PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Pi-based player?

cgallery
2014-11-06, 08:29
I've read the audio quality of the Raspberry Pi isn't great, many guys building RPi-based Squeeze players are upgrading to HiFiBerry cards.

The question I have is, how is the audio quality of a Raspberry Pi compared to the standard chip used in the original SLIMP3? Any thoughts there?

cliveb
2014-11-06, 12:44
I've read the audio quality of the Raspberry Pi isn't great, many guys building RPi-based Squeeze players are upgrading to HiFiBerry cards.

The question I have is, how is the audio quality of a Raspberry Pi compared to the standard chip used in the original SLIMP3? Any thoughts there?
I've never heard a SLIMP3, but I can say that the quality of the Pi's onboard audio is pretty dire - very noisy. I would say it's worse than the onboard sound on any ATX-type motherboard I've ever heard.

wortgefecht
2014-11-06, 13:22
I agree--but onboard HDMI is not that bad, imho. But since I only run a Pi with RaspBMC connected to my tv (sound via a soundbar) as a video player, I have no real experience concerning its 'audiophile' qualities as a SB player.

cgallery
2014-11-07, 07:31
Thanks guys.

About six months ago someone gave me a Raspberry Pi (original). They bought it but didn't know what to do with it, and figured I would.

So yesterday I finally tried making it into a Squeezeplug device.

I can confirm the sound isn't great. It really is unusable where midfi is concerned. To use it as a player, a better DAC would need to be installed. Thinking of ordering a HifiBerry, as I really have no other use for this thing at the time. I also like the fact that there is an alsa equalizer I can use in combination (I think) which would be nice. That way I can adjust the eq w/o the server knowing or being able to change things.

Apesbrain
2014-11-07, 07:43
I use the RPi B analog out with an amplified portable speaker and it's fine for that. One of the things said to be improved on the B+ is the analog audio quality but I've no first-hand experience there. If I were going to use it with my stereo it would seem short money to invest in a HiFiBerry DAC or Digi. With the B+ versions there's no longer any need to solder.

cliveb
2014-11-07, 08:02
Thanks guys.

About six months ago someone gave me a Raspberry Pi (original).
[snip]
Thinking of ordering a HifiBerry, as I really have no other use for this thing at the time.
Be aware that there are some versions of the Pi which cannot be connected to a HiFiBerry (not even with soldering). Earlier versions simply don't have the PCB pads you need. (I know mine doesn't). So be sure to check the photos on the HiFiBerry site and compare with what your Pi has.

wortgefecht
2014-11-07, 08:15
Be aware that there are some versions of the Pi which cannot be connected to a HiFiBerry (not even with soldering). Earlier versions simply don't have the PCB pads you need. (I know mine doesn't). So be sure to check the photos on the HiFiBerry site and compare with what your Pi has.

Yes, you need revision 2 of the B model in order to be able to solder on the HiFiBerry, because revision 1 does not have the necessary P5 connector. This article here explains what you should see on your Pi (http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/09/raspberry-pi-p5-header/). In this case, you need the HiFiBerry DAC: http://www.hifiberry.com/dac

If you have a B+ board, there is no need for soldering and you can buy the DAC+: http://www.hifiberry.com/dacplus/

cgallery
2014-11-07, 10:15
OMG I'm so glad you guys brought up the P5 connector. I had seen that mentioned as a requirement at the HifiBerry site, thought "you better check that," and then forgot.

So I just checked mine, no P5.

So any other good options for sound cards for the HifiBerry being used for SqueezeLite via SqueezePlug?

wortgefecht
2014-11-07, 10:50
Well, I have no experience with revision 1, but here is a list of I2S DACs for the Pi:

http://volumio.org/forum/list-i2s-dacs-for-raspberry-t1103.html

There are even some DACs that do not need any P5 connector.

A caveat, though: I think, that most of these DACs are not supported by Squeezelite and others (note though, the link I provided is from the forum for Volumio, another audio player software for the Pi--so some players do support them).

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

d6jg
2014-11-07, 12:27
There are quite a few USB Dacs that work out of the box. I use a Behringer UAC 202 but it doesn't support 24 bit only 16 bit. It does however work with picoreplayer with almost zero config.

slate
2014-11-07, 13:25
Yes before all the add-on boards appeared many used the Pi as an transporter to feed a DAC via USB

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/List-of-USB-DACs

Grumpy Bob
2014-11-07, 21:33
I have two x Raspberry Pi model B rev 2. In general, both are running PiCorePlayer*. PiCorePlayer has its own thread in the Linux/Unix forum. It runs entirely in RAM making powering on/off a straightforward process. One Pi has a HiFiBerry DAC, which performs pretty well in my opinion. PiCorePlayer seems to perform well with USB output to a DAC as well (I've used a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 and a DacMagic XS headphone DAC/amp). I've also got one of the Wolfson DAC cards, but I find it a bit difficult - needs a modified kernel and won't work with PiCorePlayer.

Robert

* I occasionally try other approaches, including Squeezeplug, and non-Squeeze systems such as Runeaudio and Volumio - but for me PiCorePlayer is the best.

cgallery
2014-11-08, 07:38
I'm going to find a USB DAC, I've been looking at the reviews and honestly trying to find a cheap one that will work for me.

The PicorePlayer is interesting to me but because I'm a computer guy, having a spare NIX box around is always welcome. In fact, one of the first things I did with Squezeplug was find I had gcc so I cranked-in a hello.c. Impressive compile time, too!

paulster
2014-11-08, 11:19
For cheap, but great, USB DACs take a look at the HiFiMeDIY ones. I have a couple of the asynchronous ones on my secondary zone players and they are really quite impressive. Plus you can add the voltage regulator option afterwards to get a noticeable improvement too.