold routine after the isRemote router in plugin file WAVIN.pm

sub isRemote { 1 }

# Set threshold level of audio data buffered in player before playing starts. Values is in kb. Max value is 255
sub bufferThreshold { 20 }

The value in bufferThreshold is in kbytes of data - how many playing seconds (i.e. latency) depends on stream format. Too small and stream will stutter.

Changes to plugin will only take effect when LMS is stopped and restarted.

Mnyb
2014-11-20, 06:23
Many thanks for your fast reply.

After spending a while parsing your suggestions, the penny dropped and I realized that this "Stereo Mix" input is a loopback thing. I have the ability to do that with the RME [by ctrl-clicking the output, if anyone is interested].

Once I enabled loopback, everything worked perfectly!

I am however getting extremely high latency right now (several seconds). How do I change the buffering settings for WaveInput to try to improve this?

Thanks again for your help,

Kai

A hardware squeezebox also have a very large buffer that you cant change (at least 30 seconds ) and you want it ,otherwise it would be extremely sensetive to network glitches .

You can for example never use this plugin for movies or any kind of video sync .

Why you dont notice when playing files with LMS . The controll protocoll that LMS uses to the players goes in front of the buffer thats why pause play and stop are instant .

When you use wavin its like your own radio stream you start and stop the stream with some other application before any buffering . hence the lag when starting and stoping from another program and also a time delay .

monkaiboy
2014-11-21, 15:23
ok thank for the tips.

very happy with the plugin...

cheers,
kai

schwimma
2014-11-23, 08:37
with this plug in i am able to play vinyl from my thorens in another room

it is really great