PDA

View Full Version : OT - I need a new pair of wireless headphones

d6jg
2014-11-16, 14:12
In the Living Room I have an SB3 that is attached to my AV Receiver using both digital and analogue connections. I mainly use the analogue via Zone 2 to a separate Sony amp for listening via headphones while SWMBO is watching TV. I have a number of pairs of headphones ranging from some top end wired ones to a pair of Sennheiser RS 130's which are RF wireless. They are perhaps 10 years old and the on ear volume control is starting to cause issues so I am after a new pair of wireless cans. I do not want Bluetooth. Anyone got any suggestions. I can afford something better than the RS130s but struggling to find anything other than Sennheisers as a possible replacement. Ideally I want a stand/recharge cradle like the130s.

Apesbrain
2014-11-16, 14:54
I can afford something better than the RS130s but struggling to find anything other than Sennheisers as a possible replacement.
Any strong reason for rejecting Sennheiser? I think they remain the leaders in this particular space (non-BT wireless). Not sure there is a wireless set of cans that sound as good as the best wired but the RS220 probably comes closest. The RS170/RS180 can be had at a great discount since they are slightly older tech.

All that said I once had a pair of higher-end Sony RF phones that I thought sounded ok. Their MDR-HW700DS looks promising, but expensive. A less-expensive MDR-HW300K is also available.

d6jg
2014-11-16, 15:01
Definitely not rejecting Sennheisers. I am just not aware of anything else. I will need to test the RS170/180 and 220 I guess.
Leakage could be an issue for SWMBO but the RS130s are open she doesnt complain about them so I guess audio quality and comfort should be my main criteria.

Trouble is I am also tempted by the B&W P7s as a new set of wired cans. I tried a pair in an Apple Store of all places and was rather surprised at just how good they made the music on my iPhone sound.

I dont think I can afford both in one hit

Apesbrain
2014-11-16, 15:17
Well, you could go with the wired phone of your choice and something like this:
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/W3-Wireless-Audio-Adapter

You can even power the receiver with a battery pack:
http://www.amazon.com/Jackery%C2%AE-Premium-iPhone-Charger-3200mAh/dp/B00L9F95RO/ref=pd_sim_cps_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JJC7KAJZKWZ6P008XY2

EDIT: I guess you'd also need a headphone amp. Starting to get pricey.

d6jg
2014-11-16, 16:10
Um. I guess I could just plug my cans into my iPhone and use the iPeng player. That would achieve the same result without the sender/receiver wouldn't it? Perhaps if I added a truly portable headphone DAC/amp ....

jimbobvfr400
2014-11-17, 11:55
Um. I guess I could just plug my cans into my iPhone and use the iPeng player. That would achieve the same result without the sender/receiver wouldn't it? Perhaps if I added a truly portable headphone DAC/amp ....
Just about to post a similar suggestion. I do similar for listening at home with head phones but on Android.

d6jg
2014-11-17, 12:21
Jim. What do you run on the Android? SB Player?
Are you the same JimBob who frequents the Joggler forums?

ButC
2014-11-17, 12:36
I had a couple of RS120 and got myself the RS180. It's like night and day. The RS180 are amazing. Much better sounding and they still have all the goods of the RS120. I'd definitely opt for the RS180.

d6jg
2014-11-17, 14:22
Using a pair of Sennheiser HD201s - cheap closed cans but nice sound - plugged into a mk3 ipod touch with ipeng player.
Sounds better than the RS130s! No hiss at all.
Might have to rethink things a bit.

Ipeng on this version of ios will only run foreground but that isnt an issue as long as I remember.

Battery life might cause issues but I'll run in this mode for the week and see what occurs.

d6jg
2014-11-19, 14:27
I have ordered a Topping NX1 portable headphone amplifier and I am going to give the iPod Touch/Topping NX1 combo with my HD201s some serious testing. The cable on the HD201s is too long really. Good excuse to get those P7s which have 1.2 metre coiled cable.

jimbobvfr400
2014-11-20, 09:32
Jim. What do you run on the Android? SB Player?
Are you the same JimBob who frequents the Joggler forums?
No I use Squeeze Player. Mainly because I'd already paid for it before SB Player came out, also I do still have a desire Z on Gingerbread working as a SB in my garage, although I very rarely use it, I believe SB Player needs Android 4.x or better.

Yes I am a Joggler Fanatic and the same JimBob ☺ I have 3 of the little blighters, 1 running my LMS and being my main SB player, another as a player in another room and the third as just a controller on the other side of my kitchen, all running SqPOS by roobarb, IMO just about the best SqueezeBox hardware ever!

d6jg
2014-11-20, 11:03
No I use Squeeze Player. Mainly because I'd already paid for it before SB Player came out, also I do still have a desire Z on Gingerbread working as a SB in my garage, although I very rarely use it, I believe SB Player needs Android 4.x or better.

Yes I am a Joggler Fanatic and the same JimBob [emoji5] I have 3 of the little blighters, 1 running my LMS and being my main SB player, another as a player in another room and the third as just a controller on the other side of my kitchen, all running SqPOS by roobarb, IMO just about the best SqueezeBox hardware ever!

Do you want another? I bought one which was running an old O2 software. It was in really good condition, boxed, original instructions etc and not a scratch on screen. I had it running for an hour or so then tried to flash it and fear I cooked the EFI chip. I have now got another for my need - a now playing and control screen. I think someone who knows what they are doing and has the nerve to pull the chip will be able to get the dead one going again. FOC.

jimbobvfr400
2014-11-20, 17:43
That's very generous and yes very tempted to have a crack at resurrecting it. Have you tried the blind stabbing at a keyboard method of recovery first though?

d6jg
2014-11-21, 05:34
That's very generous and yes very tempted to have a crack at resurrecting it. Have you tried the blind stabbing at a keyboard method of recovery first though?

Yes. I have tried all that. On boot the screen flashes once but no o2 logo etc. I am led to believe that a failed flash will still show the o2 logo ? but that the Joggler won't boot. I can't even boot from USB disk (tried various).

Posted on Joggle about it
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2136&sid=59e56b93b8377fa76f83bf5bee425cc7

I am more than PC literate but I just don't fancy the chip swap. I can tell that the Joggler in question has never had its case opened etc as the covering labels are intact. When it arrived - a month or so ago - I was very pleased with its condition and then very annoyed with myself for probably cooking the chip. If you are interested in taking it just shout and I will give you a means to contact me properly.

d6jg
2014-11-22, 15:06
Joggler aside. I have opted to get a Topping NX1 portable headphone amp and coupled with a 2nd Gen iPod Touch, iPeng with the in-app purchased player and a pair of Sennheiser HD 201s I have a rather nice sounding alternative to the RS130's.
The iPod Tpuch's onboard headphone amp is a bit weak but this Topping NX1 sorts that!

EDIT. I should add that there is some slight interference from the wifi to the amp if you piggy back the iPod onto the Topping using the supplied Velcro. This is not a problem if you separate the 2 devices. There is no interference whatsoever if you operated from music stored on the iPod.