PDA

View Full Version : Touch Gapless Question

Leo#
2014-11-19, 05:22
Hiya,
I am setting up a home network comprising a Win 8 desktop & Synology DS 213 NAS with twin WD Green 3 TBs in one room & a Yamaha RX-675 A/V amp driving B&W DM602 S3 speakers with a Panasonic P50GT50B TV in another.
I want to play gapless flac files stored on the NAS on the A/V amp without having to turn on the PC.
Will the Squeezebox Touch allow me do this? Anyone know of any other hardware able to do this?
TIA

garym
2014-11-19, 05:38
Hiya,
I am setting up a home network comprising a Win 8 desktop & Synology DS 213 NAS with twin WD Green 3 TBs in one room & a Yamaha RX-675 A/V amp driving B&W DM602 S3 speakers with a Panasonic P50GT50B TV in another.
I want to play gapless flac files stored on the NAS on the A/V amp without having to turn on the PC.
Will the Squeezebox Touch allow me do this? Anyone know of any other hardware able to do this?
TIA

Yes, the SB touch (in fact all squeezeboxes, touch, duet receiver, transporter, etc.) will play gapless. You don't need the PC, but you do need Logitech Media Server running on something. It will run on some but not all NAS units (which after all are PCs too, just small headless ones). Sonos might also be considered. It will play flac files gapless and should work with the files on your NAS without the equivalent to LMS needed anywhere. Just make sure you don't have more than 65,000 tracks, or maybe less depending on tags. And Sonos won't play hi-res files.

dafiend
2014-11-19, 09:17
Hiya,
TIA
If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, you should get WD Reds.

And +1 to the answer of the previous poster.

Leo#
2014-11-21, 03:27
Hiya,
Thx for your replies. I'll have to check out eBay.

My current WD 3TB Greens are approaching capacity so I plan to replace them with 4 TB Reds. Listening Father Christmas :)

JohnB
2014-11-21, 04:24
Although I am sure that those advocating WD Red HDDs are correct, I almost always buy Greens for external HDDs and my HP Microserver on the basis that they have lower power requirements and therefore generate less heat for the external HDD, to dissipate. Obviously that isn't an issue with fan assisted devices but I believe it is a real issue with passively cooled boxes.